How to best set your Swype settings for new usage?

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

As a new user to Android and touch screen typing (I'm a form WebOS user), I'm starting to become very frustrated.

Everyone I speak to says to learn Swype that is the best keyboard input for the touch screen.

So I check off all the auto stuff in settings to make it better (I thought) for me.

Now, if I start clearly hitting the letter 'T' for the first letter, it thinks I typed the letter 'V'.

And so on.

It's so bad that I am restoring toward touch typing and that isn't even coming up with the correct letters.

The the big question of the day (before giving up and having to return this beautiful phone) what are the best settings I should be using with this version of Swype that comes with the phone.

And is there a way to modify the 'dictionary' to add words to it, which might help (to add my name for example).

And is there a way to clear out the cache settings if it's really learn something bad from me.

Thanks!

Rob

PS If you think this is not the right keyboard software for a new user, what keyboard software should I be using? Thanks again!

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
As for swype i just use default settings. I actually use swiftkey keyboard though. Its a paid keyboard and it's really great at predictive text. I like alot and suggest trying it. Its paid app though so idk if you would be willing to dish out a couple bucks.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
One thing I realized about the Swype keyboard is that the language button is right next to the SYM button that is very often used to get to numbers and symbols. It's the one with the little globe looking thing with the letters "EN" or "ES" underneath. I've accidentally hit it a couple of times, changing the language, and causing Swype to go haywire.

I bet a lot of people who have said Swype isn't working properly have hit that button on accident. It's a TERRIBLE place for that toggle button.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Update:

Things are better and I'm getting a little more used to the Swype keyboard usage.

So now I will ask again, what are the best settings that I should try to get the most out of Swype.

Of course, keep it in English! LOL! (But why did they place that EN/ES key so close to the SPACE bar?

So where should I place the 'Speed vs. accuracy' setting, should the green bar be all the way to the right, or in the middle? What setting do you use. (please let me know how far the green bar is filled up).

Auto-spacing, seems that when the word suggestion (I have Word Suggestion turned on) is placed in the typed area, it is adding a space when I'm not finished typing a word out.

How do you have Auto-Spacing set.

Under the 'Word Suggestion' settings, what do you guys have checked off?

And finally, how does one add or edit words in the dictionary that it uses, do I need a utility for that (and if so, what is the name of the one I should use).

Thanks!

Rob

gleff

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
This is what I consider to be the best Swype settings.. It's of course my opinion but it strikes a good balance in my opinon of speed and accuracy and gets rid of the clutter making it easy to type.

Best Swype Settings

Geoff

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo