- 11-21-2011, 01:31 PM #2
- 11-21-2011, 02:43 PM #3
- 11-21-2011, 03:12 PM #4
- 11-21-2011, 11:06 PM #5
- 11-22-2011, 12:29 PM #6
Re: Car Dock
I ask because I have a chance to switch to an ET4G from my Photon, and one of the things holding me back (other than that I do really like the Photon) is that the Photon's car dock is awesome.
- 11-22-2011, 03:36 PM #7
Its almost identical to the Virtual Assistant app, but it doesn't have safe reader mode. The factory one will tell you that you have a email or text and who's calling but it wont read the email or text out loud word for word. I actually prefer the Virtual Assistant app to the default car dock.
- 11-25-2011, 07:50 PM #8
Re: Car Dock
Another question about the dock (I'm leaning toward the Epic Touch over the Photon, and the car dock might be the deciding factor): is there any static/interference when the docked phone is plugged into the car's AUX port and no music is playing? One of the worst thing about the Epic 4G dock was that there was significant line noise during silent moments, enough so that I had to turn my car's volume down when nothing was playing.
Not only does the Photon dock app work extremely well, but there's absolutely no line noise.
- 11-26-2011, 02:31 AM #9
Re: Car Dock
- 11-26-2011, 02:04 PM #10
- 11-26-2011, 05:50 PM #11
- 99 Posts
Re: Car Dock
As stated in another post... I think the key to eliminating line noise is using a good quality Car Charger. Since the Car Dock did not come with one, I simply used the Palm Pre Car Charger I purchased for my Touchstone, which is very high quality. I am a real stickler for any line noise and/or interference, and I have yet to experience any with this configuration, while playing music, navigating, or dead silent. Therefore, I recommend you invest in a solid, brand name, well-constructed Car Charger, and you should be good to go with the new Car Dock.
As a side note... I've seen a number of people posting that the Infuse Desk Dock is too tight for the Epic 4G Touch, which concerned me. However, while it is snug, I'm finding docking and undocking the phone from the Desk dock to be quite smooth and effortless.
This bundle is a STEAL for $18 bucks! If you have a Sprint Epic 4G Touch, don't hesitate to go pick one up at your local AT&T store today... and enjoy the bonus of their shocked faces when they have to ring up this killler deal... and then top it off by telling them "I don't have an AT&T account" when they ask... Priceless!
- 11-28-2011, 12:14 AM #12
- 12-01-2011, 05:40 PM #13
Re: Car Dock
Well, I got the Samsung dock, and as much as I like the E4GT, the dock is terrible. Here's my experience:
1. There's a ton of line noise when the phone is docked but nothing is playing, just like with the Epic. I'm using the OEM charger, but that's not the problem--using the same charger, the Photon's car dock is absolutely silent. Samsung must be using some cheap electronics in this thing, and it's simply horrible. (Sorry for venting, but seriously...)
2. The software isn't nearly as seamless as the Photon's either. First, on the Photon, when you dock an app starts that essentially takes over the home button. That means you can move back and forth between the app and the home screens easily. On the Samsung, it seems like once you leave the Vlingo app to, say start a radio streaming app, you can't get back to the dock mode. At least, not without unplugging/replugging the dock connector, but that's extra wear and tear. If I'm wrong about this, please let me know.
Then, the Photon app allows for 4 custom apps to be assigned. That provides a great deal of flexibility, and again it's easy to go from one app to another and then back to dock mode.
Overall, the Samsung car dock experience is nowhere near the Photon's. Motorola really did a great job with this, and Samsung makes it look like they gave actually using the phone in the car zero thought.
What's everyone else doing to make this experience more usable? I'm still choosing between the Photon and the E4GT, and the car dock definitely is a mark in the Photon's favor.
- 12-02-2011, 09:07 PM #14Samsung - SPH-D710
- 265 Posts
The OEM version of the car dock does come with the OEM car charger.
So with that $49 charge from Samsung you are getting the correct car dock for this Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch and the correct car charger.
Unlike the $18 deal from AT&T the dock fits correctly into the dock. I also have the $18 version and it does not fit as good as the OEM version which I have.
The $18 version did not come with the car charger.
I've never tested the audio output of the $18 version with the car's audio system.
I personal use an old tape cassette adapter to connect to my older car's audio system and I have perfect sounding audio no static or hissing.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk[SIZE="2"]Robert L Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
- Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch! (SPH-D7110)
- Asus TF300T
- Nexus 7
- Previously WebOS Palm Pre (Sprint)