Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default screen turned yellow!

I was using my phone, and the screen turned a yellow tint for about one minute. Then it restored itself. I've read about yellow tint issue on lower left side of screen, but this was scary.

If it turned yellow permanently, would Sprint replace this phone after 14 days?

ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: screen turned yellow!

I had this happen to me very quickly. Not a minute, but it was the entire screen. I locked the phone and unlocked and it was fine. Very odd problem. My guess is it had something to do with the lighting level and the auto brightness. Do you have auto brightness turned on? That is my guess anyway. Cause I do and it makes sense if i think about it enough :-)
    Jeff
    Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Pixi, Moto Q, BB Curve, PPC-6700
    Addicted to cell phones since 1998

ROM
    Stock for now

As a second piece of your question. That would be covered under the manufacturers warranty (i believe one year). Samsung would take care of that for you. if you have the TEP (Total Equipment Protection), that would be covered in the service side of that as well.
    Jeff
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by oskar1995 View Post
    I had this happen to me very quickly. Not a minute, but it was the entire screen. I locked the phone and unlocked and it was fine. Very odd problem. My guess is it had something to do with the lighting level and the auto brightness. Do you have auto brightness turned on? That is my guess anyway. Cause I do and it makes sense if i think about it enough :-)
    Yes, I have auto brightness enabled. I hope it was just that, and not a hardware issue.

ROM
    Stock for now

I'm going to guess it has something to do with that. I'm actually more relieved to know there is someone else who experienced it. I will certainly be keeping my eyes peeled on this to see if it develops to more of an issue. I think it comes down to the way Super AMOLED+ lights the screen and just picks up a really really dark hue. Its pretty well known there are some kinks in the auto brightness and this momentary darkness might be.
    Jeff
    Banned

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pedrlaw View Post
    I was using my phone, and the screen turned a yellow tint for about one minute. Then it restored itself. I've read about yellow tint issue on lower left side of screen, but this was scary.

If it turned yellow permanently, would Sprint replace this phone after 14 days?
    Maybe it got jelouse seeing the new HTC Amaze comeing out soon! kick asss LOL

ROM
    Stock 4.2 Jellybean

I think it's auto brightness, there's also toggle under Settings>Display called "Adjust Screen Power" which adjusts screen brightness based on the image being displayed, so that could be it too.
    LG Nexus 4 (16 GB) - Stock 4.2 - Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Asus Nexus 7 (16 GB) - Black Bean 6 - Franco Kernel
    Samsung Chromebook (ARM) - Stock

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Sold...

All in with Google...
    Banned

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

this phone should be perfect ............what happened lol

I had the same experience, except my screen turned magenta, or more specifically, it lost all green, so everything was red, blue, black, or something in between -- hence mostly some flavor of magenta. For those of you who were getting "yellow" screens, were these actually no-blue screens, with everything being red/orange/yellow/green/black? I wonder if anyone's experienced a no-red screen, with everything being blue/cyan/green/black?

Out of curiousity, are any of you who are experiencing this using Go Launcher EX? I installed it not too long before the color glitch.

Also, if this happens to anybody again, it might be a good idea to grab a screen-capture (by holding Home and quickly hitting the Power button). Twould be interesting to see whether the captured image is full color (indicating that the problem is fairly late in the process, perhaps even in the display hardware) or whether captured image is distorted too (indicating that the problem is relatively early in the processing, most likely in software).

Anyway, tis a weird bug, but I was very relieved when it righted itself after about a minute.

ROM
    Stock for now

jacief, if i see it pop up again I will certainly screen cap it. As someone mentioned, I think it has to do with the "Adjust Screen Power" setting. That means there are two different pieces of software adjusting brightness and power. One (or both) of those wonked out causing irregular screen activity.
    Jeff

ROM
    Stock 4.2 Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by oskar1995 View Post
    jacief, if i see it pop up again I will certainly screen cap it. As someone mentioned, I think it has to do with the "Adjust Screen Power" setting. That means there are two different pieces of software adjusting brightness and power. One (or both) of those wonked out causing irregular screen activity.
    I think it's one of those settings unless it's really drastic and lasts for a while.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch
    LG Nexus 4 (16 GB) - Stock 4.2 - Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Asus Nexus 7 (16 GB) - Black Bean 6 - Franco Kernel
    Samsung Chromebook (ARM) - Stock

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Sold...

All in with Google...

The same thing happen to me how did you fix it

- - - Updated - - -

The same thing happen to me how did you fix it