question about weak radios

bobby35ny

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The wifi and phone radios are pretty weak on this phone.
Is this a hardware issue or can a software update later boost the radios?
-bobby

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The wifi and phone radios are pretty weak on this phone.
Is this a hardware issue or can a software update later boost the radios?
-bobby
Wifi & radio aren't week for me much better then EVO

Check to make sure PRL is up to date,
Try hard boot

If that fails to fix get it replaced

bobby35ny

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I had a feeling the GSII was weaker than my EVO4G, My wife still has her white one and I have been comparing all night tonight. Her EVO4G has better signal on phone and wifi, it night and day.
Just came back from publix, she had service in the store and I was roaming. No doubt the EVO has better radios.
-boby

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a feeling the GSII was weaker than my EVO4G, My wife still has her white one and I have been comparing all night tonight. Her EVO4G has better signal on phone and wifi, it night and day.
Just came back from publix, she had service in the store and I was roaming. No doubt the EVO has better radios.
-boby
No doubt there are many that disagree with your assessment.
Poster a couple days ago was crying like no tommrow how bad Epic touch was claiming palm pre had better radio.
He spoke to teck support , trouble ticket was filed woke up the next morning finding Data was blazing fast signal improvement.
Evidently Sprint sent him radio hit prl update he was a happy camper.

Best bet,
Check to make sure PRL is up to date.
If so give it a hard boot radio will reset things may get better.
If not swap it out for another.

Please let us know how it goes.

bobby35ny

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
No doubt there are many that disagree with your assessment.
Poster a couple days ago was crying like no tommrow how bad Epic touch was claiming palm pre had better radio.
He spoke to teck support , trouble ticket was filed woke up the next morning finding Data was blazing fast signal improvement.
Evidently Sprint sent him radio hit prl update he was a happy camper.

Best bet,
Check to make sure PRL is up to date.
If so give it a hard boot radio will reset things may get better.
If not swap it out for another.

Please let us know how it goes.

Disagree with my assessment?
Plenty of posts on here that are saying the same thing as me.
Don't get me wrong, A day with the phone and I love it, but the the radios are weaker than the HTC's/
I did the prl update, tried all the updates, battery pull, LOL
We don't get 4G here YET, LOL. We are just 3G and I really can't complain about the speed.
It's the short wifi range and roaming issues where my wifes Evo has no issues standing in the same place.
=Bobby

Paperino

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Today I swapped back to my Photon and went back to an area where just two days ago my ET4G was roaming and not getting enough signal to make a call.

The Photon was able to retrieve data and make phone calls inside, whereas even going out outside I couldn't get the ET4G to hold one.

Beyond that, the quality of the speaker in the earpiece is much better in the Photon.

This pisses me off, because every fiber in my being wants the ET4G to be better in these categories, but I don't know why I was expecting anything better from Samsung. Oh well, good luck to all with the GSII, my needs must be different than the rest.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry it didn't work out for you Bob.
I'm just not seeing issues your having matched with EVO
If I was I would be the loudest screaming after following steps suggested for fix.
hehe I would of swapped it out twice before my scream session though lol

On EVO 4G release I went through 4 trying to find one that didn't have light Leak.
2nd didn't have leak yet signal wasn't as good as 1st.
3rd had good radio yet light leak & bad bad battery life was present.
4th was a keeper perfect.

Oh I forgot,
I went through 2 Epic 4Gs
1st & 2nd radio were not as good as EVO which lead me to 4th EVO Perfect.

On EVO 3D I went though 5 of them.
All had light leak I gave up lol

As you can see I pick smart phone apart striving for perfect working.
I guess I got luck with this Sammy

Last edited:

MediaMonkey

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not that the radio is weak, it's just that the Evo 4G and Photon have great radios. Trust me, the Epic Touch (apart from some wifi issues that will soon be patched hopefully) has a fine antennae, unless you're in a fringe zone. At that point, the Photon will probably be your best bet. I live on the east coast near Raleigh, so my signal is strong everywhere, even with the (infamous) NS4G.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
-boby

The EVO may not have better radio hardware....it has been out for a year and it may just be a function of updates and refi8ned radio software.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
With EVO & 3D I would get signal flux 5 bars to 0 quite often at home.
With Epic touch I'm holding full signal no flux what so ever.

xxINFIDELxx

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
86627643.png

Wi-Fi's been great on my phone I'm not in the best 4G area but have seen speeds up to 4mbps down 1 mbps up in areas I got the same results on my EVO. Usually see 3G speeds just under 1mbps down but uploads are pretty slow on 3G.

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I would say coming frome the EVO 3D, the voice on the ET4g is SIGNIFICANTLY better for quality, consistent bars, and no dropped calls. I would say for data, I got much faster speeds on the EVO 3D. I barely use wifi so I can't give a comparison.

mlr_90

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think this phone really shines in the 850mhz cellular band. I have noticed a big improvement in roaming coverage at work. The phone doesn't constantly switch back and forth between roam and home like my Nexua S 4g and HTC EVO did. Overall I love it!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08