Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just over 6 hours and down to 26% Bad battery, something else?

I was looking at the battery threads and it seems like everyone's gotten really good battery life. Since I got my phone I haven't felt like my battery life has been very good. I checked the battery status and it shows that in just over 6 hours it's gone down to 26%! I didn't even use the phone that heavily today.

Do you think I have a bad battery? I also noticed the phone signal is yellow a lot, so could it be my Sprint service is just really bad and that's sucking up the battery life?

I saw the other threads such as the 30 hour life and the Android OS at 60%. Yesterday my Android OS showed up in the 80s and 90s, which is quite high, but today it's low (4% as you see in the screenshot). I have Go Launcher EX and also a live wallpaper running, yet Android OS registers as 4% today and yet the battery still drains fast.

I'm hoping to figure out what the issue is here and hope it's not a battery or other hardware problem.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just over 6 hours and down to 26% Bad battery, something else?-sc20110922-183551.png   Just over 6 hours and down to 26% Bad battery, something else?-sc20110922-183558.png  

Default Re: Just over 6 hours and down to 26% Bad battery, something else

How long was your display on?
    Press display to get the duration it was on.

Try uninstalling that battery app to see what happens.

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 running "The Beginning" by Task650
    Nexus 7 - retired
    Galaxy S3 - retired
    Galaxy Note 2 - retired
    Galaxy Note 3 - Stock

That's some serious Awake time for not using the phone heavily. There's like two tiny breaks in a sold bar of awake. Also, your phone signal looks weak. The phone could be bouncing around trying to pull in a stronger signal. It's really hard to tell on battery related issues, because there's so many variables.

Here's mine today with pretty minimal use for comparison purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just over 6 hours and down to 26% Bad battery, something else?-sc20110922-193251.png  

are you using a launcher?

turn off auto brightness, and screen lock at like 30 seconds
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I've just plugged it in to charge so it might be a little off, but it says time on is a little under 1 and a half hours.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    That's some serious Awake time for not using the phone heavily. There's like two tiny breaks in a sold bar of awake. Also, your phone signal looks weak. The phone could be bouncing around trying to pull in a stronger signal. It's really hard to tell on battery related issues, because there's so many variables.

Here's mine today with pretty minimal use for comparison purposes.
    Yeah I noticed that too! Do you think because I have a weak signal that the phone is constantly trying to find signal and that's keeping the phone awake? What else could be keeping the system awake?

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    ROM
    Starburst with LoStKernel

Something is definitely running non-stop in the background. That was nearly a full blue bar for awake. Also I don't think it's a weak signal since it shows green most of the time. Maybe an app? Did you check the Tast manager?
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 | ROM: CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies | Kernel: KT747 | Governor: Ktoonservative | Modem: MK3

Sprint customer since 2000

whoops i mean you should take off the live wallpaper and remove go launcher ex,

Wow that's some intense awake time somethings definitely jamming hard in the background.
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by expertzero1 View Post
    whoops i mean you should take off the live wallpaper and remove go launcher ex,
    Yeah I just took off live wallpaper and went back to the default launcher. Will have to see how the battery usage turns out tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the info. It sucks if I can't use any of these cool Android features and customizations because they suck so much battery life... but I guess I can live without them.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Alright, I've turned off live wallpapers as well as Go Launcher EX and my battery life STILL sucks and hasn't changed much from yesterday. I tried driving to different locations to do some errands and noticed my signal was a lot more green when I was out, but they stayed yellow when I was at home and at work.

