Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Always locating me

The GPS/location icon in the status bar is on a lot on my phone. I am not in the browser, using maps or anything like that. I am wondering why. It seems to be affecting my battery life. I know I can tunr it off altogether, but then have to manually turn it on when I need it. Anyone else seeing this?

Default Re: Always locating me

What apps do you have installed that are not stock(come with the phone)?

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

No but unless you really you need the gps on you should turn it on anyway. It saves your battery life. I also have the phone set to turn everything off when screen is off.

But i have yet to see whats happening to you with your gps icon.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have too many apps installed to list. I don't think any run in the background though. Lookout is the only I can think of, but I had that on my last phone and didn't have this problem.

As to always keeping it off, the problem is you won't get search results based on your location, which sucks.

Is it google's places? I think if you have "check in" prompts turned on its always looking to see where you are so it can ask if you want to check in.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I never started Places until you mentioned it. I opened it, but don't see an option for check-ins.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I've gone to using Wireless Networks only and turning the gps on when needed (like for navigation). The wireless networks gets close enough for most things and I don't see the locating icon flashing in the status bar (though it could still be locating me all the time I guess).

Global Posts
    2,821 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock...for now

I had this problem the other day, but I have never used any social-locating services, only plain ol GPS. But I realized that I had clicked "User sensor aiding" option, and even when I turned off the GPS from the notification bar, the target would flash. So I had to turn on GPS and then uncheck that sensor aiding function and then turn off GPS.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch->Samsung GS3 16GB Pebble Blue->LG G3 White

ROM
    Blazer ROM/Stock Kernel

I think what the other poster meant, was "latitude". That's another google thing that checks you in. Latitude is imbedded within google maps

Sent from a pocket-sized computer that also makes calls