10-24-2011 08:18 PM
- Ok I'm ready to really customize, i've never really gotten creative before so i'm new to it but don't know which launcher is better in terms of looks/themes and difficulty of use. So far I keep hearing about Launcherpro and ADWLauncher so which one is better in ya'lls opinion? and when it comes to widgets i keep hearing about Beautiful widgets and fancy widgets. Any suggestions on both?09-28-2011 07:59 PM
- GCMS, short answer is that there is no "best" launcher or widget because various people like different things and no single launcher out there has every possible combination for how things are done.
hell, this is just talking about the actual launchers themselves and not even getting into skins/themes/widgets customized for certain launchers.
Personally, I use Launcher Pro and am quite happy with it.
BTW< launchers are easy to install, easy to remove, and it's really easy to change the default from one launcher to the next (I use Homeblaster to do so).
What this means is that you can download one launcher then tweak the heck out of and try all the settings combinations imaginable, then, dl another launcher and do the same, then dl yet a third launcher, rinse, repeat, yada, yada, yada.09-29-2011 01:41 AM
- I used to dabble in launcher replacements on my OG Droid. The windows phone 7 one was fun every once in a while but my go to was launcher pro. Just had a good smooth feel to it. I had tried others and they were more customizable but they didn't float my boat. However with my E4GT I am really enjoying the Touch Wiz more than I thought I would so I think I'll be keeping it. As for beautiful widgets and fancy widgets I have used both of them as well. BW is one of the few apps I have ever paid for and I definitely got my moneys worth. Fancy widgets is nice but always became a battery sucker for me. BW on the other hand didn't and there is a litany of customizable skins and options.09-29-2011 02:34 AM
- 09-29-2011 10:42 AM
- Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the stock launchers to not "hold" default when chosen (ie I chose TW but it doesn't stay as default)? And is there somewhere in the settings/menu to check as well? I really don't mind the stock launchers, just wish it would keep the default chosen. I have already replaced this phone once (for other reasons) and it occurs on this phone as well.09-29-2011 11:51 AM
- Until I find out which one, I have at this moment 5 launchers installed.
TW4, ADW Launcher EX, Go Launcher Ex, Launcher Pro, Open Home 6.
At this moment ADW has my preference,
I can configure more and I can set the "delay in page transitions" almost to zero. It really flies.
The app drawer can have multiple "catalogs",
I have hidden (!) dockbar(s), transparant icons.09-29-2011 01:45 PM
- I've been trying out Go Launcher EX. I've only noticed one slight disadvantage of this under Touchwiz, namely that it's slightly harder to move icons/widgets from screen to screen as you can't do TouchWiz's fancy tilt-the-phone-to-switch-pages trick.
There are several advantages that make me really prefer Go Launcher:
(1) You can resize *any* widget - most useful for scaling down needlessly big widgets.
(2) You can adjust the number of icons/page. Adding an extra row works nicely for me -- the extra space is handy, and it's not too crowded on the E4GT's huge display.
(3) You can adjust the transitions as you flip from screen to screen. A lot of the options are too frenetic for me, but a few, like the ones that make it seem like you're spinning a cube or a windmill, are pretty cool.
(4) You can rename all your icons and/or associate new images with them. There are a lot of custom themes available for free or cheap that can give you a lot of thematically similar icons. (That's actually not attractive to me, as I like my icons to look way different so it's easy to find the one I want, but I'm sure other people will rank aesthetics over functionality, and this gives you a lot of aesthetic options.)
(5) Your dock (the fixed bottom row of icons) gets up to 5 icons, plus you can swipe it left or right to get up to 10 extra dock icons if you want.
(6) The dock and app drawer can get their own backgrounds (also available in themes).
It may be that you can do some of this on TouchWiz too, and I just didn't notice how. As for other popular launchers, I think they can do a lot of this stuff as well, so I'm not sure how many of these advantages recommend Go in particular.
The main feature I currently wish Go had is the ability to overlap icons/widgets, so I could, for example float a clock over top of a map showing which parts of the world are in daylight. Oh, and I'd love to be able to get rid of the dumb home button out of the app drawer, as my phone already has a home button that I'm well-trained at using -- duh! But these are pretty minor wishes, and TouchWiz wasn't any better.09-30-2011 01:54 AM
- Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the stock launchers to not "hold" default when chosen (ie I chose TW but it doesn't stay as default)? And is there somewhere in the settings/menu to check as well? I really don't mind the stock launchers, just wish it would keep the default chosen. I have already replaced this phone once (for other reasons) and it occurs on this phone as well.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk09-30-2011 04:14 PM
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk09-30-2011 07:23 PM
Did you guys reset your phone or found a working solution?10-24-2011 03:53 PM
- Just happened to me yesterday with stock launcher and twlauncher. I did every suggestions I could find on the internet on that matter and ended up resetting the phone to fix it. It was very annoying since the default option will not stick no matter what I do.
Did you guys reset your phone or found a working solution?10-24-2011 04:07 PM
I don't care which launcher I choose, launcher or twlauncher. The default won't stick and I have to choose it when I press the home button after a while. That was SO.... annoying so I reset the phone after exhaustive search on "launcher and twlauncher" on three or four android forums. I tried to delete launcher or twlauncher prior to reset but of course no option to do so. I just need one, I don't care which one.
Lots of you won't have this problem but when it resurface, make sure you backup all the important data before resetting. Backing up using Astro File manager was pretty much useless and I found out I can't back up apps data, only the app itself unless I root my phone and use Titanium or ROM manager. This is the only thing I miss about Itune. It might take forever but I don't have to pair bluetooth or start Angry birds all over again.10-24-2011 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD