Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Contacts gone wild

I just moved over from Palm Pre and am really loving the Galaxy (what I am calling this wonderful phone with the way too long name). Am moving in and learning Android and one thing that is causing me a bit of stress is my contacts.

There are SO many of them (5,879). Everyone I have ever emailed is in there from my Gmail account. Even people who were cc'd on emails that I responded to. (Ack!) There are duplicates all over the place. Sometimes 3 or 4. I'm slowing getting my Groups and Favorites going, but all these contacts are freaking me out.

I have installed GO Contacts and see there is a Merge option, but I am nervous to use it. Does it work?

Are there any other contact apps I should consider? Any advice about dealing with contacts?

Thanks.

Default Re: Contacts gone wild

bump! Similar issues here, although not quite as bad in terms of number of contacts.. and I'malso a former Pre user.

goto contacts.google.com and clean it up. sign in w/ the account your phone is syncronized to.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks cgalleria93. I did find tons of duplicates using the Google Contacts feature and can do some Group setting up in here that is so much easier than doing it on my phone. Great tip.

Also, want to report that I have switched to Contapps for my contacts app. I edited a setting to only show contacts that have a phone number. That cuts out quite a few from showing up. And I set up my Favorites and that makes using my contacts a lot easier.

Still trying to figure out why it doesn't show all my Facebook friends' photos on their contact. It does for some contacts but not all of them.

You can also use the Stock contact settings to only show those with a phone number. Contacts - Menu - More - Display Options - check "only contacts with phone"
    Thanked by: