The GPS/location icon in the status bar is on a lot on my phone. I am not in the browser, using maps or anything like that. I am wondering why. It seems to be affecting my battery life. I know I can tunr it off altogether, but then have to manually turn it on when I need it. Anyone else seeing this?
    09-21-2011 06:33 PM
    What apps do you have installed that are not stock(come with the phone)?
    09-21-2011 06:52 PM
    No but unless you really you need the gps on you should turn it on anyway. It saves your battery life. I also have the phone set to turn everything off when screen is off.

But i have yet to see whats happening to you with your gps icon.
    09-21-2011 06:54 PM
    I have too many apps installed to list. I don't think any run in the background though. Lookout is the only I can think of, but I had that on my last phone and didn't have this problem.

As to always keeping it off, the problem is you won't get search results based on your location, which sucks.
    09-22-2011 11:06 AM
    Is it google's places? I think if you have "check in" prompts turned on its always looking to see where you are so it can ask if you want to check in.
    09-22-2011 11:08 AM
    I never started Places until you mentioned it. I opened it, but don't see an option for check-ins.
    09-22-2011 11:17 AM
    I've gone to using Wireless Networks only and turning the gps on when needed (like for navigation). The wireless networks gets close enough for most things and I don't see the locating icon flashing in the status bar (though it could still be locating me all the time I guess).
    09-27-2011 02:42 PM
    I had this problem the other day, but I have never used any social-locating services, only plain ol GPS. But I realized that I had clicked "User sensor aiding" option, and even when I turned off the GPS from the notification bar, the target would flash. So I had to turn on GPS and then uncheck that sensor aiding function and then turn off GPS.
    09-27-2011 03:47 PM
    I think what the other poster meant, was "latitude". That's another google thing that checks you in. Latitude is imbedded within google maps

Sent from a pocket-sized computer that also makes calls
    09-27-2011 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD