Cell Signal Strength? ET4G vs EVO vs Nexus S vs Photon

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone come to the E4GT from the EVO4G / Nexus S 4G / Photon 4G?

I've had all 3 and was extremely displeased with the Nexus S 4G cell strength.

I'd love to hear comparisons in cell strength to your old EVO4G / Nexus S 4G / Photon 4G phone.

Thanks!

joe.stay

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
My friend has an Evo4G and when we compared it side by side to the epic touch, we found that the 3G data was better on the epic touch. The 4G data and signal was also better on the epic touch. This was side by side comparison indoor. For 4G, mine was able to connect more time that my friends evo 4g.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have messed with a few photons before, and while they usually show more bars, they are not really faster as far as data speeds go. Sometimes it's more of a psychologica thing, you see more bars, you think your internet is faster and the call sounds better.

Been happy with my Epic 4G Touch.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
My friend has an Evo4G and when we compared it side by side to the epic touch, we found that the 3G data was better on the epic touch. The 4G data and signal was also better on the epic touch. This was side by side comparison indoor. For 4G, mine was able to connect more time that my friends evo 4g.

With my Evo I barely got 4G signal here at home. If I was able to connect, it would only stay connected for a few minutes and go back to 3G. With the E4GT, it connects to 4G almost instantly and stays connected. So many people complained about Sprint's 4G service in the Evo forums, but it seems that the problem may have been the phone. It's been a night and day difference with the E4GT.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus S and the SG2 factually have inferior antennas to Moto and HTC. The SG2 has the same raido that the Nexus S has.. Just search around on many many many forums and you will see that the SG2 has MAJOR issues with reception. Of course some will say that they have the "best on any phone" but i'd go with the majority on this one. Just google it and you will see for yourself.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung definitely has weaker reception for whatever reason. This phone is no where near as bad as the Nexus S though. Even My EVO 3D felt slightly weaker than the EVO4G. So I am really wondering if it is a hardware issue or Sprint issue, combo of both. I do not know what to make of it.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a Photon for just shy of a month. In terms of visualized signal strength, I agree with one of the earlier posts that you will get more with the Photon. I have found that the phone generally roams in the same places my Photon roamed, and I have not experienced LOS or dropped calls with either device. Not that it was mentioned but I would say the call quality in the Photon is a little better but not enough to make me change my mind.

Overall I felt that the data was VERY slow moving through the Photon. Not sure if its hardware or software based but I become frustrated at the speed simple pages would load. I believe the biggest differentiating factor is the ping time. I noticed with the Epic it was 15-25% faster when running Speedtests.The bandwidth was simliar, but the ping times were definitely better.