get swype beta keyboard without rooting?

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Not without rooting because you have to uninstall the Swype that comes with the phone before it will let you install the Swype Beta. I recommend Starburst ROM, but rooted stock is fine, too. You just need to be able to use Titanium Backup to remove the stock Swype.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, you don't need a ROM to gain root, just a rooted kernel OR a stock kernel packaged with ClockWork Mod recovery so you can use it to flash the SuperUser ZIP that contains the .apk file.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
How do I do it?where to get it

I personally feel the cleanest and easiest way to gain root on the STOCK kernel is to use this:

[KERNEL][ODIN] Stock Pulled Repacked with CWM5

First you would use Odin to flash this file: http://chris41g.devphone.org/LoStKernel/StockCWM5.tar.md5

For instructions on how to use Odin, qbking has compiled some nice videos that will get you familiar with the process here: [ACS] [How to] Root, Clockworkmod, Flash Roms, Unroot, Tips (16 videos) 10/17/11 - xda-developers There is also an Odin guide for our phone here: [GUIDE] Using ODIN to flash your Epic 4G Touch (windows only) - xda-developers

Take your time and make sure you have a good handle on how to use Odin before you use it to flash a TAR file.

Once this is done, you will want to move this file http://www.multiupload.com/TD3X6TM9O1 over to your phone, then boot in CWM recovery and install that ZIP. qbking's videos also show some examples of working with CWM.

With this, you will end up with the stock kernel, with root and recovery. It will not wipe your data or settings. Once again, take your time and get a good understanding of the process. Rushing only leads to potentially bricking you phone.

Good luck!

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
this link is broken.... :-\

I fixed it with a different link. BUT, EVO_girl, you do not need to install this if you've already flashed a PRE-ROOTED kernel like Zedomax or LoStKernel. You only need to install SuperUser if you flash the stock pulled kernel only packaged with CWM, like I described above.

Zedomax and LoStKernel comes with everything (root and CWM).

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for explaining that Jay.. I think I have it all lined out now....

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma