Epic 4G can't get a GPS lock

DuStU

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything from resetting the phone to reinstalling maps. Sprint even sent me a new phone. I can't freaking get a lock anymore even with full signal just a big circle and in navigation is says "Searchign for GPS....". Anyway to fix this. Please help

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
If you go into the 'Location and Security, setting, I would try enabling the "Use Wireless Networks" option. I think that helps get a lock on faster.

Reactions: ladyc0524

boxta

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue, some day it would lock on in seconds, some day (especially when I need it). Would lock on like never. I got gps status application, and it helps when I clear a-gps history, but not always. But definitely frustrating enough that I am starting to not like the phone

DuStU

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
None of the above works for me. What gives? It used to work perfectly now when I drive the same place it is just searching and searching.... even spent 40 min on the phone with sprint and they had no idea how to fix.

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine does the same thing. I did reset the agps though an app and that helps sometimes buy not always.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys gotten the latest update from Sprint? The one that brings you up to Android 2.3.6 ? I had the same exact issue and it was infuriating. I was about to go into a Sprint store and demand a new phone but the day I got the update, my GPS works marvelously. Lock in 5-6 seconds. And now, when I'm in my apartment, as long as I'm near a window, it will lock on WITHOUT wifi.

Before, it would never EVER find me when I was indoors. I hope this helps.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys gotten the latest update from Sprint? The one that brings you up to Android 2.3.6 ? I had the same exact issue and it was infuriating. I was about to go into a Sprint store and demand a new phone but the day I got the update, my GPS works marvelously. Lock in 5-6 seconds. And now, when I'm in my apartment, as long as I'm near a window, it will lock on WITHOUT wifi.

Before, it would never EVER find me when I was indoors. I hope this helps.

Mine's the opposite. Worked perfectly before EK02, so much so that I was in the process of forgiving Samsung for months of frustration with GPS on my Epic 4G. After EK02, however, and it takes forever to lock when it actually will lock, and then this morning it wouldn't lock at all. Rebooting didin't help. Only thing that did was to load up GPS Status and refresh the GPS cache.

Why Samsung can't make a reliable GPS is beyond me. Truly it is.

Knoidea513

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
since the update my gps has failed me. .used it for the first time since the update and it couldn find my starting point correctly, had me lost and i was late for a rehearsal.. i tried rebooting and everything

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
My GPS has been hit or miss but for the most part it locks on immediately. The times where it doesn't is when it requires a restart but generally a restart fixes the issue. One thing I did, and someone in this thread I'm sure already mentioned this, is turn off "use sensor aiding" and since I've done that I've gotten an immediate lock every single time I've used it thus far.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
My GPS has been hit or miss but for the most part it locks on immediately. The times where it doesn't is when it requires a restart but generally a restart fixes the issue. One thing I did, and someone in this thread I'm sure already mentioned this, is turn off "use sensor aiding" and since I've done that I've gotten an immediate lock every single time I've used it thus far.

Okay, thanks, I'll give that "use sensor aiding" thing a try. Anybody know exactly what that does? What are we losing by turning it off?

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I messed around with mine today and yesterday while going places and was able to get a GPS lock immediately. The only strange thing that happened was while using Google Nav it thought I was on the service road instead of the Expressway which runs adjacent to it. TeleNav was able to get a proper lock, however. I'll continue to test this over the next few days while I go out and about and see if I have a problem and will report back regardless.

Ogre840

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Before the update I was getting great GPS signal, now if I'm using Gmaps it wont connect, and Telenav either wont lock on quick, or I have to drive a good distance before it goes from "Too weak" to a connection.

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I used my GPS and it locked on without a hitch today. Usually i have issues. Maybe the update might have helped.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

repinphilly247

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Mine's the opposite. Worked perfectly before EK02, so much so that I was in the process of forgiving Samsung for months of frustration with GPS on my Epic 4G. After EK02, however, and it takes forever to lock when it actually will lock, and then this morning it wouldn't lock at all. Rebooting didin't help. Only thing that did was to load up GPS Status and refresh the GPS cache.

Why Samsung can't make a reliable GPS is beyond me. Truly it is.

Have the exact same problem. Got it to work great before the update (as long as I wasn't indoors). After the update, the phone sees the satellites (up to 10 of them, using GPS test), but it won't lock onto them. I think part of the problem may be that it's not using wireless networks correctly to get an initial position as my phone often has me not close to where I am but where I was like 20 minutes prior if i moved.

Extremely frustrating

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Weatherbug Elite fixes my ET gps ,I have gps forecast update interval set at 4 hour.
Its refreshing agps clearing cache so when I start telanav , Gmaps etc solid 7-9 sat lock occurs within seconds

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
After the update, my GPS works great so long as I turn on "Use sensor aiding" under "Location and security" in "Settings."
yeah disabling sensor helps lots but doesn't fix pathetic gps drivers Samsung has on board.
Your GPS may seem great but if cache isn't cleared your more then likely not getting 7-9 satellite loc a majority of the time

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
yeah disabling sensor helps lots but doesn't fix pathetic gps drivers Samsung has on board.
Your GPS may seem great but if cache isn't cleared your more then likely not getting 7-9 satellite loc a majority of the time

Disabled or Enabled?

Only thing i use the GPS Location down to its street Level option but it is sad, that you can't use the phone when there isn't any Data available due to having to clear it's cache to be used. :/, which defeats clearing it,being that it has to be downloaded.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams