Car Dock

wburbage

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I just went to the AT&T store and picked up the car and desktop docks that fit the AT&T Infuse (works with the Epic 4G Touch) for a grand total of $18.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Does this have audio line-out for connecting to a car's AUX port? And does anyone know if the Samsung car dock app has been updated for the Galaxy S II line?

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Does this have audio line-out for connecting to a car's AUX port? And does anyone know if the Samsung car dock app has been updated for the Galaxy S II line?

yes it sends the audio through the USB port on the bottom of the phone to a standard headphone jack port on the back of the car dock. The dock app is the Vlingo Voice talk in car app. Not a big fan of the dock app but it works. I usually just close it.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't use Vlingo Voice Talk either. I rooted my phone and froze it with Titanium Backup so it doesn't launch when I plug my phone into the dock. Search the Market for Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector. It's a third party app that works with both the desktop dock and the car dock.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
yes it sends the audio through the USB port on the bottom of the phone to a standard headphone jack port on the back of the car dock. The dock app is the Vlingo Voice talk in car app. Not a big fan of the dock app but it works. I usually just close it.

Huh. So, no more Samsung car dock app (which I hated on the Epic 4G)? Interesting. Is this the same as the Vlingo Virtual Assistant app in the Market, or a special version?

I ask because I have a chance to switch to an ET4G from my Photon, and one of the things holding me back (other than that I do really like the Photon) is that the Photon's car dock is awesome.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Its almost identical to the Virtual Assistant app, but it doesn't have safe reader mode. The factory one will tell you that you have a email or text and who's calling but it wont read the email or text out loud word for word. I actually prefer the Virtual Assistant app to the default car dock.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Another question about the dock (I'm leaning toward the Epic Touch over the Photon, and the car dock might be the deciding factor): is there any static/interference when the docked phone is plugged into the car's AUX port and no music is playing? One of the worst thing about the Epic 4G dock was that there was significant line noise during silent moments, enough so that I had to turn my car's volume down when nothing was playing.

Not only does the Photon dock app work extremely well, but there's absolutely no line noise.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Another question about the dock (I'm leaning toward the Epic Touch over the Photon, and the car dock might be the deciding factor): is there any static/interference when the docked phone is plugged into the car's AUX port and no music is playing? One of the worst thing about the Epic 4G dock was that there was significant line noise during silent moments, enough so that I had to turn my car's volume down when nothing was playing.

Not only does the Photon dock app work extremely well, but there's absolutely no line noise.

I'm using the Samsung Infuse Dock (I didn't wait for the Epic Touch dock to be released) and I can say I do experience some static when charging in the car dock. If I unplug the usb cable it goes away. It does the same without the dock and just the car charger and a head phone jack though so In my case it could just be the cheap car charger I'm using.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I use a good quality Motorola charger and don't hear any background static using the Infuse dock. The longer cord is helpful, too. (It's the one Cory Streater recommended from Amazon)

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I just picked up my "$18 Buck Bundle" at AT&T today... Loved the reaction of all the store staff when the two docks rang up for a total of $18 bucks! :cool:

As stated in another post... I think the key to eliminating line noise is using a good quality Car Charger. Since the Car Dock did not come with one, I simply used the Palm Pre Car Charger I purchased for my Touchstone, which is very high quality. I am a real stickler for any line noise and/or interference, and I have yet to experience any with this configuration, while playing music, navigating, or dead silent. Therefore, I recommend you invest in a solid, brand name, well-constructed Car Charger, and you should be good to go with the new Car Dock.

As a side note... I've seen a number of people posting that the Infuse Desk Dock is too tight for the Epic 4G Touch, which concerned me. However, while it is snug, I'm finding docking and undocking the phone from the Desk dock to be quite smooth and effortless.

This bundle is a STEAL for $18 bucks! If you have a Sprint Epic 4G Touch, don't hesitate to go pick one up at your local AT&T store today... and enjoy the bonus of their shocked faces when they have to ring up this killler deal... and then top it off by telling them "I don't have an AT&T account" when they ask... Priceless! :cool:

Reactions: wynand32

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'll probably use my old Palm Pre charger as well.

I wonder if the combo will still be available tomorrow (Monday). If so, I should probably cancel my Samsung dock order and get this one.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, I got the Samsung dock, and as much as I like the E4GT, the dock is terrible. Here's my experience:

1. There's a ton of line noise when the phone is docked but nothing is playing, just like with the Epic. I'm using the OEM charger, but that's not the problem--using the same charger, the Photon's car dock is absolutely silent. Samsung must be using some cheap electronics in this thing, and it's simply horrible. (Sorry for venting, but seriously...)

2. The software isn't nearly as seamless as the Photon's either. First, on the Photon, when you dock an app starts that essentially takes over the home button. That means you can move back and forth between the app and the home screens easily. On the Samsung, it seems like once you leave the Vlingo app to, say start a radio streaming app, you can't get back to the dock mode. At least, not without unplugging/replugging the dock connector, but that's extra wear and tear. If I'm wrong about this, please let me know.

Then, the Photon app allows for 4 custom apps to be assigned. That provides a great deal of flexibility, and again it's easy to go from one app to another and then back to dock mode.

Overall, the Samsung car dock experience is nowhere near the Photon's. Motorola really did a great job with this, and Samsung makes it look like they gave actually using the phone in the car zero thought.

What's everyone else doing to make this experience more usable? I'm still choosing between the Photon and the E4GT, and the car dock definitely is a mark in the Photon's favor.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
The OEM version of the car dock does come with the OEM car charger.

So with that $49 charge from Samsung you are getting the correct car dock for this Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch and the correct car charger.

Unlike the $18 deal from AT&T the dock fits correctly into the dock. I also have the $18 version and it does not fit as good as the OEM version which I have.

The $18 version did not come with the car charger.

I've never tested the audio output of the $18 version with the car's audio system.

I personal use an old tape cassette adapter to connect to my older car's audio system and I have perfect sounding audio no static or hissing.

Rob

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC