Just got a S2/ Questions for the experts

hdtvjeff

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Just got a Samsung Galaxy S2 (Sprint) in addition to the EVO 4g I already own.
By far, the Samsung is a work of art.

Now, I'm use to Sense and all the bells of whistels of an HTC phone.

Here are some questions for the experts in no random order.

1) On my EVO 4g, there was something called "People" where I added contacts and if I wished, I can send any specified contact directly to voicemail instead of having the phone ring, does such an option exist here?

2) When copy and pasting my video clips from my PC, do I put it the "phone" itself or the folder within called USB storage or does it not matter ?

3) I loved the alarm setting capabilities with the HTC front end, is there something better than what comes with the Samsung stock Rom?

4) Has this phone been rooted yet? My evo 4g has and I love having it as a hotspot

5) If I add a 32 GB Micro SD card will that then give me 48GB (16 from phone and 32 GB from the external SD?)

6) Are there custom roms that can incorporate sense ?

7) Is 4.5.2 inches the biggest screen out there for a smart phone?

8) Any must have apps for this phone?

9) Anybody have any complaints about this phone?

10) Best media player/ Photo viewer instead of gallery?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'll answer the questions I can.

2. the folder inside the phone I'd your phones internal storage so put your videos/music in there.

4. Yes, root has been achieved.

5. The quoted 16gb is actually close to 11.5 for internal storage, so your total will be close to 42-44gb.

6. Nope, probably never will be. Too many driver and hardware conflicts.

7. If the Dell Streak is considered a phone then it's the only one that had the Epic beat.

9. My only complaint is that my Evo 4g got better reception, but the Epic is still a killer phone.

Reactions: hdtvjeff

hdtvjeff

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Can the "FIXED" bottom icons be removed or are they permanent fixtures ala the Ipod's interface?
Since Sense is not possible on a samsung phone, is there a slicker interface than what comes with it?

Thanks!

iSlackerz

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Can the "FIXED" bottom icons be removed or are they permanent fixtures ala the Ipod's interface?
Since Sense is not possible on a samsung phone, is there a slicker interface than what comes with it?

Thanks!

Yes, you can change the icons on the bottom. Simply press Application, once in the App press Menu > Edit. Then you can drag any app icon to the bottom row. Press back to leave edit mode. Done.

Reactions: hdtvjeff

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
5) If I add a 32 GB Micro SD card will that then give me 48GB (16 from phone and 32 GB from the external SD?)

7) Is 4.5.2 inches the biggest screen out there for a smart phone?

6) If you add a 32gb card, it will technically increase your total memory to 48gb. But...

This is not unified memory. After the partition for apps and partition for the OS, you end up with a 11.9gb internal partition for data that the system recognizes as an SD card. For the most part, apps will consider it as the "SD card", but some of them go to the external SD card. One program that will go to the external SD card is the camera app. If you direct the pictures to the SD card, it will actually go there. The external SD card comes up as a subfolder of the SD card. So if you get an external SD card, it will mostly be there for pictures and for storing transferred music, and videos. Programs will by and large use the internal 11.9gb.

And don't forget that since the storage people don't measure their megabytes the same way the OS sees them, a 32gb SD card comes in a little under 30gb.

7) The Dell Streak was 5" and came out last year and is owned by about 10 people. The Samsung Infuse also sports a 4.52" screen.

Last edited:

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

You can always look into 3rd Party launchers such as ADW, Launcher Pro or Regina. That will change your homescreen and app drawers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol