Battery life poor after update.

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else notice a drop in battery life after the update? My battery was pretty good before (not as good as my Photon). Now it is about as bad as my OG Evo. Am I the only one?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
My battery life degraded substantially after the update too. No new app installed since update. My battery life used to drain at rate of about 2% before the update when the device was not being used, but now it drains at rate between 4% to 10% per hour even when the phone is lying on the table without use. Monitoring using SystemPanel just showed higher than usual usage of System Processes. I removed the battery, calibrated it, but nothing helped. But seems like for most people the battery life either has improved or remains unchanged, wonder why this is different for us few!!! I will wait for a week or so, and if it doesn't improve, I would do a hard reset and see if it becomes any better after re-installing the update.

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I am glad it isn't just me. I am also planning to do a factory data reset soon if things don't improve, just hate getting everything set back the way I want afterwards....

addiarmadar

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Could be one of the apps/process causing a memory leak from not jiving well after the update. Make sure you have all apps updated otherwise when you do the hard reset try the phone out first without the apps for a few hours to make sure the battery life has improved and then can see if an app is still causing the leak.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I would say from my experience that battery life is the same to maybe a touch better. When not using the phone I'd say it drains less than it has in the best (perhaps just from cleaned up code). Overall I'd say any impact to battery life has been minor.

A hard reset would usually help in those issues (make sure you update right after the reset and make sure things look good before restoring all the information/settings/etc).

locationman52

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
My battery life has improved dramatically. That may be due to the fact that my office is a low service area and that was one of the fixes. But, I probably get about 25% more life since the update.

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
My battery was miserable initially after the update, but has improved drastically. Delete any widgets from your homepage that constantly updates. I also noticed my Task Manager would not show active applications that I knew were active (Pandora, apps in the background) so I downloaded Advanced Task Killer, FWIW.

kgzero

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine has also degraded. But it isn't as bad as some of you seem to have. But, mine does seem to not be as good as before the update.

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Put me in the battery has gotten worse camp. Also before the update when a full charge was reached it would make a sound to inform me. Now it just lights the blue led light. I want my sound back. Can't find the option.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
My battery life hasn't changed. Make sure to update all your apps if you haven't already. Battery life is still great for me compared to every other smartphone I have owned.

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok I may have found the problem with my battery life. Deleted my twitter client (Seesmic) and re downloaded it again. Reason thought it might be that app is that the notification number kept going up. Knew there wasn't 325 new tweets.

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine has degraded considerably, the battery does not make it through the day until three pm when cut back on at five am, I am dissappointed and at a loss what to do since there are no new apps added just the update. I now take the usb cord with me a plug into my computer at work just to recharge for.

Asian Kyle

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
my seemed the same but If you want even better battery life I suggest rooted and flashing unnamed or calkulin's they're pretty stock looking and increase battery life, they also make your phone even faster and smooth. I'm running calkulin's rom
435373b1-e075-7e0f.jpg

Running calkulin's rom, new senzation theme, and desperado kernel.

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well as an update: I did a factory reset just before xmas and have given it some time to evaluate it since. So far it seems to have made a very noticeable improvement in battery life, pretty much back to where it was before the update. The real kicker is that I am pretty sure I have installed all of the apps I had before. Sure was a pain to go through setting everything up again but it seems to be worth it so far.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the follow up.
I have always been a big fan of hard resets after i do a major update but with this update i didnt think it was that major. So far my device seems on par with before the update.
makes me wonder if doing a hard reset will improve up on that.

I also think that a lot of apps run better when they are fresh installs, versus installs that have had several updates. Thats another perk of a hard reset. All the apps get installed from newer versions.

looks like i have another long weekend off from work so perhaps i can do that to my device.

voidcomp

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Much improved. I sometimes wonder what people expect ... 2 days of battery life for constant surfing, streaming, photographing, etc? Won't happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781