Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By nassah110
  • 1 Post By aquaholik
  • 1 Post By MannyZ28
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New user, new phone, new to android and Sprint

Hello everyone,

Found out today that I will be the new owner of GS2 starting Monday! I'm coming to Sprint from Verizon and this will be my first experience with an Android device (been on a blackberry tour for the past 2 years).

I just found this site, and I am going to be doing some research for things I can do with my new phone, but I just wanted to ask for any recommendations you all have for a new Android user and Sprint customer. Best browser, apps, games, whatever information would be awesome!

Thanks to everyone and I'm happy to be joining the Android community!

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Default Re: New user, new phone, new to android and Sprint

The stickies at the top are what I started out with to get a basic understanding before I started to customize the phone.

Best browser is probably Dolphin HD with tab browsing. As for apps, tiny led flashlight is very useful, HD wallpaper will let you browse and write text on your wallpaper(example: reward if found : your phone number) No Lock Screen and Screen On is useful if you are driving and needs the screen on when you are charging and playing music. The built in Google Navigation is pretty good and Telenav is OK. Out of the box, with a little customization of widgets, the phone should satisfy 90% of the users out there. I like Touch Calendar app and smooth calendar widget set to sync with Google calendar.

Set up your contact on your gmail account and it will back it up for you if you sync it once in a while. Swype is fun if you are coming from a physical keyboard. I have not finished customizing the phone and I have it for 2 months already.
    MikeNYC#AC likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the tips! I really look forward to playing around with it.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I agree with the YouTube statement, tons of great review and comparison videos out there.

The built in browser is pretty good, I have not found the need to replace it yet.

I didn't like the rather bland text messaging app and switched to Handcent SMS, great app, with tons of customization features to make it look they way you want it to. There are also a bunch of free themes available for it in the market, and its' free.

I use Widget Locker to replace the rather boring lock screen that comes with the phone, It costs some money (3 or 4 bucks), but if you like to tinker, it's well worth it. You can put as many sliders as you want on your lockscreen, add widgets, clutter it all up or make it clean, the choice is yours. I personally use the ICS lockscreen option with it and have 4 shortcuts straight to the phone app, handcent SMS, the camera, and basic unlock. Very clean, very useful. Go Locker is a free alternative, but if I am not mistaken it has to be used with Go Launcher, a program that also is highly customizable and replaces the main functions of Touchwhiz.

Swiftkey X for the keyboard. Unfortunately you missed the 10 cent sale, but I find this keyboard to be worth every dollar it costs. It learns the way you type and predicts your next word to the point that it is almost spooky. It also has different themes, multiple language support (I can type one word in english and the next in german and it knows the difference, no need to switch first for it to know which language you type in), and is also very customizable in the way it uses word prediction and automatic completion. Want cursor keys to be able to edit your text better? that's included as well.

ADW Launcher EX. Great replacement for Touchwhiz. Highly customizable. It will take you hours to go through all the settings, but you will be able to set up your phone exactly as you like. The amount of adjustments you can make is almost mind boggeling. No need for a tutorial, it's simple enough and the changes you make are applied immidiately, it's just a matter of going through all the menus and playing with it. Lots of premade free themes are also available.

If you have Facebook, don't let it sync your contacts, let the Samsung Social hub with facebook do that. This way you get higher quality caller id pictures. Also, as stated above, be sure to sync all your contacts with Gmail. Hopefully you can export your current contact list from the Blackberry desktop software into a CSV file and from there import them to Gmail into your computer. Use this time to clean things up a bit, and as soon as you log in with your gmail account on your phone, everybody will be there. Whem merging/joining contacts between Gmail and Facebook, sometimes it doesn't find a match for certain people, but you have the option to do the matching manually.

As for games....there are lots. Some of my favorites:

Air Attach HD
    All 3 Angry Birds
    Asphalt 6 HD
    Bejeweled 2
    Blood and Glory
    Doodle Fit
    Emissary of War
    Fieldrunners
    Flight Control
    Fruit Ninja
    Great Little War Game
    Guerilla Bob
    Hex Defense
    Jelly Defense
    Jenga
    Labyrinth
    Minecraft
    Mini Squadron
    NFS Shift
    Peggle
    Pinball Ride
    Plants vs Zombies (has crashing issues)
    Reckless Getaway
    Reckless Racing
    Samurai II Vengeance
    Shadowgun (Oh yeah...like Gears of War)
    Sprinkle
    Tetris (crashing issues)
    Trial X
    Warheads
    Word with Friends
    World of Goo

Just to name a few...and yes...all that is installed on my phone. :-)

That's the basics, hope it helps.
    MikeNYC#AC likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Wow! You guys rock!

Already exported my contacts and I am going to clean them up and then upload them to my gmail before I get the phone. I will probably spend the rest of today and tomorrow on Youtube watching all sorts of videos.

Thanks again!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

On a side note. As this is my first Android device, is it recommended to stick with the stock ROM at first, or dive right into some of the custom ones?

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Stick with the stock rom and make sure you get the 2.3.6 update that sprint is pushing out first before messing around. Not to mention that you should get used to the interface and how things work before you start going into the innards of the phone.

Good choice mate!

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I agree. I am on the stock rom, and honestly, I see no reason to root....yet.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

OH, and add Backstab to that list. It's 10 cents today and today only...oh wait....you don't have the phone yet...hm... maybe you can just buy it on the Market on your PC and it will download to your phone when you get it? Never tried it, give it a shot.

market.android.com

Note: Just checked, it works, you can buy it from your computer.

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Welcome to AC & the E4GT family. Just to add to the stick to stock statements. I would agree. IF you have rooted or hacked before then after the update go right ahead and root away. If you never done it. Then as your doing right now , research it. Make sure that it is something you need/want to do. I rooted my first epic after months of having it and at the end kept it stock anyway lol. Good luck and enjoy your new phone.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

So the shipment got delayed, but hopefully I will be up and running tomorrow. It seems I missed a lot of good .10 cent sales but I'm going to look into what I can get now.

Thanks again for all of the information! I will post my impressions after I get the phone and play around a bit
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Absolutely loving this phone! Best experience I have ever had. It feels solid, the screen is gorgeous, and it feels so fast and snappy.

One question for everyone: Is the wifi antenna on the phone not very strong? My ipod touch, laptop, and my coworkers' androids all seem to pick up the wifi in the office better than I do.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Best browser : dolphin hd
    Best launcher app : Go launcher
    Best keyboard : TouchPal ,(swiping is insane with accuracy) and its free and then there's swiftkey
    Best widgets : circle launcher and widgetsoid
    Other great useful apps:
    Voxer (Walkie talkie fb friends)
    Tango (video chat)
    Widget locker (launch apps,bookmarks, etc quickly from lock screen )
    Lol and I also recommend extended battery but that's if you'll be heavy on your new toy ..10 bucks on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by nassah110 View Post
    Absolutely loving this phone! Best experience I have ever had. It feels solid, the screen is gorgeous, and it feels so fast and snappy.

One question for everyone: Is the wifi antenna on the phone not very strong? My ipod touch, laptop, and my coworkers'
    androids all seem to pick up the wifi in the office better than I do.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!
    Yeah you can be standing right next to a router and still not see full WiFi signal. .dunno what's up with that but it never runs slow drop out or disconnect

i have a quik question. when using the stock browser. how do i get it to not make the pages come up in moblie mode and stay on a pc like page. i could do it on my evo4g. thanks

about:user agent (then scroll and choose desktop)

Does anyone know how to get another browser to place a bookmark shortcut on the home screen? I know the stock app does but I am unable to get to web outlook mail on the stock app - I have spoken with both Samsung and Sprint/no luck. (using Opera Web but unable to place one of the bookmarks on the home screen) Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrcminnesota View Post
    about:user agent (then scroll and choose desktop)

Does anyone know how to get another browser to place a bookmark shortcut on the home screen? I know the stock app does but I am unable to get to web outlook mail on the stock app - I have spoken with both Samsung and Sprint/no luck. (using Opera Web but unable to place one of the bookmarks on the home screen) Thanks

im alil new to this phone. can you tell me where find the about, user agent. thanks

sorry - type in the URL about:useragent - a list will come up and scroll to desktop and choose it.
    I have found the stock app does not manage sites as well as 3rd party like Opera Web, Dolphin, etc.
    Thanked by:

thank you very much. why the hell they gotta hide it for ? htc evo was simple. it was just in settings......maybe samsung should do the same for this and make it easy.....

Download the dolphin browser.. .while in the dolphin browser hit the menu button, go to settings, then dolphin settings, user agent is there.. .select it and youll see desktop, even iPhone versions and some others