Intermittent problems from HELL!

sanjuanaudio

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I am about this close to skipping my phone down the ice covered street and canceling my Sprint account (which I've had for over ten years). Before I do, I thought I'd come here and see if I can get some help. Last weekend my phone started locking up. The display would randomly turn on, then dim, then stay that way. I had to restart the phone (either by holding down the power button for ten seconds, or by removing the battery) nearly twenty times over the span of one day. The following day (after making sure I had my data backed up), I reset the phone to factory stock (my phone was neither rooted, nor full of odd apps). From the point on, the lock ups were only a couple of times a day, but I would now find the phone randomly in "Car mode", the charging light would come on when not charging, and the phone would tell me that it was connected to a computer via USB when there wasn't even a cable plugged in. After a couple of days of this, I took it to the Sprint store where they performed another factory reset. The problems have since persisted (though intermittently enough that further trips to the service center have resulted in a complete lack of help. Since my initial trip to the service center, my phone has also added the the lovely symptom of answering (and making) nearly every phone call with the speaker phone on.

Does anyone have any ideas?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
This is another strange one. Your phone is faulty and Sprint should give you a replacement. Have you been able to replicate the issues while at the store? Have you tried different stores?

I can see no reason why this would happen if you haven't even rooted. My best guess would be an app may cause some of those issues but no where near all of them.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

louie2701

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I had issues with mine last week. My display would dim in 3 seconds no matter what timeout setting I had it on. Also ,when my calls came in, my screen would lock up and I was unable to swipe the screen to reject or accept the call. I took it into Sprint dealer and the problems persisted. They ordered me a replacement . When I received the replacement, I restored all my apps and data from a backup that I had on my sd card storage. Within a day, the same problems occured to the new phone. I reset the phone and went to stock with no apps all day with no problems. I started adding all my apps back in one by one and and waiting a few hours inbetween each one,so far I have had no problems at all. I'm thinking that it is a crazy app and eventually I will find it.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Going into car mode randomly and answering to speaker randomly is common on all three of the ET 4G's we own. They have all been purchased at different places at different times.

sanjuanaudio

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
At first I was thinking it may have been an app too, but when it started I hadn't updated anything in a week. I'm now on my third factory reset and this time I haven't even bothered to load in my address book. I'm still having the screen lock up on me.
During my first trip to the Sprint store I was told that if the problems persisted, I should come back and they would order me a new phone. At my second trip I received a bunch of attitude and was told there was nothing they could do other than reset the phone again. I don't know if I should be more annoyed with Samsung or Sprint at this point, but I'm about ready to jump ship for AT&T and Apple

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
From what you described, you've got a hardware failure somewhere, probably involving the micro USB port and possibly the front sensors among other things. Either way, I think only a replacement is going to solve your problems. If your issues stem from a software problem I'll eat my shoe.

I've never experienced my phone going into car dock mode unless I wanted it to, answered calls on speaker, or any of the other problems described so far.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm with JayWill on this one. You need a new phone. Take it back to the store and tell/show them that your problems continue, and that you want nothing less than a new phone. You should not be having any of these problems, and certainly not with the frequency you describe.

Sole07

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had some of the problems you've described also. It went as far as having a faulty touch screen, a narrow bar on my phone was not picking up any of my touches. I took it to Sprint and they tried to fix and figured it was a hardware problem. They ordered me a new one, picked it up yesterday and all is good so far. Try another Sprint store. Good luck.:-[

Rdjinc

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Next time it goes to car dock go to running apps and close down the 2 listed for voice controll restart and should work I'm in the third phone this one did it a month ago hasn't again good luck

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I am about this close to skipping my phone down the ice covered street and canceling my Sprint account (which I've had for over ten years).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Yes, call Samsung directly!

That's what I did and they fixed my phone for free, I just had to send it into them and use and older phone for the 10 days they had it (that included the shipping and return).

They might even swap it, if it can't be fixed!

They were definitely more understand and willing to work with me than Sprint's tech support ever did! Spring only knows how to just reset your phone, nothing else!

Rob

Rob sent this from his SPH-D710 via Tapatalk