I Found an Epic 4G Touch Extended Battery & Protective Case Combo
12-28-2012 03:59 PM
- I have never posted on these forums but felt I would be doing a complete disservice to all of the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G Android Phone (Sprint) owners if did not. So, please read this post in its entirety!!!
Ironically, although I own a Sprint Epic 4G Touch, I went by the AT&T stores (probably one of the first times ever in my life) to purchase a RF remote control for my newly installed AT&T U-Verse TV services. And why I was waiting, a phone caught my attention and I said to the salesperson, "Wow, that is a big phone". Well, once I got closer to the phone, I realized (although it was an AT&T phone), it looked eerily similar to my Samsung 4G touch. Upon further examination, I realized that this Samsung Galaxy SII SkyRocket (AT&T) AP1516i72 (released just roughly three weeks ago) was the exact same phone as my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G Android Phone (Sprint). Then I just so happened to look at the accessories just beneath this phone and to my most pleasant surprise observed what appeared too good to be true: an 2X extended battery and protective case built-all-in-one.
The actual name of this most unique device is the "PowerSkin Protective Case with Built-in Battery for Samsung Galaxy SII SkyRocket (AT&T) AP1516i72, Black by Xpal Power". A device of this magnitude was important to me because I (like so many other Sprint Epic 4G Touch owners) have access to purchasing extended batteries (i.e., Seidio), but are then left with absolutely no options to find a suitable protective case; thus comprising cell phone protection for extended battery life. But with this unique accessory, You not only get both for the price of one but it is all inclusive.
However, the million-dollar question: WOULD THIS AT&T SAMSUNG ACCESSORY WORK WITH MY SPRINT EPIC 4G DEVICE. And to my most pleasant surprise, these phones were not only identical in make, style, features and buttons; but "THIS DEVICE NOT ONLY FITTED AND WORKED BUT FITTED AND WORKED PERFECTLY"!!! Thus, when I asked the AT&T representative why Sprint did not introduce this same case in their stores for the Epic 4G Touch, they explained that apparently they did not want to invest the financial resources to secure this product.
Nevertheless, no worries. Because if you are a Sprint Epic 4G Touch owner, who is looking for the perfect Extended Battery and Case, then look no further. Just head to your local AT&T store and purchase a "PowerSkin Protective Case with Built-in Battery for Samsung Galaxy SII SkyRocket (AT&T) AP1516i72, Black by Xpal Power". This case is like no other and my ultimately cell phone extended battery/protective case dream has now come true. And the style and sleek black texture of this accessory is the icing on the cake.
This case sells for $80 at the local AT&T store, but I have found it on others sites (i.e., Amazon.com) for much less. This see link below for your review:
Hope this helps!!!
Avid Sprint Customer and Android Phone User!!!12-15-2011 11:53 AMLike 2
- I know that you just posted, but what are your experiences with the battery life? Does it really give you twice the power? I guess it depends on what kind of user you were in the beginning, so dont forget to mention that once you get around to giving it a proper review. But in the meantime, I would appreciate some pictures of your Epic 4G Touch in this device, with particular attention paid to the corners.12-15-2011 02:03 PM
- The battery is 1500mah: Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket (AT&T) PowerSkin Battery Case | PowerSkin
Makes no sense how this could give the phone twice the power than the 1800mah+ that comes with the GSIIE4GT. I would be skeptical on a snug fit as well since the dimensions of both phones aren't identical.12-15-2011 02:31 PM
- Per your request, I will definitely post a review. I am not experienced at posting reviews (with detailed technical aspects) but I will do my best. I just charged this case last night (I love the way that the phone is connected directly to the protective skin case it is housed in and all you have to do is directly charge the case itself).
However, so far I love what I am seeing. I love the flexibility of turning the protective battery case on and off. When you turn it on, you have another battery icon that shows up on the phone. I love this property. I have never seen this added feature with using any other extended battery options (i.e., Seidio extended batteries). I turned it on for a moment and it pops up in the pane as a secondary battery at 100% charged. So, you have the convenience of tracking its battery level as well. This is so awesome (not to mention the fact that I purchased this all-in-one accessory for the same exact price of what I paid for the Seidio extended battery alone - which is why I will be returning it back for a refund to Seidio today).
So, once my original battery exhausts all power, I will turn it on (power switch is on the back on case nicely fitted out-of-sight - just push on and off), let it kick in, and see what it does. But I am extremely optimistic especially considering that all of the AT&T representatives spoke extremely high of its quality (on a first-hand) basis per their own experience using this device). But, again, I will re-post once I see for myself. So, please stay tuned. I will try to figure out how to take a photo, but in the event I am unsuccessful, the photo on Amazon (see following link) looks exactly like my does in the case (and also shows multiple views):
Thanks again, Michele12-15-2011 02:41 PM
- It actually claims up to 2X power. And if you take into consideration that the Seidio battery is 3200 mah and this battery in this protective pack is 1500 mah (which added to the 1800 mah battery equates to 3300 mah), then at minimum you are getting what you would with the Seidio battery but with a protective case included (which is not an option with the other extended batteries on the market). Unfortunately, our options are limited (which is why I was so elated to see this option) Historically, if we purchased an extended battery, it would be without the option of purchasing a protective case. Therefore, leaving us to choose if we wanted extended talk time or either protective options. But this case at least provides both. Trust me, it is at least worth taking a look. I know it is definitely working for me needs which are (both extended battery and protective coverage). I could not be more pleased. Hope this helps.12-15-2011 02:49 PM
- Good question. The attached usb plug on the case plugs directly into the phone before you put it into the case. It is short and fits perfect and is out of sight on this case. Once the phone is in the case, then all you have to do is plug your charger into the port on the case which then charges not only the secondary battery in the protective case but the standard battery that comes with the phone as well. It is a cool design and convenient setup to say the least. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Again, it is most definitely worth a trip to your local AT&T store to see for yourself and then you can post your thoughts and experiences as well. Thanks!!!12-15-2011 03:03 PM
- So this protector case + battery has a 1500mah battery INSIDE of it, correct? I'll need some addt'l pics to understand, because if you leave the 1800mah Samsung battery in the phone, I don't see how having the 1500mah does any good. You can't just add two separate battery stats and combine into one unless the case has only one battery. The Seidio batt is all-in-one....3200mah.....is the battery from Power Pack 1500mah or 3300mah?12-15-2011 03:05 PM
- 12-15-2011 03:08 PM
- Keep in mind, the 1500 mah battery (which you are right - it is inside the protective case) is 1500 mah; but it is plugs into and works as an add on to your 1800 mah battery giving you a total of 3300 mah (comparable if not more that Seidio's 3200 mah). Thus, it is not a stand alone system like the Seidio but an add-on. But when it is all said and done, you have the same all-in-one look.
If you click on the Amazon link I sent you (Amazon.com: PowerSkin Protective Case with Built-in Battery for Samsung Galaxy SII SkyRocket (AT&T) AP1516i72, Black: Cell Phones & Accessories), it will give you the option to view additional photos of this device on phone. Just (right beneath photo of phone) click on "See larger image and other views (with zoom) " link.12-15-2011 03:11 PM
- Perfect, and when you go by AT&T on your way home, I would like to know if you are as impressed as I am. To be honest, this is what I have been dreaming and hoping for since purchasing extended batteries. It definitely works for me and was worth me sharing with others. I hope you will find it to work for you as well.12-15-2011 03:13 PM
- I'm really intrigued to see how the 1500mah battery pack "plugs into" the 1800mah battery in the back of the phone. I had no idea something could be designed like that.
How is the fit of the case? Is it snug? And maybe a stupid question, but Amazon doesn't have a picture of the backside of the case - does it have a cutout for the camera and flash?12-15-2011 03:25 PM
- To be honest with you, when I saw this case, it was almost too good to be true so I was pleasantly intrigued as well; and it has most definitely exceeded all of my expectations. I know it sounds strange, but it even appears to be improving the performance of my original battery (although I will let you know the verdict on this one shortly). So, far, it is appearing to outperform the Seidio (but this is only preliminary). I will confirm. As far as the fit, it fits perfectly snug. I love it. Keep in mind that this is a case that is made for the same identical phone (AND I DO MEAN IDENTICAL) simply made under another name for another provider. And it appears that the only reason Sprint hasn't secured it for the Samsung Epic 4G touch was because they did not want to pay for the rights. And yes, since the case is made specifically for the Epic touch's identical twin, it fits perfectly and accommodates the camera, flash and all other buttons. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions. Although I believe seeing it for yourself will speak for itself. Trust me!!!12-15-2011 03:42 PM
- We put these phones side by side in the store and everything is identical (from the ports, to the camera, to the flash, to the charging station). I assure you. I have never even heard of the Skyrocket phone until I walked in. But believe me, just go and see for yourself. I have the case on now and it perfectly aligns with every button, camera, flash and port on my phone. Again, just simply go and see for yourself. You will have nothing to lose. Hope this helps. Thanks!!!12-15-2011 03:44 PM
- hummmm.. something is not adding up here.
one user swears they are the same phone, another user doesnt.
one user is new and one user has been around for a while.. hummmm...
I would like to believe this case would fit on our phones, but just not quite sure it will..
I would stop by an ATT store on my way home but the closest one to me is next to a big mall, and in Dallas with our traffic, plus adding the rain. Im going to keep clear of all of that for a while.
I hope someone else is close to an ATT store so they can give a 3rd opinion.. maybe a tie breaker here.12-15-2011 05:04 PM
- To enlight on this situation. It isn't to far fetch to think that the att skyrocket case will work for our epic touch 4g. If you look at the link that I provided. The demension of the skyrocket is a tad bit bigger then the demension of the epic touch 4g. That means the case must be a tad bit bigger to fit the epic touch. Just my thoughts. Personally, I don't think the case looks all that great but it nice to see that we epix owners do have options.
http://www.solidmobiles.com/samsung/...ifference.html12-15-2011 05:24 PM
- Calm down folks...there is a difference, but not a big enough difference to where the battery pack will not work. Here are the specs from Samsung's website directly.
- AT&T - Display size = 4.5"; Overall size = 5.15" x 2.75" x 0.37"
- Sprint Epic 4G Touch - Display size 4.52"; Overall size = 5.11" x 2.74" x 0.38"
As you can see, the overall size is different, but barely. The biggest determination on how well it fits will be the radius of the corners.12-15-2011 07:43 PM
- Samsung Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S2
- Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
I Found an Epic 4G Touch Extended Battery & Protective Case Combo
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD