Frustrated

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Here are the things that frustrate me about this phone:

1. I CANT READ WHAT IM TYPING. I just typed that in all caps because this stupid keyboard is covering everything I type.
2. Wifi signal isn't bad, it sucks.
3. Why can't I choose to silence the phone? It should be an option, not just loud and vibrate.
4. As someone else pointed out, how in the heck do I go to my home screen in the browser.
5. Keyboard is bad. I don't know if it's over sensitive or what but typing accurately is difficult even after a week.
6. The Bluetooth connection to my Chevy Malibu works sporadically.
7. I'm in downtown Boston and can't find a reliable 4g signal anywhere.

That's it for now. I love how this phone looks but thinking I need to go back to a HTC device.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't own a Chevy but have you checked to see if you have the most current firmware on your Malibus system?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
1. I CANT READ WHAT IM TYPING. I just typed that in all caps because this stupid keyboard is covering everything I type.

Download the stock gingerbread keyboard or drop a couple bucks on Swiftkey X. Also, download a different browser. I recommend Dolphin HD or Opera. Should resolve your issues with the keyboard covering the text input box.

Are you going by the little bars on your screen, or actual download speeds? I fluctuate between 1 and 2 bars at home with my wifi router upstairs and scross the house, but still get excellent download speeds.

3. Why can't I choose to silence the phone? It should be an option, not just loud and vibrate.

Menu > Settings > Sound > Vibration > choose "Only when not in silent mode"

4. As someone else pointed out, how in the heck do I go to my home screen in the browser.

See my reply to #1

5. Keyboard is bad. I don't know if it's over sensitive or what but typing accurately is difficult even after a week.

See my replies to #1 and #4

Can't help ya there obviously. Call Samsung tech support so at least a ticket is opened. Maybe there will be a bluetooth update at some point.

I don't have 4G at all in San Diego. Sprint WiMax deployment was an utter failure.

Feeling less frustrated? :p

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Download the stock gingerbread keyboard or drop a couple bucks on Swiftkey X. Also, download a different browser. I recommend Dolphin HD or Opera. Should resolve your issues with the keyboard covering the text input box.

Are you going by the little bars on your screen, or actual download speeds? I fluctuate between 1 and 2 bars at home with my wifi router upstairs and scross the house, but still get excellent download speeds.

Menu > Settings > Sound > Vibration > choose "Only when not in silent mode"

See my reply to #1

See my replies to #1 and #4

Can't help ya there obviously. Call Samsung tech support so at least a ticket is opened. Maybe there will be a bluetooth update at some point.

I don't have 4G at all in San Diego. Sprint WiMax deployment was an utter failure.

Feeling less frustrated? :p

Yes and No. Thanks for the reply! As far as wifi, I am going by clicking on details and showing that I get fair and poor on the GSII (usually 11Mbps link speed if I'm lucky) and excellent on my droid incredible with 54 Mbps - and having problems with Twitter not updating when the signal is really low.

I tried the gingerbread keyboard and was having the same problem and then it seems like it fixed itself for the time being. I can't believe anyone else hasn't noticed this.

And for one last frustration. Whey doesn't hitting the spacebar twice leave a darn period. I've had that option on every phone for the last 5 years or so.

Thanks

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Make sure the Swype keyboard is not stuck in a Spanish mode.

That's what happened to me!

Rob

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

expertzero1

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
sometimes you have to wait for it to automatically connect to the bluetooth device, about 30 seconds, if not you can manually connect it by going to wireless settings. As for the silence, lol, jay already answered that, figured that out on my first day using this phone...

keyboard, maybe use thumb keyboard.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Are we ranting at Sprint? I was in for the unlimited hotspot, but they capped it, and changed my contract terms. Good by for now........good by so long.......Sprint. crappy cause I hearted the sgsII on Sprint. Hands down the best version.

So much for trying to be good, back to my free hacking ways.

Last edited:

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't quite understand how you could possibly be pulling 54mbps down from your wireless router unless you've got some special sauce coming into your house for your broadband connection.

Depending on where I am in the house, I get between 7 (basement and back porch) and 20 right near the wireless router on Comcast in MA.

The Comcast service I pay for only gives me 20 anyway.

My HTC phones always read 54....but do a speedtest and find out what reality is.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
You deserve a thanks for your help. (hope the OP will do the same) I didn't know about the vibration setting.

I did know about the vibration setting but I don't want to have to go through all those steps to be able to silence the phone completely.HTC has a sound profile widget and you can select between normal (phone rings), vibrate or silent.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
With the setting Jay mentioned, you only have to do it once. Then to silence the phone you pull down the notification bar to toggle between silent and loud. To toggle between loud, vibrate and silent you will have to get a 3rd party widget. I too, miss that from sense

~will work for food~

Reactions: Murphy5111

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
With the setting Jay mentioned, you only have to do it once. Then to silence the phone you pull down the notification bar to toggle between silent and loud. To toggle between loud, vibrate and silent you will have to get a 3rd party widget. I too, miss that from sense

~will work for food~

Thanks! Downloaded a profile widget and can select between four options. I used to have the sense one on my home screen I used it so much.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Don't quite understand how you could possibly be pulling 54mbps down from your wireless router unless you've got some special sauce coming into your house for your broadband connection.

Depending on where I am in the house, I get between 7 (basement and back porch) and 20 right near the wireless router on Comcast in MA.

The Comcast service I pay for only gives me 20 anyway.

My HTC phones always read 54....but do a speedtest and find out what reality is.

Ok, I downloaded speedtest which took three times as long on the gsII than the incredible. But here are some results never more than twenty to thirty feet from router. Please let me know if these are acceptable. Thanks

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
What profile widget did you download that gives you four options?

It is Simple Sound Profile Widget by OSOFT. It does display an additional icon up in the status bar which people may not like and I've noticed that I am unable to swipe the bar to change brightness now (not sure if it's related by probably is). These don't bug me enough to remove it. It's a feature that I use all the time.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't stand when that happens. There must be a way to remove the Spanish off Swype if one doesn't ever use it, no?

Hold your finger on the little globe button and a menu will pop up where you can deselect Spanish as a language option. No more accidental attempts to bring out your inner latino or latina! ;)

Reactions: HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hold your finger on the little globe button and a menu will pop up where you can deselect Spanish as a language option. No more accidental attempts to bring out your inner latino or latina! ;)
Good lord...to think I could have avoided multiple twitter posts en Espa?ol if I'd known how to turn that off sooner...:p

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy