Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JayWill
  • 1 Post By dguidry12
  • 1 Post By JayWill
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rumormill - Update to address LOS and other issues coming soon

It's obviously unofficial, but for those of you who don't frequent the XDA forums, our phone should be receiving it's first maintenance update sometime next month (December). This update is supposed to address the LOS bug, among other things like wifi fixes and resource leaks, and will also upgrade Gingerbread to 2.3.6. This lines up with the little nuggets of unofficial information that has been floating around since last month. The update is currently undergoing testing.

LOS was happening when your phone would transition from 4G to 3G or 3G to 2G while the phone was sending packets and during a tower change. The phone continues to try to communicate with the old tower, and when it can't it gives up and shuts the radio down resulting in the circle with a line and "no service". Thus the LOS bug.

The real juice here is this update now exists on at least one owner's (non-tester's) phone, which is where I got the info about 2.3.6. Depending on how things go, the development community may get their hands on this build soon for those who are rooted. Otherwise, hopefully non-rooted owners don't have too much longer to wait.

All in all this is welcome news! Stay tuned!
    Thanked by 4:
    dragonol2 likes this.

Default Re: Rumormill - Update to address LOS and other issues coming soo

Thank you for updating us non-XDA people

ROM
    Stock (for now)

This is great news. I finally had my first LOS the other day after a phone call. Good thing I read the forums and just quickly rebooted.

Quick question - should I root before this update hits? I haven't rooted yet, but plan on it (sheer laziness). When I do (with the automatic root method), I will mainly be keep it stock (kernal and rom, but will look at other roms). I'm assuming that a developer will release the rooted updated-stock rom when the update hits so there's no reason not to root before this?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by repinphilly247 View Post
    This is great news. I finally had my first LOS the other day after a phone call. Good thing I read the forums and just quickly rebooted.

Quick question - should I root before this update hits? I haven't rooted yet, but plan on it (sheer laziness). When I do (with the automatic root method), I will mainly be keep it stock (kernal and rom, but will look at other roms). I'm assuming that a developer will release the rooted updated-stock rom when the update hits so there's no reason not to root before this?
    Yeah no reason to wait, but you could if you want a simple over the air download and install. Yes developers will have a kernel and ROM out based on the new source very quickly. In fact, it may be out BEFORE the update if they can get it off this guys' phone hehe.

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    ROM
    StarBurst ROM-LoStKernel

Sorry for the corny pun, but this is truly EPIC awesome news... I'm so sick of the LOS issues, I can't even begin to describe.

I've tried the various LOS fixing kernals with moderate to good success, and I'm also running a great script that cuts down on LOS instances, but a full proof "fix" from the mothership will do us all some good. Can't wait till the ROM makers and developers get their hands on this for all of us rooted users out there. THANKS for the news JayWill!!!
    "Its only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything"

Tyler Durden

HTC Touch --> Samsung Instinct --> HTC Touch Pro --> Palm Pre --> Epic 4G

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

OMG, dguidry12 will be so happy, hang in there buddy a fix is on the way.

It's strange. I have 4G on and I haven't received my GMail or AOL mail for a while. The thing is though I don't have the circle with a line through it that many people with LOS complain about. Does anybody know what the problem can be? I check on my computer and find emails that aren't on the phone! Then I change from 4G to wireless and they'll come. The same happens when I"m on wireless for a while (have to switch to 4G).
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Jerry covered this on the main blog page here http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...-bugs#comments for those who want more information and/or the link to the thread at XDA. Also, a group of devs have kingsway on IRC right now and are helping him pull the files as I type this.

ROM
    Zedomax OC 1.6 Ghz

What IRC channel?

Well I hope this does fix the problem..But if it doesn't fix the issue and provide for a better signal experience it basically would narrow down to Samsung has cheated its customers by knowingly using a cheap and faulty antenna. The reason I say "knowingly" is because the Nexus S had the same issues and Samsung as usual never even fixed it. If the problem is not addressed we should all DEMAND a refund directly from Samsung.

Oh yeah and what about the dreaded OS bug? ALL of their crappy phones have that!
    Quietkvj#AC likes this.

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Is there a way to block trolls from the forum view? This one guy can't stop emptying his diaper in here. Thanks.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Ok so this has basically confirmed what I uncovered about the fault product in the beginning. They call me a troll but im standing up for my consumer rights..lol

It's not that we mind you standing up for any of your rights. It's the simple fact that you just keep repeating yourself. Your preaching to the choir here bud.

Let it go until further advances have been made. Interject something positive to the forum if you can or just sit back and read.
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    It's not that we mind you standing up for any of your rights. It's the simple fact that you just keep repeating yourself. Your preaching to the choir here bud.

Let it go until further advances have been made. Interject something positive to the forum if you can or just sit back and read.
    This.

We've heard you loud and clear dguidry, and most of us are tired of it. You may figure this out at some point, but most of those who were unsatisfied with the phone and/or Sprint have returned it, sold it, or in one way or another realized that the product and/or service did not work for them and have moved on. The rest of us still here, have had an excellent experience with our phones and service for a variety of reasons and are completely happy. For some reason you seem incapable of doing this, and feel the need to continue to beat a dead horse for some self perceived greater good.

So, please, give it a rest. Take your fight elsewhere. This is a support and enthusiast forum, not a battleground to fight for your rights as a consumer. Please try to understand that so you can focus your energy where you may actually achieve some positive results for yourself.
    JohnC#AC likes this.

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts

This is great news!

My phone has settled down a bit the past couple days, but was getting WAY too many LoS instances. (Huge thanks to JayWill for helping on the way.)

And well said in response to dguidry. I'm (probably) paraphrasing here, but if you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Stop complaining.