Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default White screen tinted blue

Hey everyone,
    I'm a new convert to Android. I couldn't resist switching over from my FrankenPre 2 on Sprint to the Epic Touch. It's taking some getting used to, but the device is amazing. I am, however, noticing a blue tint to the screen whenever it should be displaying pure white. The effect is greater as you view from an angle. Is this an issue with the phone, or is it how Samsug's Super AMOLED Plus screen simply reproduces whites? It's not a deal breaker, but it is pretty annoying. Is anyone else seeing this issue with their phones?

ROM
    Blazer ROM/Stock Kernel

I think it has to do with auto brightness. Try setting brightness to max and they again

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: White screen tinted blue

Quote Originally Posted by tkemack View Post
    I think it has to do with auto brightness. Try setting brightness to max and they again

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G
    Disabled auto brightness, set brightness to max, and nothing. Blue tint at any brightness level.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I'm a new convert to Android. I couldn't resist switching over from my FrankenPre 2 on Sprint to the Epic Touch. It's taking some getting used to, but the device is amazing. I am, however, noticing a blue tint to the screen whenever it should be displaying pure white. The effect is greater as you view from an angle. Is this an issue with the phone, or is it how Samsug's Super AMOLED Plus screen simply reproduces whites? It's not a deal breaker, but it is pretty annoying. Is anyone else seeing this issue with their phones?
    most likely its a typical super amoled + issue, which displays more bluish/cold whites than warm whites. see here, AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

Hey everyone,

I have noticed that the blueish tint or yellowish/brown tint depending, is just the nature of the beast when it comes to AMOLED screens. Same problem has been reported with the Captivate, Droid Charge and Infuse.

Global Posts
    890 Global Posts

yep I noticed it to sadly. I do a lot of photography on white backdrops so It really stuck out to me. I played around with the brightness settings and it got somewhat better but its always there. I'm willing to live with it.

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB

It's an issue with the SAMOLED+ displays but the rest of the color spectrum should even it out
    The Officer
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Officerpolabear View Post
    It's an issue with the SAMOLED+ displays but the rest of the color spectrum should even it out
    The screen is absolutely beautiful, but the more I browse the web, and the more I see the washed out white color, the more annoying it becomes. I think I may stop by the Sprint store tonight to see if it's an exaggerated issue with my phone, or if they are all like this. Might peek at the Photon as well...

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

I have the same issue! Got my SGS 2 today and the blue tint is super annoying!! I compared it to my EVO and EVO 3D and the SGS 2's whites look like crap!!

I really like everything else about it....but since I use the browser alot, I'm not sure this is a keeper!!!...

Just need Samsung to update their color profile to a warmer setting

Go to Settings>Display>Screen mode. 3 color profiles to choose from.

The screen is absolutely beautiful, but the more I browse the web, and the more I see the washed out white color, the more annoying it becomes. I think I may stop by the Sprint store tonight to see if it's an exaggerated issue with my phone, or if they are all like this. Might peek at the Photon as well...
    Yes its an issue with the supposedly superior screen technology. Even as your brightness is lowered its gets even worse to where it is not white at all!! The problem with what most commenters are advising you by turning the brightness all the way up will have a drastic drain effect on the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by jaypee68 View Post
    Go to Settings>Display>Screen mode. 3 color profiles to choose from.
    I tried this and this doesn't help at all.

Oh yeah and it makes the FB application look absolutely horrendous!

Question to everyone that posted. Did you folks notice this blue tint when you first purchased the phone? I don't think it was this bad when I first got it and it seems to be getting worse. Its to the point where white doesn't show at all.

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB

I think all you guys are worrying about it too much, to the point where that's the only thing that you're focusing on so ALL you're seeing is blue! . Yes, I am aware of the fact that it has the blue tint (have a Samsung Epic here), but at least in my experience, in a couple of months, you will get used to it.
    The Officer

i've noticed that if you look head on at the center of screen, the colors appear warmer but as soon as you go off angle (tilt the phone 30 degrees or so), they become blue tinged and get progressively bluer tinged. its most noticeable at low brightness. anyone else see this?

I compared the E4GT to the Photon over about a week long period, and the Photon definitely has more natural colors and whiter whites. Ebook reading in particular is better on the Photon, because black/white contrast is better. However, video on the Photon is terrible (particularly SD Netflix), while it's excellent on the E4GT. So, pick your poison.

I also noticed that there's some variability in screens. My wife's E4GT has a bit warmer (i.e., less blue) white than mine. She won't trade me, however.

Mine is just about perfect if you remove the check from the automatically adjust screen to optimize with image. I don't have the phone with me so maybe someone can be more specific on that option. If you look at the other side there is nothing that displays black as well as this phone. And you are correct the tint varies from phone to phone.

You could also try going into settings, & go into display & check what the screen mode is set to? It will give you 3 choices of how you want colors to display. Hope this may help.

Try using soft screen tuner. Helps tweak the color temp and RGB values . Should help with your tint. [App] Soft Screen Tuner - xda-developers