Need advice: get the phone or not....?

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
So I am trying to figure out what to do.

I have the HTC EVO, will be a year today. I can upgrade on 10/1 because I am a premier gold member. I have so many different things to decide - upgrade to the Epic 4g touch for 2 years but since premier is ending I can't upgrade for another 20 months. I am used to getting a new phone every 12 months and the way technology moves, 20 months will be just too long for me. And now because I just compared 3g speeds on my phone to my wife's Bionic (verizon) I was blown away. I get like 300-700 (when my 3g actually works) and my wife gets like 1500-2300. I just tested the phones side to side. Now I am curious if it is more than just the network could the phone be faster too. If I got the Epic 4g touch would my speeds increase? I also noticed her wifi speed is 1.5 to 2 times faster then mine which makes no sense but whatever.

So do I get the Epic 4g touch for $350 (after the $150 2yr upgrade discount) and if I decide to get another phone with Sprint after a year pay $350 ETF or if I go to Verizon pay the $350 ETF so the phone costs me $700 in reality ($350 for phone, $350 for ETF) or do I just buy the phone with no contract for $500 but then I assume I have to pay $200 ETF (which is what my current contracts ETF is) for my current HTC EVO? So that is $700 too.

I really need to get rid of Sprint, the Verizon network is just so much better. Though I really want the Epic 4g touch the Droid Prime rumored specs really are enticing.

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I really need to get rid of Sprint, the Verizon network is just so much better.

Personal opinion, if it won't hurt your pocket in the long run, go for the better service. I personally love my E4GT, but I will say I got slightly better voice/3g service with my Evo. Call and see what your ETF would be, it should be less than $200 by now. Don't let rumors influence your decisions, the Droid/Nexus/Galaxy Prime/Vaporware phone will likely be outed next week, so worry about the specs after that.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Personal opinion, if it won't hurt your pocket in the long run, go for the better service. I personally love my E4GT, but I will say I got slightly better voice/3g service with my Evo. Call and see what your ETF would be, it should be less than $200 by now. Don't let rumors influence your decisions, the Droid/Nexus/Galaxy Prime/Vaporware phone will likely be outed next week, so worry about the specs after that.

Good point thanks. I think if i did not run Speedtest side by side with my wifes Binonic I would not be so eager to swtich to Verizon but the speeds she gets vs mine is just insane and unacceptable to get such crap service that Sprint gives and I have been with them for 10+ yrs.

pedrlaw

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
This phone is so nice, but Sprint "4G" network is a joke. I have Droid Charge from my work, and the network speeds are ridiculously fast. On Epic 4G Touch, I find WiMax to be very inconsistent, and it doesn't failover to 3G very well. I just leave it off because I'd rather than consistency at 3G speeds than erratic 4G behavior.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's. As far as 4g we do not get it, I am 50 min north of NYC and even in NYC I saw 1 dot for 4g and it hardly stayed connected.

As far as the price on Sprint I thought $199 was for new 2 year contract not upgrade but if that is the upgrade price for a 2 year contract (upgrade from my evo) than that is not bad. Still will have to pay the $350 ETF if I decide to go to Verizon but Verizon service is so good, I should have never compared my service to my wife's now I am bugging out! lol