So it seems like the culprit is my Sprint reception is poor where I live and because of that my battery drains a lot faster than it should.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Attached are the battery status screenshots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just over 6 hours and down to 26% Bad battery, something else?-sc20110923-185918.png   Just over 6 hours and down to 26% Bad battery, something else?-sc20110923-185926.png  

ROM
    Blazer ROM/Stock Kernel

I see you're roaming there. Try turning that off.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G

ROM
    Blazer ROM/Stock Kernel

Holy crap that may be it. I had high % my first two days then after tweaking settings it is normal. Roaming is one thing I've always killed. My wife has one with high % and I haven't changed that setting on hers. Please try it and let me know

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by tkemack View Post
    Holy crap that may be it. I had high % my first two days then after tweaking settings it is normal. Roaming is one thing I've always killed. My wife has one with high % and I haven't changed that setting on hers. Please try it and let me know

Yeah I think that roaming option could be it. I'll try that and see if it's any better tomorrow. The problem with turning roaming off though is now I might not get any signal. Where I work seems to get a really weak Sprint signal, and I believe what it does is roam onto Verizon's stronger network to get a connection.

I'll try it though and see how it goes. Hopefully it helps!

ROM
    Blazer ROM/Stock Kernel

One thing that all of have in common is that everyone is set to automatic roaming... It's free so why change it? For. Some. Reason I always change it to sprint only right away. I just changed hers so I will. Know tomorrow for sure

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Yeah I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Still I might need to contact Sprint to figure out this bad signal issue.

And tomorrow I'll be out all day too without any access to power plugs... I guess I'll just have to make sure to turn every single thing off... hopefully it will last.

When I prevented my widgets and apps from auto synching always my battery life increased significantly

Why is your Active time so much? How can your Android OS be so high without the phone overheating?

Something is very wrong and it is not the phone or battery. You have installed a rouge widget, laucher, app or have a setting wrong.

If you are getting bad signal or are roaming at home or work, call Sprint and follow these steps to get an Airave: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home.

If your Battery usage Android OS over 25%, you have a rouge widget or app that is not turning off. See this thread for specific steps for setting up the Epic 4G Touch power management:
    30+ Hours Battery Life on the Epic 4G Touch-How Long Can You Go?

If you still are not seeing fantastic battery life, find the battery sucker on your phone by following the steps in the Extending Battery Life thread.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
    USAF Veteran

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

This thread over at XDA sounds like the problem you have. It's related to GMail and your Google account...The giveaway is the Android OS at 75%...

That's one of the hard lessons about having an Android device. Battery drain can be the worse. The phones are capable of doing so much at once that the battery life suffers. I hate when people tell me to turn everything off to preserve the battery. Isn't that the reason we buy Android is because it does all of these things? Sort of a catch22.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

I'm having the same issue, but my Android OS is not the culprit. My highest battery usage is Display at 41%

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    That's one of the hard lessons about having an Android device. Battery drain can be the worse. The phones are capable of doing so much at once that the battery life suffers. I hate when people tell me to turn everything off to preserve the battery. Isn't that the reason we buy Android is because it does all of these things? Sort of a catch22.
    Omg yessssss!!! I love my Android but dude when I used to half an iPhone ..
    All my android user friends would bash me but then I see them carrying 3 battery packs. And they say you have to manage your phone to get good battery life. No...I don't waste my life tweaking ...I prefer living. This is the double edge sword of Android. You want completer control ...sure...but don't complain.when.you see your battery drop. I am just saying

Just saying
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Seriously, this is feeling like the old Windows... downloading or installing the wrong program, getting viruses (or in Android's case, like milominderbinder mentioned rogue software).

I guess I did make the eager noobie mistake of installing a bunch of stuff the moment I got my phone. I did come from webOS after all, where so many of these apps, games, etc were missing. Luckily it's only been a week, and aside from some texts and a handful of photos when experimenting with the camera apps I don't really have anything important stored on the phone, so I think I'm going to try to do a factory reset and then slowly install apps, widgets, etc. one by one and checking to see what's draining the battery so ridiculously fast. It'll just be like reinstalling windows... *sigh*

I guess if it's just a software issue it's just something I'll have to figure out. If it's the phone hardware or battery issue that'd be a pain since I ordered from Wirefly and it'll be a pain to have to make an exchange and be without my phone for however long that would take.

I found the new Facebook app was killing my battery by keeping the phone awake it even says that is one of the permissions to keep your phone awake. I froze it and battery life was great, also I have auto run manager and I disabled the receivers for Facebook and that seemed to help out as well but let's nee still use the app

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast