externalSD says files are "corrupt" or "wrong format" (E4GT)

froggbee

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I got my phone at the local Sprint store on Thursday, September 22nd.

For the past year I've had the HTC Evo 4G with a 8GB Sandisk microSD. When I upgraded, my husband got that phone and the card - I opted to buy a 32GB Sandisk microSD for the new phone.

My problem is, the darn thing isn't functioning properly!

This is my procedure for loading music from my desktop PC (Windows 7) to my phone.

(01) Connect USB to tower
(02) Connect USB to phone
(03) Pull down the notification window and click the area that says connect to copy files.
(04) Wait for PC to open windows for the internalSD and externalSD
(05) Minimize internalSD
(06) Open My Music folder, Ctrl A, Ctrl C
(07) Back to externalSD, Ctrl V
(08) :: walk away from computer while it takes it's time to transfer 1,200 songs over ::
(09) Right click on externalSD and click Eject
(10) Click the disconnect button on the phone, unplug USB
(11) Wait for the "Media Scan" dealie to be done with what it's doing
(12) Open music player (I have Mixzing - I miss the HTC Evo stock music player)
(13) Feel the rage growing inside as I find that 500+ songs don't work

The error message I get say "The file is corrupt" or "cannot play this type". When I open the folder, all songs are there. I connect back to the computer, open the externalSD folder, and it's empty... No files at all in the folder. Yet it says that there are 4-5GB used. Um? Now I fly into a mini-rage where I curse Sprint and their marketing team for making me want to "upgrade" from my beloved Evo.

(Before you ask, I have tried putting the music onto the internalSD with the same results.)

Now, I know these files aren't corrupted. I listen to this music every day. I have various groupings of these music files on my desktop PC at work, both my & my husband's netbooks, a no-name brand MP3 player, an iPod Touch, on two smaller microSDs that my parents use in their phones, and the 8GB microSD that my husband has in the Evo.

Before I disconnect the phone from the USB, while the folder is open, if I double-click on random songs, they will play thru my computer. They all show up. Their tags all display (in details view). But the second I disconnect and attempt to play thru my phone (I've use the stock music play, Mixzing, and PowerAmp), I get errors.

In one of my mini-rages, I did format my phone back to factory settings. Thinking "well, maybe it's one of the dang apps screwing with it". But, no, same problem. I've formatted the microSD countless times. Thru my PC (both as a quick format and full format) and thru my phone. Same results every time.

Now, do I write the seller on Amazon from whom I bought the microSD (he has 100% positive feedback on his Amazon page and his personal electronics website) and initiate a return? Or do I go to Sprint and ask for a replacement? I would attempt to put the card into my husband's Evo and see what kind of results I get, but I'm afraid to curse his phone with that thing.

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what file system the SD card was formatted in. That may be the issue. When you format it, what file system are you choosing?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes, start from scratch. On your phone, go into settings --> Storage --> and Unmount SD card. Then you should be able to Format SD card. Then follow the steps you wrote out.

froggbee

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what file system the SD card was formatted in. That may be the issue. When you format it, what file system are you choosing?

I can't tell you off the top of my head exactly what the options are, but there's FAT w a couple #s after it and a four letter code starting w N, like NFSC or something like that.

For the heck of it, I took out the card and tried to put music on the internalSD and got the same errors.

And it is never the same songs. One time it'll be all the songs by artists that start w E, next time it will be all the artists that start w J...

froggbee

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the input, guys.

I think I got duped... I bought the card thru Boltwoods.com thru Amazon.

I decided to take the card out, format the phone, and try it all using just internalSD. The music transferred over much quicker than previous attempts and every song is working.

Guess it's time to fight w the seller - and I've learned my lesson about buying online. I'll have to see of my brother can use his employee discount for me at Best Buy to get a new one.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
buy online is fine its the seller that you have look into. Glad though that you were able to get it working . I use Google Music Bata so all my space is still free...

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Lots of sd cards and flash memory thumb drives that don't pass quality controls at the manufacturer get into the wrong hands and are sold on Ebay.