How to get this phone to play through AUX on my Car Radio

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok..tried searching, found nothing.

I own a 2010 GMC Terrain that has a USB input for audio devices. It works fine with an iPod, iPhone, Evo 4G, Evo 3D, Nexus S.....but I've had my SGS2 for a couple of months and still won't work.

When I plug it in, it says the device is not supported. I don't understand why it wouldn't work when everything else worked fine. Pretty annoying because I like playing the music on my phone rather than the radio. Was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and figured out a solution.

dr_elusive

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Does it have a Mini Jack you can just plug in via the headphone port? Or can it do bluetooth? My Ford edge Just links up via bluetooth automatically when i get in the car, I don't even have to Launch the app or press play (Pandora). It does it for you.

Dr.

Taz420NJ

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
If I had to guess, it's a driver issue. Call up a Chevy dealer and ask if there is any sort of software update available for your stereo unit.

You could always use Bluetooth or the standard AUX jack.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the option to do AUX using a USB input, or I can do the direct connection using the headphone port. I don't have a bluetooth option.

I prefer to use the USB input over the headphone port because it lets me control the music through the Radio instead of having to keep picking up the phone and looking down, which gets dangerous.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok..tried searching, found nothing.

I own a 2010 GMC Terrain that has a USB input for audio devices. It works fine with an iPod, iPhone, Evo 4G, Evo 3D, Nexus S.....but I've had my SGS2 for a couple of months and still won't work.

When I plug it in, it says the device is not supported. I don't understand why it wouldn't work when everything else worked fine. Pretty annoying because I like playing the music on my phone rather than the radio. Was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and figured out a solution.

I know exactly what you mean. I thought the problem was that the gs2 was so new and my 2010 malibu was out of date. But I tried it in a 2012 explorer and have the same problem. Droid incredible worked great. Someone has to have an answer for this. It's frustrating in my malibu becuase I can't access music via bluetooth and would like to access it from the radio in the car.

Taz420NJ

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Does it have a Mini Jack you can just plug in via the headphone port? Or can it do bluetooth? My Ford edge Just links up via bluetooth automatically when i get in the car, I don't even have to Launch the app or press play (Pandora). It does it for you.

Dr.

From what I can find, using the USB port with this stereo simply puts the device into mass-storage mode, and the stereo itself plays the mp3 files. It basically turns the phone into a thumb drive. It isn't feeding actual audio over the USB connection.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean. I thought the problem was that the gs2 was so new and my 2010 malibu was out of date. But I tried it in a 2012 explorer and have the same problem. Droid incredible worked great. Someone has to have an answer for this. It's frustrating in my malibu becuase I can't access music via bluetooth and would like to access it from the radio in the car.

Exactly. And it just blows my mind that all my other devices have worked without a problem...including the Nexus S 4G --- another Sammy phone :confused:

Taz420NJ

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the option to do AUX using a USB input, or I can do the direct connection using the headphone port. I don't have a bluetooth option.

I prefer to use the USB input over the headphone port because it lets me control the music through the Radio instead of having to keep picking up the phone and looking down, which gets dangerous.

I find that hard to believe if it has USB.. Which radio do you have?

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. And it just blows my mind that all my other devices have worked without a problem...including the Nexus S 4G --- another Sammy phone :confused:

I'm going to go to my car and see if I can change the settings to mass storage. Not sure if it will work. Even if it does, it would be a pain to have to change it everytime

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Its the factory radio (base model). No bluetooth but does have a USB input. Trust me...I WISH it had bluetooth, would make things much easier.
My car has Bluetooth but it doesn't work to access music on the phone as far as I can tell. On my droid incredible I was able to access the files on the phone through the radio. I could select my music through the file tree and play it.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
It is because the phone uses MTP mode instead of USB Mass Storage. People are having the same issue with the Galaxy Nexus. Probably will never be a fix since the manufacturer designed it to work that way.

Update: Go into Settings>Applications>Development and turn on USB debugging. Then see if it works. If not pull down the notification tray and click the usb storage option. See if that works...

Last edited:

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
It is because the phone uses MTP mode instead of USB Mass Storage. People are having the same issue with the Galaxy Nexus. Probably will never be a fix since the manufacturer designed it to work that way.

Update: Go into Settings>Applications>Development and turn on USB debugging. Then see if it works. If not pull down the notification tray and click the usb storage option. See if that works...

Thanks for trying. Still says not supported.

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe there's any "audio" on a standard USB cable, so the radio almost certainly is using the phone as a USB drive and reading the files, yes?

When I connect my E4GT to the computer as a USB drive, I have to tap a button that tells the E4GT to "connect". There's usually a notification that allows me to do this when I plug it in. But I think there's also something in the Settings menu under 'Wireless and Network'. I suspect you have to somehow get your E4GT to go into USB drive mode.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe there's any "audio" on a standard USB cable, so the radio almost certainly is using the phone as a USB drive and reading the files, yes?

When I connect my E4GT to the computer as a USB drive, I have to tap a button that tells the E4GT to "connect". There's usually a notification that allows me to do this when I plug it in. But I think there's also something in the Settings menu under 'Wireless and Network'. I suspect you have to somehow get your E4GT to go into USB drive mode.

I've tried and there doesn't seem to be a way. Maybe someone can figure out a way with a different ROM? I just chatted with support and samsung and they told me it will not play through the car.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've tried and there doesn't seem to be a way. Maybe someone can figure out a way with a different ROM? I just chatted with support and samsung and they told me it will not play through the car.

Man.... to me that is totally an unacceptable response. These devices are supposed to be a multi-media hub that can be used anywhere. They need to figure out a way to make this work. It's not like this is some crazy request considering virtually every other competing device on the market works just fine in the car.

Pretty lame on the part of Sammy if you ask me. :mad:

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The device is a multi-media hub given both devices are COMPATIBLE.
IN your case your car stereo is not compatible. It was designed to work via USB with Apple products. had you had the BT option it would be working just fine.. more then likely that is.

Thru my WiFi i can go home and play music / videos / pictures via the media share app on my PS3.
I can stream music thru bluetooth, when i am in my truck i have a stereo with a 3.5mm stereo jack to plug into.
Hell its even got MHL support.

Apple products are designed to play music thru the cable because they dont use a standard micro usb pin out. They have thier own 30 or 32 or what ever number pins thier wide adapters have. This allows them to be hooked up to docking stations and charge, play, and manipulate controls via that data port. Audio is not designed on our devices to be played directly thru the micro usb port.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Man.... to me that is totally an unacceptable response. These devices are supposed to be a multi-media hub that can be used anywhere. They need to figure out a way to make this work. It's not like this is some crazy request considering virtually every other competing device on the market works just fine in the car.

Pretty lame on the part of Sammy if you ask me. :mad:

It's possible I got somebody that didn't know the answer and said it doesn't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol