phone call is now being recorded

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
This is the second time this happened. I'm on a call and this time I couldn't have accidentally hit a button because my phone was sitting on a seat in my car. I voice came on and said something like this phone call is now being recorded. Anyone else ever experience this? The other person was on an iphone and it could have been on their end I guess. Does anyone know if its easy to accidentally do this on the iphone? Thanks

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it's the A.I. of Siri slowly getting smarter, and starting to record phone calls in it's master plan to destroy us from the inside out and take over the world. :p

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I think it's the A.I. of Siri slowly getting smarter, and starting to record phone calls in it's master plan to destroy us from the inside out and take over the world. :p

Very funny - but this did happen once before and it was before Siri. I just can't remember who I was talking to and if they had an iphone.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah sorry hehe. I guess it was my silly way of saying I have no idea. I've never had this happen, and my wife calls me from her iPhone all the time. I doubt that's it anyways. Maybe you have an app installed that is acting funny?

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah sorry hehe. I guess it was my silly way of saying I have no idea. I've never had this happen, and my wife calls me from her iPhone all the time. I doubt that's it anyways. Maybe you have an app installed that is acting funny?

I don't know man, it's freaky though.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I guess that "very funny" came of as sarcasm, but I really did think your response was funny. I'm not a big LOL guy

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
This is a feature of Google Voice. During a call, if you hit #4 then you can record the call.

Your response caused me to do some digging, I found this response from someone online:
"On incomming calls, if you press the number 4 on the phone's keypad, you can toggle Call Recording On or Off. Through testing, playing a sound of the 4 tone over the computer speakers, also set off Call Recording. Theoretically, if the human voice or another background noise picked up by the phone manages to emit a tone or sound of the same frequency, it could set off the Call Recording feature."

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
So apparently when I talk I sound like the number 4 tone! It's funny because I have had voicemails cut me off in the past when leaving a message becuase of this. Anyhoo, I found the call recording in google voice on my desktop so mystery solved

"Talk-Off, or Talkoff, is the term that describes when a human voice is able to trigger touch tones, or DTMF tones during a telephone call. Talk-Off occurs when a signal processing system tries to translate sounds into to touch tones. Some people's voices are able to recreate touch tones frequently relative to the general population.

Talk-Off is possible as human voices speak in the same frequencies as DTMF combinations. Unlike real touch tones generated using telephone keypads, human-voice created touch tones are not sustainable and can generally be isolated by algorithms created to determine true DTMF. However, occasionally a speech signal will momentarily contain strong frequencies in just the right frequency bands which then occur as DTMF sounds."

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hahahaha that is hilarious! The fact that you've had voice mails cut off on you in the past is even funnier, because it probably took this event for you to make the connection. At the time, you were probably thinking "what the hell??? stupid buggy voice mail system" Ahhhh it's always fun to find out new things about yourself eh? :p

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hahahaha that is hilarious! The fact that you've had voice mails cut off on you in the past is even funnier, because it probably took this event for you to make the connection. At the time, you were probably thinking "what the hell??? stupid buggy voice mail system" Ahhhh it's always fun to find out new things about yourself eh? :p

So true. One time I couldn't get past "Hey, John," or whoever it was and it kept stopping asking if I was finished. I cursed it put quite a bit. It happens every now and then but that one time it was exceptionally annoying.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Do you mean your voice never changed when you enter puberty?

Ok, I'm just trying to be funny here, but I read this whole thread and found it very interesting and informative.

I'm reading the Steve Jobs book (not really a fan) and it's funny that Steve Jobs and Steve Woznick actually got started because Steve Woznick created the famous 'blue box' (or is it 'black box') to be able to make long distance calls. Back in the early seventy's it was a real big deal to get a free long distance call. Steve Jobs was the one who said, let's go into business and sell these boxes. And hence, the creation of Apple! This is true!

So having just read your thread and issue, it's ironic that I'm reading this stuff in the Steve Jobs book. But they never mentioned that a human voice had the ability to do that same!

I do remember as a teenage (which I'm definitely not now), blowing into the receiver a variety of high pitched sounds and it did cause some issues but nothing usable. Just some computer noises trying to figure it out.

I wonder if doing it today would do the same thing. But I certainly would not chance it on my cellphone but would on my landline.

Thanks for the great reading!

Rob

briandflood

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me twice yesterday. Can't have clients thinking I'm recording them! Great tip on this being a Google Voice issue. I just went to Google Voice and turned off voice recording. Go to Google Voice, Click on gear icon, Settings, Calls tab, and uncheck the box next to Call Options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome