Optimizing screen resolution

andro ID

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I was viewing a Google image search result with a friend who had an iPhone 4S. We both pulled up the same image and the sharpness of the image on the iPhone was night and day in comparison to my SG SII.

Is there a setting or adjustment that would bring it more in line to what I saw on the iPhone?

I know their screen has a higher resolutions spec but I thought the two devices were closer as all the reviewers were raving about the Super Amo Plus screen.

Not sure if it is also a function of screen size between the two.

SpaceDroid

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Sharpness hasnt been an issue for me or anyone whos seen the screen. Everyone is amazed by it particularily the vibrant colors. People wonder if its painted on. lol

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site
higher resolution plus smaller screen equals crisper or sharper looking images. While the GS2 will have more vibrant colors, the iPhone will look a little bit more sharp.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
My best suggestion is to laugh at your buddy who has a measly 3.5" screen on the iPhone. Suggest that he buys a "big boy" phone that has a nice sized screen.

All kidding aside, it is a beautifully sharp screen on the iPhone because the pixel density is so high.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a chance to be around an iphone 4 this weekend and I must say I prefer the lower res super amoled + screen. While it might not be as sharp as the iphone the colors are so much better and then add the size of the screen and it's all over.

This is the first phone that I feel can compete with the iPhone 4s screen. Even my EVO 3d qhd screen was no match for the iphone. Point being, resolution is not everything.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a chance to be around an iphone 4 this weekend and I must say I prefer the lower res super amoled + screen. While it might not be as sharp as the iphone the colors are so much better and then add the size of the screen and it's all over.

This is the first phone that I feel can compete with the iPhone 4s screen. Even my EVO 3d qhd screen was no match for the iphone. Point being, resolution is not everything.

Completely agree. I really like the color of the Super Amoled + screen. I actually found that I didn't like the qHD on my Photon as much as I thought. Trying to type was a problem since the buttons were a tad smaller. On top of that some of the programs wouldn't render properly either.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
E4GT = 206 ppi

iPhone 4 = 326 ppi

So there you have it. I still prefer the larger, more vibrant SAMOLED Plus screen however. Text is sharp enough for my eyes, and images look great to me. My wife has an iPhone 4S, and side by side, the screen on my E4GT wins in my opinion. The biggest weakness in SAMOLED Plus screens are the whites, mostly because it is necessary to turn brightness down to get reasonable battery life out of the display, which tends to fade whites to a greyish color. Other than that, well, I guess I've already said it heh.

Reactions: dm3ready

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Bob at Wirefly did a schmack down of the Epic 4G Touch vs. the iPhone 4s and he also prefered the Epic's screen to the iPhone's. If this were any other Android phone I would have laighed at him, but there is not doubt people can like the super amoled plus screen over the iPhones.

There is more to measure here then just how sharp a text word is. If it was just the text quality we were measuring the EVO 3D has sharper text then the Epic 4G touch but can you really compare the 2 screens? The Epic destroys that screen in every way...............

SpaceDroid

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
iphone 4S sharpness is not such a night and day comparison as some suggest. I prefer the Epics vivid screen coupled with its size as this makes up for the number of pixels the iphone 4 has. Side by side my brothers 4S seems dim with low contrast. Epics screen is much better im imo.
Sharpness become a moot point if no one complains about it. If sharpness were an issue it would stand out like a sore thumb.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I could care less about the resolution. I like to compare my Epic to my brothers 4S and it does not even seem right to compare that tiny screen to the huge screen on the Epic. Though our Epics might not have the best resolution, or "true" color representation, everyone seems to be very impressed with how vibrant the screen looks.
On the topic of iphone and epic comparison, I feel like the iphone is really dated. Don't get me wrong, it is a great little machine that provides a near perfect experience. But I cannot wait until they redesign that darn thing and put a bigger screen on it.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of screen resolution, if you haven't seen it yet, check out the video Cory posted here http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/130681-watch-drool.html

If there is anything that will get me to sell this phone and replace it with something else within my 2 year contract, it will be a SAMOLED HD display. In other words, I'll be watching Sprint's Galaxy Nexus and news of a Galaxy SIII pretty closely next year.

Until then, the E4GT straight up delivers the goods and I couldn't be happier right now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad