Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Default Should I buy it ?

So I currently have a iPhone 4s. Great phone but I'm looking to go back to android! So my question is should, I'd undo go back, I want this phone. What are something's I should look out for ( problems) overall experience with the phone, and reliability of the phone. I have had a lot of android phones but this phone and the galaxy nexus for sprint are peaking my interest.

Default Re: Should I buy it ?

Compared to the ibrick the GS2 is awesome! Compared to the GNex it is still pretty awesome in my book.

GS2 is fast. I'm talking WOW fast! The screen is wonderful with great colors. I personally have had no issues what so ever (knock on wood) with mine. I use the GoLauncher program to give me more flexibility until CM9 is released for the GS2, but even Touch Wiz works pretty darn well.

I have not had the GNex in my hands yet so I'm not sure how that compares but I love the feel of the GS2 in my had. The back has a great textured feel to it and even though it is made if plastic it feels well made and not cheap. Oh yeah, and did I mention that it is as light as a feather? I think the Razor is the only other phone of this caliber that is this light. Feels great in the pocket and in the hand.

Hope this helps you break your ifruit problem.
    Lucki likes this.

This is the best Android phone out now....PERIOD

Nexus= NO SD card storage
    5MP camera instead of 8MP
    Suckhole Verizon only

3 big reasons to get this phone
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Well I'm going to sell my iPhone and buy it !!
    Lucki and lilotimz like this.

ROM
    Stock for now

The Galaxy Nexus was announced for Sprint at CES. I believe its going to be one of the first LTE phones that are released for the new network. Not sure of the timing, but as an Epic 4G Touch owner, I could not be happier. I have a couple of upgrades available on my account over the next year and I have no idea what I would be looking for other than LTE.

I've been impressed by the battery life, size, speed, stability of this device. Recently I swapped out my old 8GB microSD for a 16GB and was SHOCKED how little dust had collected behind the back cover. I remember my old Evo being covered in dust. Even the Moto Photon would get dusty pretty easily. I know some people had some bad experiences, but I don't think they are the majority.
    Jeff
    Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Pixi, Moto Q, BB Curve, PPC-6700
    Addicted to cell phones since 1998

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

I know that if you worry about waiting for the next big thing, you will never end up upgrading. But I'm worried anyway. I would like to use my upgrade for the Epic 4G Touch, but the GSII was announced almost a year ago. That is OK right now, but when my contract runs out again in two years, it will be a three year old phone.

Is the GSII good enough to warrant a purchase at this late date?

ROM
    Jelly Bean

There's always gonna be a better phone after you've purchased one. It took me 2 months to decide to buy the GSII. Buy it and you won't regret it! :O)

I would wait for the galaxy nexus or stay with the iPhone. Samsung just doesn't support their branded phones with updates. Google updates the nexus directly.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

The epic 4G has the newest version of android right now? That is two or three upgrades. Yes they aren't the quickest to update their phones but I don't think they support their phones any less than any other manufacturer. Eventually the nexus will be obsoleted out of updates as well due to hardware

It will take a while longer to get updates with the GS2 but the hardware on the GNex is sub standard (5mp camera, no sd card = yuck).

The GS2 is a VERY FAST phone and has an awesome camera and a sd card slot.

Just my opinion.

One issue I've noticed on the two epic touches I've owned is sudden battery drain after a restart. So I try to not reboot the phone until I'm at home. I've had drops as large as 60%, going from 80% to 20%. Typically the drops range from 15% to 35%.

Also using the gps really drains the battery a lot but that's a given.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

To those that question whether the SGS2 is powerful enough to last 2 years from today.

Quick lesson -

It was announced last year around febuary and released late april / early may (international).

List one android phone that could even match the GS2 (E4GT) in terms of capabilities like raw performance / screen / camera ....

~~Yup...
    Arguably the only phone that can beats the GS2 is the GS Note but that's the big brother of the GS2 and it's not for everyone due to its size plus the screen is not Super Amoled +...

So yeah..

ROM
    Stock for now

Androidpirate,

I've seen this same phenomenon. For me though, its only when I do a battery pull. Just a standard restart and I dont see any problem. Once I pull the battery the drop is pretty noticeable. Luckily the phone doesn't need battery pulls with any sort of consistency.

