How to Increase Sprint Epic 4G Touch 3G & 4G Data Speeds

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for bumping this. I performed this mod on my pre-TEP S2, but I forgot about it on my replacement. My 3G speeds at work are slower (240 down to 90) but the latency plummeted from 520ms to 90ms. So it's at least usable for lower bandwidth stuff.

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for this thread. Normally I just stay connected to WiFi when I can to save battery and have better speeds, but while on campus and going through buildings I lose it from time to time.

That being said, my speeds at work didn't alter too much. I usually range from 2-4 bars while at work and somewhere around 41kb/s down and 70kb/s up. Not solid speeds at all. Made the switch and seem to have better higher download speeds but slower upload and lower latency.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Upgrading to Jellybean seems to prevent that app from getting the MSL. Best bet is to call Sprint and tell them that none of your friends receive your picture mails.

Nate Cherry

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Get Alogcat from the play store and install it, then go to phone screen after installing and enter data mode (##3282#) then hit edit and enter anything into the MSL field, then quickly switch to the Alogcat app and pause it, filter the log for "MSL" (no quotes) and in the log each wrong attempt at the MSL will be logged with the correct MSL shown in the parenthesis.

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Get Alogcat from the play store and install it, then go to phone screen after installing and enter data mode (##3282#) then hit edit and enter anything into the MSL field, then quickly switch to the Alogcat app and pause it, filter the log for "MSL" (no quotes) and in the log each wrong attempt at the MSL will be logged with the correct MSL shown in the parenthesis.

Can you advise/confirm if this method will work AFTER the GB27 Jelly Bean update has applied to the E4GT. I tried a similar method with Algocat two weeks ago, but had no success. I am on Stock GB27 w/Root. Thanks for your help.

montecristo1

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
This (Alogcat) helped me get my msl successfully... I actually typed msl and entered search... Logs containing msl displayed....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

This may increase 3G & 4G data speeds but will not give more signal bars. If you are getting 1 or 2 bars at home, you need an Airave, a 10" tall cell tower connected to your Internet.

(Bolding in above quote is mine.)

If I have a WLAN, I don't need an Airave, do I? According to SpeedTest I get >10Mbps/1.2Mbps DL/UL over my home WLAN, but I still can't seem to stream a mere 128k radio broadcast. I don't expect to be able to stream while I walk to the store anymore, but I do expect it to work over my WLAN. How can I troubleshoot this?

I have stock 4.1.2, rooted; I've run the PRL and system updates several times but the PRL level is still the same, and nothing changes. I went back to stock so I could run the Sprint system and profile update, but the performance of this device seems to be degrading more and more as time goes on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power