Any Way To Prevent Music Player Autostarting With Bluetooth?

Iulian G

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with Galaxy Note.

I notice that with bluetooth handsfree that i use. The handsfree connects to phone for 2 services: phone and a2dp (audio).
My car player MVH-350BT connects also to my phone and uses the two services (phone&audio).
But only the car player autostarts the default player resuming the music from where it was interrupted last time. So there are 2 device connecting to the sane function (not in the sane time) and that behave differently. I'm thinking to study carrefully the manual of the car player to see it it has the option not no autoplay...

mlosnedahl

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Is there any fix for this? This thread is quite old, and it seems nothing has happened on this front, and Google should be aware. right...?
For me, this problem happens on my phone every time I connect my bluetooth headset. It's not that annoying for me, because when i connect my headset, it's because I'm going to listen to music. Can really see this being a big problem for car users tho...
Hopeful for a fix, or some suggestions!

Devilsbane

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
No fix for me and my Evo4G. Really annoying for car users. I'll occasionally listen to music off my phone in my car, but typically the radio is good. My Palm Pre did this too, and it worked perfectly because when I wasn't using the music app I would flick it away (yes that easy to close an app) and then it was actually gone. If I had the app up, it would start when I got in the car and stop when I got out. But with Android, the app is always running and always starts when I get in the car. I don't hear it (not tuned to Bluetooth), but its draining system resources and my patience when I need to open the app and stop it.

Moral of the story is, Android needs to work on multitasking. Yes, sometimes I want an app open in the background. But not always, and I should be able to easily end it when I don't want it.

Yirg

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Moral of the story is, Android needs to work on multitasking. Yes, sometimes I want an app open in the background. But not always, and I should be able to easily end it when I don't want it.

I don't believe this is an issue with Android, but rather one with Ford SYNC (and possibly other similar systems) voluntarily sending a "Play" message to the phone without me asking for it.

I'd be very happy to hear about a solution, even one which involves Tasker. So far nothing I've tried seem to work.

zh001d

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with the Galaxy S3 and 2012 Hyundai Sonata. Once the BT is connected, Google Play Music autostarts. I have clear the default and cache. It still comes on automatically although no music is playing because I clear the cache. Any fix for this??? It's very annoying.

vishsarda

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I liked the above mentioned app, but I am looking for something opposite, is there anyway to not stop music or anything else to stop when I turn bluetooth off? Please let me know if someone finds it...

ekalanga

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot for this tip - Settings > Bluetooth... select device... disable Media Audio. It was so annoying I contemplated trashing my Plantorincs M165 used on Nexus 5. All I need it for is talk-on-the-go, not music. You saved me a great head ache.

Cheers.

jmicks8

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
This is what I do to prevent autoplay. Hope this is useful to someone...
For those who use Tasker and are rooted, you can create a profile which is enabled on Bluetooth connect, or more specifically, SYNC (for Ford owners like me)
-Create a task
-add a script action
-touch run shell
-in the command line add the code "pm disable <package here>"
so my command looks like "pm disable com.andrew.apollo"
-check the box for Use Root.
-save your task

When connected to SYNC, Apollo is disabled and will not autoplay.

If you want it to be re-enabled on Bluetooth disconnect, add an exit task: Task>Script Action>Run Shell
-in the command line add the code "pm enable <package here>"
-check Use Root
-save your task

Chrono16

May 7, 2014
Visit site
How to prevent the Samsung S4 default music player Autostarting when Bluetooth is on

I figured out recently how to play music from a USB through the audio system of my Honda Civic 2013 model. One has to select AUX on the dash in order to activate the car's sound system. Problem is: I use my phone's bluetooth to make and receive phone calls while driving, AND, when AUX is now selected the default music player of the S4 activates itself. This is truly annoying and requires one to first open the phone, select the music payer and stop the music. Everytime.

I searched high and low and along the way realized that one can access the bluetooth settings on the phone. However, take note, the only way you can solve the autostarting problem is while you are in your car and bluetooth is connected to it. Once that has been done, select phone SETTINGS > CONNECTIONS and then keep your finger on BLUETOOTH a while. The devices that are paired to your phone will appear in a list. On my phone there is a settings icon on the smae line where my Honda as a paired partner appears. Select that icon and 2 options will be listed: "CALL AUDIO" and "MEDIA AUDIO". (You can get here if your phone is not connected to a paired partner BUT, the 2 blocks will NOT BE TICKED.) Both of these options will be ticked. Untick MEDIA AUDIO. Exit.

You have solved the problem!

My description may vary from one Android phone to another but you should be able to sort it out. Bottomline is: this is not a glitch in Android software or your car's system. Sad that Android/Samsung does not issue a statement because this is driving people crazy.

WinCPP

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to prevent the Samsung S4 default music player Autostarting when Bluetooth is on

Unchecking 'MEDIA AUDIO' stops all sorts of media streaming. Music player and Google Maps both stream as media to the car system. I use car's audio system to play out the voice navigation commands from Google Maps on my Android phone, but I don't want to play the songs. Unchecking the 'media audio' check box stops both of them.

I think either Android / Samsung or the car audio system manufacturers need to come out clean on this. Someone has goofed up really badly in software implementation.

thylorion

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to prevent the Samsung S4 default music player Autostarting when Bluetooth is on

I found a solution to this problem, actually I more like stumbled upon it. It's more like a work around, but you are going to need two apps to make this work. The first app is Disable AutoPlay and the second one is Media Button Router. I am sure that many of you have already tried both of these separately.

