The Magic of Epic 4G Touch App Folders

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
attachment.php
-
attachment.php

Folders
You already use folders on your computer to keep your files organized. Your Epic 4G Touch has folders that are just as easy to use. You have so much app storage space (nearly 2GB) that you could download hundreds of Favorite Applications. App Folders let you easy organize and find your apps.

That's where the Samsung TouchWiz 4 App Folders help you:
• Find any app with just three taps.
• Keep your home screen clear.
• Quickly find new apps that you have added.
• Never again have to look at the carrier's apps (bloat) unless you want.

Epic 4G Touch folders are not even documented in the Users Guide but they are here. Instead of having the apps spread out across many screens, Samsung lets you put up to 256 app in folders on the main app screen. You can use any folder name but for now let's create a folder called "My Media".

Create an App Folder
Tap Menu > Edit and an "Add folder" icon appears at the lower left. You made need to tap Switch modes if it asks. Drag your Camera, Gallery, Videos, Photo Editor, Video Maker, and Media Hub apps down into Add folder. You can move throught the app screens collecting up the apps you want. When you are done, go back to the first screen and drag your folder up into place and name it "My Media" when asked.

Create other folders as you like. For instance instead of deleting all of the carrier apps that came with your phone, conisder dumping into it in case you ever need one. Why not? You have the room and now you will never have to look at them unless you want to.

Try to put no more than 16 apps in each folder or you have to scroll down to see everything in the folder. When you are done, tap Menu > Save. To rename a folder, tap the folder and then long-press on the top bar of the folder. To delete a folder, tap Menu > Edit then tap the folder and all its contents will be back out into the App Drawer.

Remember to Save
Always save when you are done by tapping Menu > Save. Tap the Home key in the lower right to go back to your home screens. You can clear all the apps off your home screens so that you have more room for widget or just to see a favorite photo as wallpaper.

Now you are just three clicks away from any of your apps: Tap Applications > {Folder} > {App}.

Change App Drawer Icons
To replace the Phone, Contacts, or Messaging apps in the App Dock at the bottom of the screen: While still in the Applications Drawer, tap Menu > Edit then long press the app to remove and drag it up into the page above. Long press the app you want to put into the App Dock and drag it down into position. You can also re-arrange the apps in the App Dock. The Applications icon on the lower left cannot be removed.

You can do even better things with your home screens. See Folders for how to make your main home screen look like this. Notice the custom icons? Oh, and have fun with your new phone!

See Also
Epic 4G Touch Getting Started: Tips, Tricks, FAQ's & Tutorials
25 Reasons to Consider the Epic 4G Touch
Connect a Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard
30+ Hours Battery Life
The Expanded Clipboard is Epic!
Customize the Lock Screen
The Magic of App Folders
Increase Your Data Speeds
Change "Pure" Android Without Rooting
Getting Started - Shows 500 other features, tips, and tricks.
Phone Comparison
10 Reasons Why iPhone 5 will be Beaten by Samsung Galaxy S2

Last edited:

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Great write up as always.

Little pro tip: once you're in edit mode just drag the app down to the bottom left corner and put the app on the "add folder" box this is like your work space for that folder that way you can swipe through pages of apps without having to drag the app across pages just drag them down to the bottom left. Once you are done adding apps drag the new folder from the bottom left workspace to the place where you want it in the app drawer. At that point it will ask you to name it.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Great write up as always.

Little pro tip: once you're in edit mode just drag the app down to the bottom left corner and put the app on the "add folder" box this is like your work space for that folder that way you can swipe through pages of apps without having to drag the app across pages just drag them down to the bottom left. Once you are done adding apps drag the new folder from the bottom left workspace to the place where you want it in the app drawer. At that point it will ask you to name it.
Great input. I just changed the opening post to reflect this easier way.

Any other ideas we can add?

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well done milominderbinder... I'm bookmarking all of your tips and tricks while I'm in my (unbearable) wait for my SGSII... thanks for making great points of reference for me while I wait on my phone upgrade!:cool:

Reactions: milominderbinde

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a question of using these 'folders'?

I accidentally discovered the folder options just looking at all the things in the menu options.

I just want to be clear what you are talking about:

Are you saying you can create a folder on those Home pages, the 7 pages we get to put all of our shortcuts, or are you talking about creating folders when we click 'Apps', which is where all of our apps show up.

I'm asking because I am having a problem, and I want to be clear that I am using these folders correctly as you are describing the feature.

So I have 7 shortcut screen in TouchWiz, and unlimited pages in the Apps area.

I have created folders in the APPS area, and moved all my apps according to type. Example: I created a folder labeled 'Audio/Video' and put all my video and audio applications into that folder. Like 'Gallery', 'Photo Editor', 'Mobo Video Player', etc.

I have never tried to create a folder on the 'Home' Shortcut screen, I did not know that's possible. Unless, you are not doing that but instead what I am doing.

Ok now to my problem:

It seems that on certain occasions, after a reboot of the phone or a shutdown. When I reboot the phone and then go to my APPS, ALL of the apps are out of the folders that I placed them in. The folders are still there, the folders did not get deleted, but the apps are removed from the folders. Then I have to move all hundreds of apps all over again into their labeled folders.

I've had to do this about 3 times now and I'm about to give up on this folder thing, even though I love it and it brings back some of the organization that I had used on my Pre.

Thanks for any opinions on this issue!

Rob

misserika021

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to change the icons for certain apps (such as the messaging, contacts, call, etc.)? Say I found a picture online of an icon that I want instead of the boring envelope can I change it and have the new icon on the app dock?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae