How do you hold your phone?

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm still trying to get comfortable with the size of this phone. I find that in portrait mode I have to support the bottom with both pinkies special it meant slip out. Sometimes I get away with just my right one. if I can lay the phone flat, I can get away without doing it.

niannello

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
i just hold it with my left hand most of the time,but i have larger hands. i have never liked using phones in landscape mode ... but i maybe give it another try,

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm still trying to get comfortable with the size of this phone. I find that in portrait mode I have to support the bottom with both pinkies special it meant slip out. Sometimes I get away with just my right one. if I can lay the phone flat, I can get away without doing it.

Are you talking about when typing? I like to use my phone in portrait mode because it is faster to type on and I can see more of the screen.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about when typing? I like to use my phone in portrait mode because it is faster to type on and I can see more of the screen.

Yes when typing. Just curious to hear how people use the phone. I find it difficult to hold upright without having to support the bottom. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it doesn't feel very natural yet.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting better at thumb typing with it, but it is a bit awkward to hold in portrait that way. Thankfully Swiftkey X fixes most of my fat thumb blunders.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I like typing with Swype, coming from a phone that had a physical keyboard, in portrait mode.

Its almost impossible to use Swype in landscape mode.

I'm left handed and I've been holding with my left hand and using my right thumb to a Swype with.

I did find that certain apps don't play nice with a Swype.

I might want to try to add another keyboard to the phone but not sure which one?

Please recommend your favorite!

Rob

niannello

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I like typing with Swype, coming from a phone that had a physical keyboard, in portrait mode.

Its almost impossible to use Swype in landscape mode.

I'm left handed and I've been holding with my left hand and using my right thumb to a Swype with.

I did find that certain apps don't play nice with a Swype.

I might want to try to add another keyboard to the phone but not sure which one?

Please recommend your favorite!

Rob

I use Smart Keyboard from the market. works well, some good settings too.

Reactions: rlanza1054

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I hold my phone in my left hand in portrait mode and access 95% of the functions with my left thumb. That's why swype doesn't work for me but Swiftkey is perfect. The volume controls on the left works well for scrolling in the browser. The rocker is also used to turn pages in Kindle.

If I'm typing in a forum, I'll go into landscape if I know I'm going to be typing a lot. Otherwise, I type with two thumbs in portrait mode for URLs or whatnot. If it's not a lot to type, I'll just peck it out with my thumb and let Swiftkey do most of the work.

popularbelief

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I went from Swiftkey X to Thumb Keyboard since they were both free on the Amazon of the Day. Thumb Keyboard is awesome in portrait and landscape mode. It's slowly becoming my favorite. Highly suggest it.

Reactions: rlanza1054

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have both as well, but you can't beat SwiftKey's word prediction and its ability to learn from your word usage. If I have to retype something, all the words I used just pop right up.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
OK, I switched back to swift key. I still have exams the same problem I mentioned j. Another thread. I can't see this response because it is covered by the keyboard. I'm in portrait mode and responding using the mobile site. Anyone else have this problem? I also have trouble going back to edit posts.

Thedonkeyshow808

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Ever soooo gently...I don't have a fanchy-smanchy case yet.

Is it possible to get carpal tunnel of the thumb? Cause that's what it feels like when I mess w/ this phone for long periods @ a time.
Right handed, my pointer is somewhere around the flash. The middle is just below Galaxy S II. The ring figer goes between Sprint and the hump. And finally the pinky curles a 180 below,supporting the beast.

Thumb is sore after a while.:confused:

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Right or left hand, general use. I have large hands. Took some getting use to since I've used two thick phones since original SGS, the screen is a bit healthy! I'm use to it now, with one pinky underneath, ring & middle on the sides and spine, and index fully supporting spine alone. The keyboard is swyped out & accurate again now! Picked up evo3d the other day, and OG evo last week they felt like alien technology, & 3d so narrow and heavy what the heck were they thinking. And I used that thing way to small to for comfortably in hand. Wider Is Better!

Krasin

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have the Evo 4G.

For one handed use, I have my pinkie supporting the bottom and the phone lays diagonal to the ground on my ring middle and index fingers so that my thumb has full range of the screen.

For two handed use, I do basically the same but with both hands.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
OK, I switched back to swift key. I still have exams the same problem I mentioned j. Another thread. I can't see this response because it is covered by the keyboard. I'm in portrait mode and responding using the mobile site. Anyone else have this problem? I also have trouble going back to edit posts.
What browser are you using? Dolphin HD automatically moves the reply window above the keyboard so you can see what you're typing.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Using the stock browser. It really is a pain, the word suggestions are covering what I'm typing right now. I'll try Dolphin

Ok dowloaded dolphin browser and added some thingy on the side so I can adjust the brightness. Was browsing and phone got up to 108 degrees and battery is dropping fast. I assume this is the browser doing this? I'll attach a screen shot of batttery use - it may not look that low, but it dropped pretty quickly

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I went from Swiftkey X to Thumb Keyboard since they were both free on the Amazon of the Day. Thumb Keyboard is awesome in portrait and landscape mode. It's slowly becoming my favorite. Highly suggest it.

Hi,

I wanted to try out that Thumb Keyboard that you mention but when I looked in the Market, I found several Thumb Keyboards.

Can you tell me which one you got? Maybe the developers name.

Rob