How to swap or end just one call while another call is on hold?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
So lets say I am on a call, and another call comes in and I take that. Or I initiate a new call while first call is still going on. What it does is that it puts the first call on hold. How do I swap back and forth between calls at this point? I saw a merge button on call screen, but no swap button.

Also, if I want to end one of these two calls, and I press the end key, it hangs up both calls. How do I hang up just one call?

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to swap or end just one call while another call is on hol

I am all ears too? Also, if I pick up the new call and then want to hang up on the original call? Hope we get the answers to both?

strudeau

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site

think it has to do with the way cdma network handles calls...all my other sprint phones did the same...to end the other call, just let the other person hangup and your end will timeout, leaving you just the 2nd call.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Try swiping down the notification bar when this presents itself again. You may be able to hang up on one call there

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Yea I think your right, all gsm phones I did this with no problem. Then I switched to cdma & all of a sudden "end one" "talk to one" disappeared... It was all so simple before, a button to separate calls & one to choose the end of either...

Is there an app for this?

charles06

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site

Please don't let this thread die. I am looking for the answer here. If this is a CDMA issue, let Sprint or Samsung verify this.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site

It's a CDMA thing, like not being about to do talk and data simultaneously.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

This is an issue with the CDMA network, not this phone. Every CDMA phone acts the same way unfortunately.

pa4ul

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

when the new caller hangs up my phone has swap calls a little below the two boxes of callers. I just push swap and it takes me to the original caller.

MattN03

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I always wondered this too...So why are some carriers using CDMA and others GSM technologies? I miss the call + data when I had AT&T, but I LOVE my unlimited data & better coverage in my area with Sprint!

Tha K.O.G.

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So lets say I am on a call, and another call comes in and I take that. Or I initiate a new call while first call is still going on. What it does is that it puts the first call on hold. How do I swap back and forth between calls at this point? I saw a merge button on call screen, but no swap button.

Also, if I want to end one of these two calls, and I press the end key, it hangs up both calls. How do I hang up just one call?

I believe you are not getting the option to swap over to the other caller is because you are initiating the second call so it should only give you the option to merge but if someone calls you while you are already on a call it should allow you to swap over. As far as the issue goes with trying to hang up just one call and stay connected to the other line is a CDMA issue and the only way to do that is to ask the other person to hang up and then it will automatically connect you to the other person and it will still display both numbers on your screen but you will only be on the line with one person and it will still allow you to receive other incoming calls.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
The KOG is correct.
Here is the way I deal with it:
You can only MERGE if you make both outgoing calls. (I don't believe you can merge more than 2 calls...on GSM I think I could do up to 5 calls.)
You can SWAP when one of the calls is incoming.
This probably won't change until Verizon and Sprint move to Voice over LTE.

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I messed around with today on my Nexus 4 (GSM obviously) and found the solution.

1. If you are on a call and another comes in and you swap to it, then hang up with the second caller and can't get audio back to the initial call, that means the second caller hung up before you can switch. All you have to do is get rid of the blue line underneath the two vertical lines which is the universal symbol for PAUSE. Once you tap the pause icon, which is located at the bottom of call screen, directly next to the right of the mute icon, the horizontal blue line will go away and you can then hear your original caller.

2. If the second caller has not hung up yet, then all you have to do is tap the circular icon that has 2 arrows and that will swap back to the initial call.

3. Now, as far as the merge calls problem when you have two calls going at the same time and you want to swap to just one call, tap the MANAGE CONFERENCE icon which is right above the end calls icon, and that will the bring up another screen asking which call you want to swap to.

I hope this helps. I'm not sure about CDMA phones and the layout on your screens. Also, this is the Nexus 4 I'm describing. So, let me know what's up with this description please. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ken Seehart

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ditto. This is quite mind boggling. The user interface design for handing multiple calls and placing people on hold has been in every business office since the 70s. It's not rocket science.

The current design, where the "end call" button disconnects both calls is obviously a bug because nobody could possibly have been careless enough to design it that way on purpose. The correct behavior would be to end only the current call, and resume the call that was on hold.

How could this have gotten past both a design review and product testing?

- Ken

Last edited:

waynesanderson1

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Nice jab I know, but this works on the iPhone. Steve Jobs forces the cell phone companies to make his introduction into the smartphone business years ago success. He did so by forcing them to comply with correct handling of swapping, and conferencing. Come on Google. Your big and forceful like Steve, fix this! :)

RoyallyGood

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey, so it's 2015 - this moronic problem still exists. Has anybody found a solution? Was just on hold with the IRS for 45 minutes, someone called, so I took it, and allowed them to hang up. Then it returned to my 1st call (IRS), but said it was "on hold" and there was no button or ability to take it off of hold. Just totally screwed, wasted my entire morning.

This is probably the most elementary function of all time. The smart phone should be called the mini-computer that sucks at being a phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech