One month later...how do you like you GS2 ?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I am still on the Nexus-S 4G, but thinking of possibly upgrading to the Samsung Galaxy S2, I love that screen and thin form factor :) For sure will upgrade if XDA can port ICS to it next month or two.

For the people that bought it last month, what is your honest opinion of the phone now that you have had it awhile ? Would you buy it again ? Are the network/signal issues as bad as I read ?

Thanks

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I am still on the Nexus-S 4G, but thinking of possibly upgrading to the Samsung Galaxy S2, I love that screen and thin form factor :) For sure will upgrade if XDA can port ICS to it next month or two.

For the people that bought it last month, what is your honest opinion of the phone now that you have had it awhile ? Would you buy it again ? Are the network/signal issues as bad as I read ?

Thanks

Man, i'm loving the phone and would definitely buy it again. I've had no issues with it. As far as the network/signal issues i guess that might depend on your area. I've had no issues with signal. I've had no lag issues and the phone is super fast and fluid in screen transition. There are just minor things that bothered me but are petty such as i wish the lock screen would stay one when charging so my customized lockscreen is always on display while charging. The volume could be a tad louder for music. The battery life that i'm getting is incredible for a phone of this caliber as well. So for me other than those two things, the phone is perfect for me.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Thanks
Z I would buy it all over again.
Its fast , Screen is amazing , Battery life is top notch & Touchwiz is so user friendly performs great....better then Sense in my opinion.
Ive had no LOS due to strong coverage area everything is A OK.
LOS Issue is present for some it needs to be addressed.
I have posted on At Sprint community about it , Emailed Sprint/Samsung , Tweeted alot to come up with fix.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Zorachus - In a heartbeat I would buy this phone again. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones without any network problems and I find that the internet and such are quicker on this phone than my Photon. The form factor is out of the world, and the screen is amazing. As much as I didn't think it would bother me, that pentile screen on the Photon was annoying.

Back to the Epic 4G Touch: As I said the screen is beautiful, the phone is razor thin and insanely light. It handles everything I ask it to. Battery life is way above average for an Android device.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love the phone. Perfect? No phone is, but this phone comes close in my opinion in terms of user experience and the hardware.

Just saw that drop test video with the S2 and 4S... Anyone want to question the build quality now? LOL

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the honest replies. I had my heart set on the upcoming Nexus-Prime, but looks to be a Verizon exclusive to start, and I will not leave Sprint just for one phone, their plans are too pricey. Plus my Wife is happy with her Nexus-S. And I bet at the end of the day the Prime hardware will not be radically different than the Sprint GS2, except the nice HD screen.

But if XDA can port Android 4.0 ICS to this GS2, which I bet they will, since the Nexus-S 4G will be getting it, and the Prime is also a Samsung made device, I think the GS2 has a good shot at getting a port sooner than later ?

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had signal issues... I have had little grips and annoyances with the phone, it's features, and some other things it brings to the table. Some things awesome, other things meh, and some things are hit and / or miss.

With all that being said, I in no way have buyers remorse. I would love for Samsung and Sprint to jump in bed together (sorry, but yes) and get some of the minor bugs fixed (maintenance release updates please?!?!?!), but that's why I love the ROM'ing, rooting, and modding community. I would definitely buy again if I had to make the choice again, and I recommend (and show off :cool:) the phone to anyone who asks because the thing is a BEAST and I'm more than satisfied

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, but you have to know by now that voice signal and data speeds are hit or miss depending on where you live. Many owners like me, are having no problems whatsoever. But many are constantly dealing with signal headaches that lead to other problems like poor battery life, phone overheating etc. If you do end up buying it, give it a good signal workout around your city during the 14 day trial, and be ready to return it if it's not operating in a way that meets your expectations.

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the GPS signal issues I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I absolutely love this phone and am glad I bought it.

It's just very frustrating to not be able to rely on it when using my Nav application. At least when the GPS signal is not there, the app will show a map with the required route highlighted.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
But if XDA can port Android 4.0 ICS to this GS2, which I bet they will, since the Nexus-S 4G will be getting it, and the Prime is also a Samsung made device, I think the GS2 has a good shot at getting a port sooner than later ?
Port should come pretty fast thanks to are strong development community no worries there

jaguax

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Love it more now that I discovered aftermarket launchers.

Although two times now the phone has decided to stay awake despite the screen being off which has drained my battery exponentially.

No details on what's causing it other than "Android OS" :(

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Love it more now that I discovered aftermarket launchers.

Although two times now the phone has decided to stay awake despite the screen being off which has drained my battery exponentially.

No details on what's causing it other than "Android OS" :(

Probably a rogue app. My phone wakelocked once when I ignored a call after installing GoContacts/GoDialer. I'm not certain it was the culprit, but it happened shortly after I installed it, and hasn't happened since I uninstalled it. That's scientific enough for me to stay away from that app for now heh.

TheFishGuy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My service/signal sucks in my area (south jersey). I love the phone, coming from the Palm Pre, I'm overwhelmed with the amount of apps. I do miss the natural intuitive way webOS worked but I don't miss a lot of other things about that phone. The lack of signal sucks the life out of my battery in a few hours. When my signal is strong it can go all day. Unfortunately that's rarely the case. Even now I'm in my living room with 0 bars, if I step outside I have full signal. My Pre would have full service either way. Its even worse at work. I get the no smoking icon most of the day, or the yield icon because I'm roaming. My Pre would have full service there too. I usually have to recharge it least twice on an 8 hour shift because of the lack of signal.

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Luv it like no other! Still blazing fast as it was day one. I'd buy it all over again & pay more if I had to! Yea usually at this point your thinking of your previous device haven't thought twice best smartphone I ever used next to og SGS!

methoderik

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I still love it. I have had zero of the service/signal issues.

The only weird issues is the GPS location lock took a dive. When I first got the phone it was instant, now it takes 30 secs to a few minutes to lock. I almost wonder if I did something.

Great phone! Bought my wife the 4GS, and there was a little envy at first, but the E4GT is better all around.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely love it. Screen quality and ultra light weight sold me, and I couldn't be happier so far. A few minor gripes, but they're very minor.

I'd stil buy it again now.

It's a pretty safe bet the folks at xda will be able to get ICS on this soon enough. No reason to doubt their talent.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm enjoying my phone very much. The biggest disappointment for me has been the slow launch of quality cases. Not a big fan of the TPU cases everyone else loves and neither Otterbox or SGP have release cases yet.

As far as the signal issues, I have noticed that my WiFi signal is rarely at full strength at home, unless I'm within 15 feet of my router. However, I'd never had any problems actually connecting, I get good speeds and have never lost any calls. So not sure if it's an actual signal strength issue or a meter issue.

Otherwise, I haven't had any real issues with my phone (overheated once). It's still very fast. Love the screen. I really like TouchWiz, so I haven't had the need to mess w/ any launchers, I figure you can do that on any phone.

I've heard lots of stories about Samsung being slow on updates, so that will be the big test. If we get ICS in the near future, I'll be stoked!