No Rev. B on the Epic4GT according to a Sprint Tech

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Your right that Sprint has yet to say anything but all rumors out there is information. Just how you believe/take it is the problem. You can take this info and wait till the 7th to see if Sprint announces it.
According to the link i posted before you don't need to change the radio for the first phase of Rev B. From what they are showing you can update with just software. I also saw a post that they can update to LTE with the Wimax radio with just software, so who knows. If the rumors are true and they do upgrade to Rev B and its just a software update for us to use it then all will be well... its specs show about 9 mbs on 3g.
I'm not saying any of this is true or fact , just information out there that we can read to better understand the technology. This is how I take it and hopefully Sprint will deliver some good stuff next month. but if not I'm sticking with them anyway.
I was under the impression that the software updates to go from rev a to rev b, and wimax to lte were software updates to the network and /or towers not the handsets themselves.

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that the software updates to go from rev a to rev b, and wimax to lte were software updates to the network and /or towers not the handsets themselves.

Didn't Sprint's CEO say that WiMAX phones were going to receive OTA updates to use LTE?

On a side note, the Qualcomm Chip in the E4GT isn't supposed to support pictures higher than 3MP from the camera, so it has to be some type of modified chip with the same name.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
On a side note, the Qualcomm Chip in the E4GT isn't supposed to support pictures higher than 3MP from the camera, so it has to be some type of modified chip with the same name.
Or some other chip is being used for the camera? I don't think there is any requirement that you must use every feature of a Qualcomm chip. IMO Samsung is just using it for the radio and they have upgraded the other pieces with solutions from other providers. If Samsung had gone with an all Qualcomm solution they would probably have the same chip as Evo3d and Photon.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Or some other chip is being used for the camera? I don't think there is any requirement that you must use every feature of a Qualcomm chip. IMO Samsung is just using it for the radio and they have upgraded the other pieces with solutions from other providers. If Samsung had gone with an all Qualcomm solution they would probably have the same chip as Evo3d and Photon.

Well, if Samsung went with an all Qualcomm solution we probably would have ended up with a Snapdragon SOC in this phone, like the one in the 3D. I'll take the Exynos SOC and the separate CDMA chip myself, Rev. B or not.

But yeah I'm fairly sure the Exynos SOC handles the camera.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I guess this puts this one to rest ...

Official Sprint Answer:

Sprint is committed to delivering the highest quality network experience. Our Network Vision plan will improve your network experience, but it does not include any EVDO Rev B launch. Sprint has evaluated EVDO Rev B and chosen to go directly to 4G connections. Since we are not launching EVDO Rev B, none of our handsets supports EVDO Rev B.

Thank you for your interest in our Network and Chipset Technologies!

Sprint Community: EVDO Rev B

So there you have it. I actually feel pretty silly for wringing my hands over this whole subject now. Ah well, I'm only human. :p

Reactions: tkemack

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
hey folks i ran accross this today, and it seemed quite interesting, this teardown that i found actually has the qualcomm qsc8085 instead of the 6085, not sure if this is rev b capable (i guess it really doesnt matter anymore) but i figured you guys would like to check it out

Pretty sure it's a typo or misread on the author's part. When I look at the image, while the stamp is faded, it looks more like a 6 than a 8 to me. Also, someone over at XDA had run some diagnostic using a dialer code that pulled the chip version and it showed as QSC6085.

Anyhoo, as you said, it will likely never matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool