Is this the best phone on the market? If so, for how long?

nikeairs23

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I get tired of buying something that I believe is the latest and best technology, then you hear people start talking about Nexus. WTF? Does anyone else think these phone manufacturers need to slow down a bit?

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree, in fall of '09 i bought an HTC hero and thought it was the greatest thing since slice bread about 6 months later it was pretty much extinct and out dated with the evo 4g coming out in the summer of '10. Now i have sgs2 and trying not to think about what's right around the corner. But i guess that's just the nature of the beast.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
with the android iterations coming out its impossible to have the best. My rule of thumb is getting the best I can afford at the time I need it. I cant concern myself with whats coming out three months down the road. Id just go insane. As long as the phone still does what I need / want it to do I'm happy. In two years Im sure they'll be some moving reason to upgrade all over again

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I get tired of buying something that I believe is the latest and best technology, then you hear people start talking about Nexus. WTF? Does anyone else think these phone manufacturers need to slow down a bit?

No - not at all. They need to keep this pace and even accelerate it.

Do you wish car manufacturers had slowed down tech advances in the 60s and 70s?

Computers in the 80s and 90s?

Drugs in the 40s and 50s?

Cancer research in the 70s and 80s?

etc...etc...etc...

If you answer yes to any if the above you'd be paying $10x for 1/10 capability you have today. (And maybe dead if drugs/cancer :)

Silly question......

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
No - not at all. They need to keep this pace and even accelerate it.

Do you wish car manufacturers had slowed down tech advances in the 60s and 70s?

Computers in the 80s and 90s?

Drugs in the 40s and 50s?

Cancer research in the 70s and 80s?

etc...etc...etc...

If you answer yes to any if the above you'd be paying $10x for 1/10 capability you have today. (And maybe dead if drugs/cancer :)

Silly question......

Good Point

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
with the android iterations coming out its impossible to have the best. My rule of thumb is getting the best I can afford at the time I need it. I cant concern myself with whats coming out three months down the road. Id just go insane. As long as the phone still does what I need / want it to do I'm happy. In two years Im sure they'll be some moving reason to upgrade all over again

Similar rule of thumb - I buy what ever was bleeding edge 6 months ago. It will cost half the price of today's bleeding edge - and in a year you won't even be able to tell the difference!

I just LOVE the rate of tech advancement today. We are getting amazing stuff for pretty low prices compared to a few years ago.

But there will always be people want the world to stand still - like the buggy whip, carburetor, vacuum tube manufacturers of years ago. They stood still and got run over! :)

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I personally love the rate in which we are going..Just wish the battery tech could catch up & my wallet could keep pace..:-$

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I personally love the rate in which we are going..Just wish the battery tech could catch up & my wallet could keep pace..:-$

100% agree!
While it's neat that they are coming out with all this new stuff, what we REALLY need to advance is battery (and all electric/power) technology. It's not just for gadgets and electronics but for transportation and I'm sure many other fields too!

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The Epic Touch will have the same trajectory as the Evo 4G -- best phone on the market at release, arguably the best phone for 3-4 months, and still in the conversation as one of the phones to own 9 months later.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The real question is will your needs in the phone change in the next year or two? If not, then it doesn't really matter what comes out in the immediate future. To be honest, outside of video chat and gaming, I use my iPhone 4 in almost the exact way I used my AT&T Tilt that I bought four years ago. My needs haven't changed much and I would suspect that the needs of others haven't changed too much either. Now if the device that you have chosen today is the best on the market and it meets your needs, then there is a good chance that it will next year and the year after.

Last edited:

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree With the OP in a way. Tablets for example. When the Xoom came out it was the tablet to beat with HC and dual core. But even as Dual core is announced talk of quad core and demos of it running come out. So why if it is being showed that a better faster Processor is coming soon & in the same year as a just released processor is. would i buy a product that is extinct before release. Should they not work on advancing tech ? No please continue thats the way we can improve but coming out with a 1.2ghz dualcore phone and then 4 months later releasing the same phone with a faster processor and headphones HTC lol at least changed the name of it . Anyway i love Android.

This phone will be top dog for a while even if phones that come out with higher specs we will still blast them out in test. :D

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Yea they can't slow down there's to much room for advancement! If they would have slowed production android & epic touch probably wouldn't exist / or be as popular as they are now. But I understand your angle it's like the "best buy buy back program ad" quadcores damn it! R.i.p. To all my 4 month old favorite phone. Let's get our wallets ready gentleman! I think in some cases consumers for smart phones don't realize how soon the technology advances. Therefore leaving them unhappy with an outdated device, & unwilling to shovel out $550 for something new... And we all know the complaints start to roll in after in an attempt to make themselves fill better with the "OLD PHONE"!

adebisi

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
ive had my Epic 4g touch for three days now. i still have the distinct feeling that something is creeping up on me behind my back.......maybe its the Prime. oh well, if so, it wont be as bad when i bought the HTC Hero and the EVO came out 31 days later....

hatsoffexpress

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Look, I for one am well aware of the ever changing landscape of mobile tech. However, as I've now purchased probably 10+ Android running doodads I have become a bit of a seasoned vet at what to buy for the person looking to stay up on things as much as they can.

For one, Nexus will always be a safe bet. Hasn't the Nexus stood step for step with even the iPhone on shelf life? The answer is yes.

That being said, if you go another route, developer support has to be next. Which is why I am really excited about two things;

1. Samsung gave team CM GS2s. Samsung hired Steve Kondic. Samsung is developer friendly. Samsung is RUNNING the hardware game. Seriously, they are the Jordans in here, everyone else, they're just the Pippens this year.*

2. I LOVE this device. I really like the EVO 4G, Epic 4G, Droid Inc, Nexus S 4G...
I LOVED the Motorola Droid. The OG. Polo the Don. All of the above mentioned devices. Great devices. Wouldn't be unhappy with any of them. Hell, I still have those 3 of them and a few more turds.
But this **** right here, this **** right here...:eek:

So, don't sweat it. My beef now is trying to get a Tab 8.9. Or do I wait for Quad Cores? I care more about devices with a legacy feel now. The shining hero. The EVO 4G, The OG Droid, The Nexus One, The HD2. It's been awhile, I suppose this new crop of HTC's are great, the Sensations and what not, but to me, they don't represent the huge leap in technology that the GS2 does.

My 2.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree With the OP in a way. Tablets for example. When the Xoom came out it was the tablet to beat with HC and dual core. But even as Dual core is announced talk of quad core and demos of it running come out. So why if it is being showed that a better faster Processor is coming soon & in the same year as a just released processor is. would i buy a product that is extinct before release. Should they not work on advancing tech ? No please continue thats the way we can improve but coming out with a 1.2ghz dualcore phone and then 4 months later releasing the same phone with a faster processor and headphones HTC lol at least changed the name of it . Anyway i love Android.

This phone will be top dog for a while even if phones that come out with higher specs we will still blast them out in test. :D

Exactly I think we should be advancing more in dual-core before we jump to new tech.

xt04

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
As long as you remember that best is not always = most advanced. Sure there may be phones coming out with better specs, but will they offer a better experience. Personally I'd have to have something pretty incredible pop up to get rid of the GSII. Just too much good about this phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy