Buddy Upgrades

mfsanso

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone, I thought I'd let you all in on a fairly obvious blunder that I made (almost) the hard way.

Buddy upgrades are fairly common and can be a fantastic gift for a loved one or a friend. As it turns out, places like wirefly.com, letstalk.com, and radioshack.com, while offering great deals on hardware (phones), have separate terms and conditions than Sprint and Best Buy. Sprint welcomes buddy upgrades with open arms and always seems excited for you when you upgrade your phone (why not, more money in their pockets). Apparently, wirefly doesn't share the same enthusiasm.

I purchased the SE4G2 with my wife's phone number using her eligibility (mine's up in April) on wirefly.com last Friday evening (the day of release) and the phone shipped on Monday. I was super excited and checked it all weekend and tracked it during its shipping. The emotional roller coaster that you all sent me on in these threads made for quite the week! Thanks though to reading different threads, I found out my problem before it became a giant headache.

As it turns out, if I had received the phone (it arrives today), open it up, activate it on my wife's line, then call Sprint and perform the swap, wireflly would see the ESN of their device was changed to a different line and they would have charged my credit card the extra $500 (price difference from full price to discounted price). I could have still reversed everything and gotten a refund (likely partial) but it would have cost me more time on the phone with both Sprint and wirefly (plus who knows how many "activation fees").

As it stands now though, I'm going to have to return the phone for a full refund (assuming its not damaged during shipping) and then go to BB or Sprint to buy a phone (assuming their inventories allow).

I hope this helps others not make the same mistake I almost made. Spread the word! Those terms and conditions that we all agree too are always endlessly long and are easy to just glaze over...

ls108

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Wow!

You caught a huge break,many don't read the small print in the terms and conditions dealing with 3rd party re-sellers.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
that. socks...good that you found out n4 you received it though. Thats 1 of many reasons why this forum great and others like. I would go to Sprint based on BB having limited to no stock depending on the store.

mfsanso

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
that. socks...good that you found out n4 you received it though. Thats 1 of many reasons why this forum great and others like. I would go to Sprint based on BB having limited to no stock depending on the store.

That's my plan. I was going to take some time off of work sometime mid next week and call before I go to make sure that they have inventory. Do you know if sprint stores are taking reservations if inventories are low?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699