Does anyone use Samsung Kies?

Foulwx

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Only had my phone about three weeks, but I keep reading about Kies. What does that program do? Must I go to the Samsung website to get it? Do I need to download drivers?

I've already connected my phone to my PC without difficulty, and copied some files back and forth to my SDcard. Does this mean I already have the drivers installed?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I wanted to understand it before I added another bunch of crapware to my PC.

Thanks,

bri637

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I used it once last week just to see what it was. Basically when you start the Kies app on the phone, it gives you an IP address to type into the browser on your computer, then you can stream music, look at pictures and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. Both have to be on the same wi-fi network and if I recall, there wasn't any software to download on my laptop. Hope this helps.

Foulwx

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, you reminded me I did the same thing when I first got the phone and was trying everything out. I wonder what the PC software would do though....

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Think of the software version of Kies as what iTunes is to the iPhone. It basically allows you to set up auto syncs and backups when you plug your phone into your PC.

kylo1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
its a great app if you want to transfer music,contacts,pictures or almost anything else to your computer from your phone.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
One of the coolest things it does is automatically converts the videos you shot with your phone to mp4 format when you download them to your pc. Then you can view it in almost any video player. I transfer them to my Tivo and can watch them on my TV without using any other video conversion software. Kies does the conversion for you.

There's 2 versions. The Kies Air (already on newer Samsung phones) needs no software on the pc or you can download the Kies software to your computer. The pc software has a few features not available on the wireless version.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
There are some sync features you can only do with the software installed on your pc and your phone plugged in. I could be wrong but I believe syncing your Outlook contacts is one of them. Search the forums for other threads on Kies.
I installed the software on my pc and had problems with it. My hardrive started making strange noises so I uninstalled it, but it left behind the drivers so I can plug my phone in and move files on and off my phone manually. You can install just the drivers if you want as well without the Kies software.

louie2701

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I put in the Kies IP address in the url box, it goes to a different page telling me that the page is not found. i have tried it several times. Is it something with my browser settings?

MaldonaF

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I put in the Kies IP address in the url box, it goes to a different page telling me that the page is not found. i have tried it several times. Is it something with my browser settings?

And are you sure you are logged onto the same Wi-Fi network? (like a previous poster explained, thanks :)

Last edited:

mrcminnesota

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Question about exporting video files to PC using Kies software. I have tried both Kies Air and desktop Kies (USB). I am not able to get "sound" on the videos when I play them on the PC (there is sound on the phone).
I have Windows 7 32 bit/Home Premium and Windows Media Player 12. I have seen where it references Windows Media Player 10 but the latest version is 12. Could that be the problem?
Also, how else to transfer the videos so I can hear the sound on the PC? Thanks

d_j_m

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The big difference between iTunes and Kies is that iTunes works. It synchronises outlook with the phone quickly and accurately and you can stop the sync in the middle without having to reboot your phone. Kies, on the other hand, takes over an hour to do a full sync and you have to reboot the phone if you stop the sync part way through. If I had known how bad Kies was, I would have bought an iPhone.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

You must be on the same connection network and check for any typo errors.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DEADF15H

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I use it to Sync and Back Up to my PC, Contacts from my phone to Outlook, Calendar, and installed applications. I do it through the USB port, takes about 15 minutes using the full version. I don't use the OTA, as it's always going to take longer than a wired data transfer.
I found it very intuitive to set up. Coming from a Berry, I was initially disappionted I had to purchase, download and setup the program, as the Berry was seamless.
I'm not that technically inclined, so I would have to say, it was a fairly simple process for my ATT Note2. :D

DroidTravis

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello out there. I have a question and it may be stupid. I just threw away everything apple. I now have the new Samsung all in 1, Samsung Smart Tv, Samsung Note 3 and will pick up the Note 10.1 today. My question is movies. Are these classified as videos. They only refer to the videos on phones. I want to be able to move videos around on all my devices. So I can watch them when I travel or on My Big TV at home instead of sitting in front of the computer. Will Kies provide this solution?