In the Disable AutoPlay app, you either have a choice "Disable Media Button" or to "Enable Media Button." Either one will work, I have already tested them both.

Next in the Media Button Router App, you must make sure "Enable" is checked. It does not matter if anything else is checked until you get down to the heading labeled "Apps To Show In The Selector." "DisableAutoPlay" actually shows up here, although I don't think it should maybe it is some kind of bug, but make sure that this app is checked and ONLY this app is checked, all other apps should be unchecked.

I noticed when I turn on my car, my stereo will read "Tr01" for about a second than goes into standby because "Tr01," so nothing happens. In this case I have not actually prevented AutoPlay from starting, it does its job, but can't play audio because "Tr01" does not exist and when it fails to play the audio it thinks it has reached the end of the current folder (at least that is my theory). This allowed me to use my navigation app, make phone calls and use my favorite music player app when I choose to do so. I believe it will also let you play your podcasts, although I have not tried that.

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Older thread, but it's the #1 Google search result for "android stop bluetooth autoplay", so I'm hoping this info helps others. I found an app not mentioned (at least I didn't see it) in this thread. Bluetooth Connect & Play -- it has the option to "Stop music from playing" instead of just picking from a specific app (can do that as well though) which is exactly what I wanted. I didn't want any apps to automatically play. I have a couple that will which have no options to disable them from doing so. This app has done a brilliant job of taming them on my Note 3 and allowing me to decide. It also has another great feature to set the "media" volume to anything you like (max in my case) upon connecting, then restore the setting on disconnecting. Solved another huge annoyance of mine!

There seems to be some devices that don't work well with the app, but it's been awesome for me so far. Hopefully this helps others trying to solve the same issues.

dylancam90

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
This was a problem with my EVO, especially with WinAmp and Listen having no option to ignore BT headset controls, so they'd automatically launch and start playing whenever my Sync system was detected. (I DESPISE any app which presumes it knows what's best for me and just does what it wants to be "helpful" w/o given a means to turn it off.)

Well, I wanted to listen to some podcasts with Pocket Casts and the moment I switched to Bluetooth, it started the Music app and playing ringtones I'd copied over. I can't see anywhere in the app or in the phone's BT settings to disable it. I Googled and found a TWO-YEARS RUNNING thread on the Android Bug Tracking site complaining about this issue on just about every phone. Someone suggested using an app called Headset Blocker, but it appears that when I receive a phone call, it doesn't stop Pocket Casts, so I've got to hunt around for where I'd left off.

If I wanted my hardware and software to boss how I use my phone around, I would've bought an Apple product. Any ideas on how to stop this. I'm not quite ready to root yet. Thanks.
Hey, I'm bumping this because it's pretty old and I'm wondering if anything new has come out to stop this. I have a Ford focus 2012 and have heard elsewhere that the problem might be with the car and not the phone. I got a Note 3 running stock lollipop and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

rogueFactor

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
***UPDATE/EDIT:

***The TYPICAL issue experienced that when pairing with a car your music starts playing and it is whatever your music app has detected as songs, be it a voicemail, (that seriously bad song you made into an even worse ringtone, voice recordings, the "Life is good theme" is the common one with LG phones.

If you're like me and remove all the crap songs that come with your phone you get the pop-up saying "no songs to play". The problem is it keeps trying to look for songs to play. I've since gone a step further and "disabled" this app since i have other music / media apps.

ALL,
I've had the same issue since ICS and have had the same issue on lollipop. This fixes the issue on at least these Devices LG G2, ONEPLUS ONE, LG G3. It Took me about 40 minutes sitting in my car to figure this out and which app is the culprit.

If you can't get to my profile go into all apps in Android scroll down to your music apps and it should be the one with the purple icon mine reads 4.4.something. uncheck "SHOW NOTIFICATIONS". Now you don't have to disable your Bluetooth media player and you don't get the annoying pop up.

Hey, I'm bumping this because it's pretty old and I'm wondering if anything new has come out to stop this. I have a Ford focus 2012 and have heard elsewhere that the problem might be with the car and not the phone. I got a Note 3 running stock lollipop and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. Thank you.
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nick Rollins

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Any Way To Prevent Music Player Autostarting With Bluetooth? Ford Sync

Samsung S series phone and Ford Sync.

Mine was working great would just connect to BT and then wait for me to pick an app to start audio.
Then today it started playing voice mail from google play music - UGH autostart from where. No fun to try and fix while driving.
Found this thread played with my phone and ended up in all applications then google play music - disable the app , turn off notifications.
retested with sync all better. Back to normal and not auto starting music app.

Happy again.

THeChonguis

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Any Way To Prevent Music Player Autostarting With Bluetooth? Ford Sync

Hi, Im new here.

If you are having trouble with autoplay when connecting BT to your car its most likely the car system that automatically sends a play command to the phone, and not your phone thats the root cause. So in the car case all you need to do is un-check the "BT-Audio AutoPlay" in your car sytem. Well, thats assuming your car actually gives you that option, mine do but maybee not all. So no rooting or apps needed on your fone for that.

So now Im finally free from that somewhat annoying LG song greeting me every morning in the car.
-Also happy again.

rogueFactor

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
The root cause is ALLOWING the request from the In-car system to X Android Device(read: a trusted device in the system's trusted device list. -in this case a Toyota.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34