Loss of service bug

Scott500

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
uggggg, I got struck by this out of the blue yesterday. I've tried everything to fix it with no luck (other than temporary quick fixes). Seems like this is really becoming a problem.

I decided to let them send me a new phone (after several tech support calls and two complete factory restores) in hopes that maybe its a bad unit. Otherwise, if it happens again, I need to beat the 14 day window and return this phone ASAP. Sorta sounds like it is some kind of software issue but who knows when the fix might get released.

There are many many forums about it but this one seems pretty good:

Sprint Community: Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
And that one CLEARLY states that Sprint has identified the problem and are working on a fix. I had the issue happen a couple of time right after I got the phone on launch day, but haven't seen it since then. The thread also says there is no ETA for the maintenance patch, so if you are not interested in waiting...14 days is rapidly approaching.

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
uggggg, I got struck by this out of the blue yesterday. I've tried everything to fix it with no luck (other than temporary quick fixes). Seems like this is really becoming a problem.

I decided to let them send me a new phone (after several tech support calls and two complete factory restores) in hopes that maybe its a bad unit. Otherwise, if it happens again, I need to beat the 14 day window and return this phone ASAP. Sorta sounds like it is some kind of software issue but who knows when the fix might get released.

There are many many forums about it but this one seems pretty good:

Sprint Community: Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

I had the problem every time I went into airplane mode. I had Sprint reset the MSID and no problem since, hope this helps.

Scott500

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I've been with sprint for many many years and have been through the "we are working on a fix..." that either never comes or only partially fixes the issue and thats the end of it.

Some of us are having a really tough time with this bug....I have had a useless phone for 3 days now. Sprint states that they are not taking into account this issue (and its resolution) while you are in your 14 day window. Meaning, 14 days to return it...means 14 days to return it.

Anyway, best of luck to you if your having the issue. I'll report back on if the replaceent phone has any better performance. It's due here tomorrow.

scottresnik

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm seeing this issue as well. I noticed a similar issue on my original Epic 4G, but the issue only occurred on it when I was on my Airave and then tried to get back on the Sprint Network. Now I'm seeing it on my Touch when I'm on Wifi then try to go back to the sprint network. Oddly, 4G still works, but I get nothing if I try to use 3G only.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sucks for you guys experiencing this. It hasn't happened to me once, which does boggle the mind a bit.

I can only come up with two possible scenarios that are going on with the E4GT, which I think is responsible for many of the major issues that some owners are reporting (LOS, poor signal, random roaming, poor battery life, phone getting hot).

1) There is a bad batch of phones that shipped. Corrupted firmware install, bad batch of CDMA chips, weird configuration glitch, etc. Whatever the culprit, once or more of the production batches were bad.

OR

2) Something about the hardware and/or software configuration of this phone has some compatibility problems, or simply doesn't play nice with the hardware and/or software configuration of CERTAIN Sprint cell towers across the country. I'm sure there are variations throughout the grid, and it could be the newer equipment, or maybe the older equipment that is causing the problems.

Both of these possibilities would explain why some of us are having no problems whatsoever (like me .. sorry) and some are having issues.