In conjunction with this, I have noticed where it will actually start creeping back up depending on how you use it. Once I had 35% left and 90 mins later when I didn't touch the phone I had 45%
    Jeff
    Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Pixi, Moto Q, BB Curve, PPC-6700
    Addicted to cell phones since 1998

I have owned the GNex,Rezound,IP4S and now the EP4Touch... and this phone in my opionion beats all of them. Had the GNex for 2 days returned it due to data connectivitiy issues, the rezound for a week.. was just to darn big IMO, and the IP4S returned it the next day what a boring device LOL (besides the camera).. have had the EP4 for a week now and I absolutely love this thing.. speed, amazing camera and it is THIN and LIGHT.. I do miss LTE but WiMax has been decent here in So Cal I am averaging 6/1 just about everywhere I go.. Absolutely no buyers remorse here.. so GET IT!!

I'm singing pretty much the same tune. I've been "honeymooning" my GS2 since early December... I keep thinking the romance will fade - but it hasn't waned yet!

I've had ZERO buyer's remorse.
    I say go for it!

Sent from my SPH-D710

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    I know that if you worry about waiting for the next big thing, you will never end up upgrading. But I'm worried anyway. I would like to use my upgrade for the Epic 4G Touch, but the GSII was announced almost a year ago. That is OK right now, but when my contract runs out again in two years, it will be a three year old phone.

Is the GSII good enough to warrant a purchase at this late date?
    Bought it ($50 at Sam's Club with no activation fee this last weekend). LOVE it. The only problem I have with it so far is that it is so thin and light I feel like it is always on the edge of slipping out of my hand.
    Last edited by Sapient; 01-17-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by androidpirate View Post
    One issue I've noticed on the two epic touches I've owned is sudden battery drain after a restart. So I try to not reboot the phone until I'm at home. I've had drops as large as 60%, going from 80% to 20%. Typically the drops range from 15% to 35%.
    This is a battery % reporting issue that has something to do with the Maxim fuel gauge in Galaxy S2 phones. The Maxim chip and firmware in this phone is rather unique in the Android device world, and something about reboots can throw Android off sometimes. It will usually self calibrate however. I've had my battery actually INCREASE while off the charger, slowly over time, after a reboot. Recharging to full will get things back to normal because the Android battery stats get reset.

This phone is the best I've had. Super fast, great customization abilities with ADW. Love how light it is and feels. The screen is huge and the colors are fantastic. You wont regret your purchase if you opt for the SGSII. Just sayin'
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Well I sold my iPhone 4 s for 400 and buying my galaxy on Friday brand new for 300 on Craigslist

Good for you! You'll love this phone..I came from the iPhone 4 and I'm happy to be back with Android!

Quote Originally Posted by bsanto9 View Post
    Well I sold my iPhone 4 s for 400 and buying my galaxy on Friday brand new for 300 on Craigslist
    I've been having the same quandary. Been a mac person for years. Never had a smartphone and just figured I would go with the iphone. Employees in Radio shack talked me into the Epic touch. I had it for 2 days and was all freaked out, didn't know how to use it, and went back and exchanged it for the ip4s.
    If I had never had the Epic, I would have been happy. HOWEVER ... getting the i4s back , the weight, small screen only these buttons..... wow.... I'm switching back tomorrow for the white Epic. I am worried about syncing up itunes somehow and iphoto, as I take lots of pics, and video. Is there a program that works pretty well ??
    Is there a place to learn this phone for first timers ????
    Thanks !!!!!!
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

well i look at it this way! i was very excited to by the iPhone 4s not because of the hype etc but because i have always wanted an iPhone and was expecting to get the 5 with bigger screen. I just cant handle having the small screen right now im a bigger guy (6'3 225 lbs) and a 4' screen is minimum. So come summer when the new iPhone 5 comes out i will give this great phone to my fiancee and by the new iPhone (Maybe any way im excited !!

Will the GS2 work on the upcoming 4G LTE network or will only the new LTE phones work on the new network?
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Just new let phone will. This is only WiMAX from what I'm understanding

definitely go with the E4GT dude. I have had a couple iphones in the past(never purchased the 4 or 4s) and I really liked them. TBH, the only reason I got my E4GT is because I had never owned a android phone and I figured I would just mix things up.

I asked myself,"why did I not do this before?". I love this device so far. And I still feel I have not even scratched the surface on what this thing can do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast