Wifi HotSpot vs Home Network

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I was/am having trouble with reception with my GS2 indoors (didn't with my Blackberry). Anyway, I found out how to jump on my own secured home Wifi network and it works pretty great. But when I was speaking to Sprint about my reception issues, the rep suggested I purchase the "Wifi Hotspot" for $29.99/mo to get Wifi service indoors.

I'm confused... :confused: Why would I pay Sprint for something I'm already getting/paying for via my internet company?

Is there a catch? Am I going to get a huge data bill next month from Sprint if I keep getting data via my home network as opposed to the Sprint HotSpot?

Last edited:

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure what you're asking. If you're getting your data over your home wifi connection (from your home wireless router hooked up to broadband cable or dsl) then no, it will not increase your data usage at all. In fact it will reduce your cell phones data usage, as its using your home wifi connection and not Sprints 3G or 4G network.

A wireless hotspot from Sprint is basically a wireless router that connects to Sprints 3G/4G network for data and then to your phone, laptop or other device via wifi. They require an additional service plan etc, and since they don't connect to your home broadband all the data they use is over Sprints network. This is a horrible suggestion if you're already in a bad signal area since it receives its connection from the same place your phone normally does, plus it would be pointlessly expensive.

By wireless hotspot are you sure he didn't mean Sprints Airave? Its basically a tiny cell tower that connects to your home broadband connection. If you're having connection issues at home you can call customer service and many folks report they're given one for free if they complain about their signal enough. Sprint normally charges for the Airave both for the device itself and a monthly service for free, but once again many customers report those fee's are waived if they complain.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure what you're asking. If you're getting your data over your home wifi connection (from your home wireless router hooked up to broadband cable or dsl) then no, it will not increase your data usage at all. In fact it will reduce your cell phones data usage, as its using your home wifi connection and not Sprints 3G or 4G network.
That was my thought exactly but once the Sprint rep mentioned "you can't get Wifi connection unless you subscribe to Sprint's Wifi Hotspot" I became worried that my connecting to my home network was going to result in a huge Sprint data bill. If not, then fantastic!
A wireless hotspot from Sprint is basically a wireless router that connects to Sprints 3G/4G network for data and then to your phone, laptop or other device via wifi. They require an additional service plan etc, and since they don't connect to your home broadband all the data they use is over Sprints network. This is a horrible suggestion if you're already in a bad signal area since it receives its connection from the same place your phone normally does, plus it would be pointlessly expensive.
I agree. I already have the "everything" plan..and in fact mentioned to the rep that it was false advertising that they called it "everything" when I had to pay an additional $10/month for 4G that wasn't working anyway, and then add another $29.99/mo to get Wifi? Suddenly, it's all more expensive than my cable/internet bill combined!
By wireless hotspot are you sure he didn't mean Sprints Airave? Its basically a tiny cell tower that connects to your home broadband connection. If you're having connection issues at home you can call customer service and many folks report they're given one for free if they complain about their signal enough. Sprint normally charges for the Airave both for the device itself and a monthly service for free, but once again many customers report those fee's are waived if they complain.
No, she didn't mean Airave. In fact, I'd mentioned Airave 4 weeks ago to a rep who said she's order it for me (for free) and when it didn't arrive, I called and was told that no one had put in the order and now they couldn't do it because there was area outage. So in all, Sprint was..once again, useless.

Thanks! I'm glad I can use my own home network for my phone as it's super fast. Sprint's network is too slow for GS2's capabilities.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like some one was confused in the conversion you two had. If your using WiFi anywhere it does nothing to your bill ... This works on your phone the same way as your laptop. IF you want to use your phone to connect your laptop/tablet etc... this will use data from Sprint's service still not costing you anything (ROOTED) If you add this service to your Sprint account then it will cost you 30 bucks more a month...

Your reception problem has to do with Phone signal not Data right? IMO I think the CSR got confused when you said you connected to your router threw WiFi so thought you wanted Data service outside your house. As a person who works with the Public you have to read between the lines and ask questions if you don't really understand what the customer wants.

So If you are talking about reception service ( the 5 bars at the top right) and not being able to make calls or get calls at home then ask about the airwave and see if you can get it for free. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint/99027-airave-get-great-sprint-reception-your-home.html
you can get some information at this link posted by Milo.. good luck

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Just for the record, the $10 is for unlimited smartphone data; not 4G data. It was originally a 4G premium but because so few people actually have 4G and bought the evo, they had to change it so people wouldn't complain as much.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like some one was confused in the conversion you two had. If your using WiFi anywhere it does nothing to your bill ... This works on your phone the same way as your laptop. IF you want to use your phone to connect your laptop/tablet etc... this will use data from Sprint's service still not costing you anything (ROOTED) If you add this service to your Sprint account then it will cost you 30 bucks more a month...
I see what you mean, but I don't know how she could have confused what I was saying, because we were discussing how I'm not getting any data reception with 3G/4G, but was able to get reception when I connected my SG2 to my home network (Wifi).
Your reception problem has to do with Phone signal not Data right?
No, it has to do with data.
So If you are talking about reception service ( the 5 bars at the top right) and not being able to make calls or get calls at home then ask about the airwave and see if you can get it for free. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint/99027-airave-get-great-sprint-reception-your-home.html
you can get some information at this link posted by Milo.. good luck
I am mostly able to make/get calls, but it lags for quite a few rings before it comes through to the phone. But my main issue was not being able to get any data access on my phone (no internet, etc.)

Thanks. :)

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Just for the record, the $10 is for unlimited smartphone data; not 4G data. It was originally a 4G premium but because so few people actually have 4G and bought the evo, they had to change it so people wouldn't complain as much.
If I already have the Everything plan (which includes unlimited data - and I've been a smartphone user for many years), then why am I paying yet another $10 for something that was advertised as unlimited? Whatever Sprint might want to call the extra fee (and I believe they call it "Premium Data" fee for "smartphone" users), it doesn't work for most, anyway. :mad:

But we digress...

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
If I already have the Everything plan (which includes unlimited data - and I've been a smartphone user for many years), then why am I paying yet another $10 for something that was advertised as unlimited? Whatever Sprint might want to call the extra fee (and I believe they call it "Premium Data" fee for "smartphone" users), it doesn't work for most, anyway. :mad:

But we digress...

I understand your pain and how it doesn't feel right. But it's due to the fact that those who have smartphones use exponentially more internet and bandwidth than dumbphones.

When the iPhone comes to Sprint, I bet there's going to be an "iPhone Fee" or something along those lines because with the iPhone comes great bandwidth and internet issues.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I understand your pain and how it doesn't feel right. But it's due to the fact that those who have smartphones use exponentially more internet and bandwidth than dumbphones.

When the iPhone comes to Sprint, I bet there's going to be an "iPhone Fee" or something along those lines because with the iPhone comes great bandwidth and internet issues.
I was told at the Sprint store yesterday that the iPhone is coming to their stores in about 2 months (Christmas prezzie alert!). I would almost guarantee that they'll charge an iPhone fee, you're right! It'll be hilarious to see what they'll call it: Highway Robbery fee? Or, perhaps, Sucks To Be You fee? :p