Nexus Prime coming to Sprint with WiMax? Return E4GT and wait?

Return (or not buy) the E4GT and wait for the Sprint Nexus Prime?

• Total voters

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly, the Nexus Prime may be released in early November and it may even have a WiMax radio. I had never heard of that part, assuming it would have LTE on Verizon, so I never really considered it. But if it comes out for Sprint with WiMax in early November, then I may be tempted to return my E4GT -- which has been pretty great so far, wifi issue notwithstanding -- and wait for the Nexus Prime.

Samsung Nexus Prime Rumored to Have 4G WiMax, Global Launch

I still have two more days to return the E4GT, but I could just keep using my Evo 4G until November when the Prime comes out... although the HD display and Ice Cream Sandwich are probably the only reasons I would even want the Prime at all over the E4GT.

Last edited:

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Uh oh... Nexus Prime to have WiMax? What to do?!

I loved this phone but I had every attention of picking up the Prime when it drops on Sprint...

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Uh oh... Nexus Prime to have WiMax? What to do?!

Of course it will have Wimax. Was there a doubt? Can you wait a month?

I could wait, since I still have my Evo 4G on my other line that is set to shut down on Oct 7. So I could just return the E4GT and close the new line, keep the Evo 4G on the old line and pay for one more month of service, which should cover me until the Prime comes out the first week of Nov (of course, this is all speculation at this point regarding release dates, etc.).

But the thing is, I really like the E4GT... it's pretty much everything that I want in a phone. Basically, every improvement that I wanted in my Evo 4G (battery life, performance, thickness, build quality issues like the light leakage at the bottom bezel and the ill-fitting battery cover) is in my E4GT. Even TouchWiz -- which I always scorned from a distance -- is a positive, I find that it's an overall decent android skin. And I love the camera and 1080p recording quality.

So, waiting for the Prime could be a risk since it may be lacking in some way that the E4GT is not (e.g. battery life or camera quality could be worse). And I only have until Friday to decide -- and of course, it may turn out that the Prime will not be coming to Sprint, or it may not be coming out in early November, etc., in which case I would have to buy the E4GT again which is a hassle...

ayman86

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus Prime coming to Sprint with WiMax? Return E4GT and wait

im in the same boat. i wish i knew sprint wouldnt have it til next year, then ill keep my e4gt

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

I got my epic on sept 16 th. If I wanted to get the prime when it came out. How much would sprint hit me to switch? I sold my iphone 4 for $350 when I switched over.IM assuming I should be able to sell this phone.

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
But the thing is, I really like the E4GT... it's pretty much everything that I want in a phone. Basically, every improvement that I wanted in my Evo 4G (battery life, performance, thickness, build quality issues like the light leakage at the bottom bezel and the ill-fitting battery cover) is in my E4GT. Even TouchWiz -- which I always scorned from a distance -- is a positive, I find that it's an overall decent android skin. And I love the camera and 1080p recording quality.

I think you answered your question. I don't understand all these threads, if you like what you have then why would you return and wait fora rumored device? it's like computers, there its always something better just around the corner and if all you do its wait for that next thing you miss out on some great stuff

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site

I think you answered your question. I don't understand all these threads, if you like what you have then why would you return and wait fora rumored device? it's like computers, there its always something better just around the corner and if all you do its wait for that next thing you miss out on some great stuff

Exactly. And in all reality, what will the "Prime" hold over the E4GT? A better resolution on a possibly even bigger screen. Once ICS is official it won't be long at all before ICS is on plenty of phones via root and ROM. I see no reason to return a phone I'm still infatuated with personally.

GusRandall

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I'm a bit torn since the one thing I would change about the E4GT is the screen resolution. Reading about the new Exynos chip this morning also draws me more to the Prime (1.5Gz, better GPU, 30% more energy efficient). However, I truly love the E4GT in a way that I never loved my original Evo and we have no firm answer as to when Sprint will get the Prime - I personally suspect that it will be available for Verizon exclusively for a few months. So I'm keeping my E4GT and if I'm wrong about the Prime and it comes out much earlier, I may go ahead and get it without the upgrade, particularly if the Prime turns out to support both Wimax & LTE on Sprint.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

I think it was said somewhere the Prime will be a Verizon exclusive for a couple of months. Thats why Verizon didnt go with the SII.

Sprint will probably get the Prime sometime beginning of next year.

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site

I think it was said somewhere the Prime will be a Verizon exclusive for a couple of months. Thats why Verizon didnt go with the SII.

Sprint will probably get the Prime sometime beginning of next year.

Speculation until an official announcement.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

I'm betting it will be soon. Beginning of November sounds perfectly reasonable for seeing an ICS device on Sprint... though I'd rather see it in HTC or Moto hardware than Samsung.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

This is an impossible question to answer until the next Nexus is released. These devices almost always look awesome on paper, but as we all know, things can change once the they get into people's hands. I'd say only people who are REALLY into the Nexus line and the pure Google experience should hold out for it, assuming they also consider the E4GT to be a great device.

If the next Nexus blows the doors off the E4GT, I'll consider paying full retail and drop my Epic Touch on Craig's List, but I'm loving the phone and there's no way I'm going to return it for something that is currently in vaporware status.

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site

If the next Nexus blows the doors off the E4GT, I'll consider paying full retail and drop my Epic Touch on Craig's List, but I'm loving the phone and there's no way I'm going to return it for something that is currently in vaporware status.

This is how I do all my phone purchases & will continue to do so because I hate being tied to a contract. I did it with the EVO 3D & I'm looking to doing it with the GS2 if I'm digging the Prime. People ask why & it's a couple reasons for me, the Pure Google Experience & timely updates.

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site

Reminds me of the winter of 2010 when the first Droid came out and then the Nexus One came out and then the Incredible came out and then the Evo was going to come out.....They all looked like the best thing out there until the next one was announced.

Thanks to the generous 30 day return policy, I tried each of those phone for a while before settling for the Evo, which proved to be the best of 'em all for a surprisingly long time. Now that the next generation of dual-core 1.2 ghz processors has arrived, it's the same phenomena all over again. Just one difference though...I'm keeping this Epic Touch 4G no matter what's next. I like it that much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay