Screen Display on a Bright Day?

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I've had my S2 for just about a week now.

Everything has been going good and I'm loving it.

Today I ran across my first real issue that makes me be very concerned.

I was walking my dog and I attempted to read my news with one of my favorite apps 'Newsroom'. The day was nice but not really sunny. It was bright out but not a day that you absolutely had to wear sunglasses.

The problem, I could not see the screen!

I thought this is one of the brightest screens on the market?

I did not have this issue on my old Palm Pre (WebOS)?

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

Rob

iSlackerz

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I've had my S2 for just about a week now.

Everything has been going good and I'm loving it.

Today I ran across my first real issue that makes me be very concerned.

I was walking my dog and I attempted to read my news with one of my favorite apps 'Newsroom'. The day was nice but not really sunny. It was bright out but not a day that you absolutely had to wear sunglasses.

The problem, I could not see the screen!

I thought this is one of the brightest screens on the market?

I did not have this issue on my old Palm Pre (WebOS)?

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

Rob

I'm not sure where you read that the Galaxy S II has one of the "one of the brightest screens on the market", but that certainly isn't the case. If you check out this Anandtech article, about half way down you can see that the Galaxy S II is in the bottom of the field. AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review

Do you have auto-brightness on? I find that auto-brightness rarely works well. Was the brightness all the way up on your phone?

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
It really isn't that bright. I've turned off auto-brightness and manually set the brightness to the highest when outside in the sun and I still had a little trouble seeing it. I don't think I've seen ANY smartphone with a touchscreen that's completely clear and easy to see in the sun. Maybe some day if they stop making everything glossy. :)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If you are outside, you may need a anti glare screen protector. (I don't care for them, but they cut down on reflection.) :cool: I can see mine in the sun on auto just fine. High noon sun? I am usually eating lunch under patio furniture at that time he he

dj ozone

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
the display in bright sunlight is about the worst thing on this phone...there were a few times where it was basically invisible for me....im loving everything else about my Epic 4G Touch its been a great experience so far!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
the display in bright sunlight is about the worst thing on this phone...there were a few times where it was basically invisible for me....im loving everything else about my Epic 4G Touch its been a great experience so far!

Welcome to AC! Hang around and post it up!

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
It really isn't that bright. I've turned off auto-brightness and manually set the brightness to the highest when outside in the sun and I still had a little trouble seeing it. I don't think I've seen ANY smartphone with a touchscreen that's completely clear and easy to see in the sun. Maybe some day if they stop making everything glossy. :)

As I said the screen was totally invisible, you said you did know of a phone that was good in daylight, well I never had this bad of an experience with my WebOS Pre which everyone said it was the worst hardware ever! I was able to read my Pre while laying out on the beach.

However, today while playing with the settings, I noticed I had the Brightness turned down to 30% and Auto Brightness turned off.

I haven't had the chance to check it out with these new settings, it was really cloudy today in NYC.

What made me think that this phone performed well in daylight was a video review for a website that showed them taking pictures and video outside and commenting on how the screen was adequate outside. I'm sorry I never bookmarked the reviewer's page.

I'm going to read the article in the link provided, thanks!

Rob

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I just read the article.

I'm sorry they were testing the phone in direct sunlight, not the condition I was concerned about. I was not in direct sunlight, I was walking under some trees and it was a normal day with some white clouds here and there.

Rob

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Yep, set the brightness to full when out in the sun. I can still read stuff, not as nice obviously as inside, but is still usable. I too, came from the Palm Pre... and NO other phone had as nice a display in direct sun as it did!! compared to the display brightness of the Pre in direct sun (here in Atlanta), I'd say my ET comes in at about 80% of that level...
I've have my ET since day one.... STILL getting used to Android, but loving the customization ability of the OS... no where near as refined and elegant, or intuitive, as WebOS, but, not the nightmare I had convinced myself it was going to be.:)

Love, Love, Love this phone!!!

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

OK today I had the chance to test out the phone with the new changes I made, thanks to all your comments.

It's working great now.

Here is what I did, I did turn on Auto Brightness to test that out first. I had had my settings when I reported the issue originally set to 20%.

And because I had to purchase a set of new screen protectors, I gave in an spent the money at Sprint and that package came with two regular screen protectors and one 'anti-glare' screen protector (for $15, way to expensive).

I put the 'Anti-Glare' screen protector on, since that was recommended. Although, I believe it's not what really made the difference and that the setting adjustment is really what did the trick, it does help.

Although, I have to admit, the Anti-Glare Screen Protector does make the screen look a little funny but you can get used to that.

Thanks again to all you!

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay