Slide to Vibrate on Lock Screen?

hbcondo

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
On my friend's lg g2x from t-mobile running stock android froyo, his lock screen gives him the ability to slide between vibrate and ringing. Is it possible to get this same functionality on the lock screen of a Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch? It is really convenient to be able to switch between vibrate and ringing w/o having to unlock the phone.

Last edited:

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll add another vote for Widget Locker. I'm a huge fan of it as well. Below is one of my lock screens. I have now changed it around a bit, but it gives you an idea of what is available.

Reactions: hbcondo

hbcondo

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
i just tried the app simply lockscreen and it does give a slider on the lock menu to set the volume type. however, it is a little buggy (as the reviews indicate) and it doesn't allow me to use a security mechanism (i.e. pattern drawing) to unlock the phone.

widget locker looks great but to have a volume slider on the lock screen shouldn't require an app i feel, especially since froyo does this out of the box. is samsumg's ui the reason why this isn't available?

skeeve

May 25, 2010
Visit site
It's all about the 3rd party UI's. HTC Sense pre 3.0 also didn't include this feature. (Sense 3.0 is pretty excellent now). In general 3rd parties are starting to see the value of having functions accessibly without unlocking the phone. The new Droid Razr for instance lets you open the camera and take a picture without unlocking.

Unless you want to wait for the big boys to see the light and hope they decide to include the features you specifically want (granted vibrate is fairly standard) your best bet is a 3rd party. WidgetLocker is pretty amazing, in addition to adding all kinds of features, you can place any app or widget on your lock-screen. One of my favorite little things about it is if you download the same developer's LED flashlight app (Tesla LED) you can turn the light on and off from the lock screen without even opening an app! Unbelievably useful and highly unlikely to ever be seen from a manufacturer.

SirBC

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
A better question is why does this phone not have a hardware vibrate switch? I'm thinking back to all of the cell phones I've had over the years going back to 1998 and I can't think of a single one that didn't have a hardware switch of some sort to put it on vibrate.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You can press and hold the power button for about two seconds while on the default lock screen (or any other screen) and you get a pop up menu with option to toggle the ringer mode. Its not as convenient as sliding, but its still only one push-n-hold of power button more than sliding to toggle your ringer mode.

Evo4g

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You can press and hold the power button for about two seconds while on the default lock screen (or any other screen) and you get a pop up menu with option to toggle the ringer mode. Its not as convenient as sliding, but its still only one push-n-hold of power button more than sliding to toggle your ringer mode.

You can also pull down the notification bar and switch between vibrate and vibrate/sound.

hbcondo

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site

I didn't know this, thank you so much for mentioning it! Does what I need it to do w/o having to unlock the phone.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know this, thank you so much for mentioning it! Does what I need it to do w/o having to unlock the phone.

Just figured I would throw this out there, but in addition to Widget Locker that I noted above there is a widget that you can add to your home screen. "Silent Mode Widget". Lets you one click go between off, vibrate, and sound on. Very useful since I frequently flip mine off and on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21