Share your EL29 update experience here!!

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Some of us have already started getting the EL29 update. Other than the important CIQ removal and some other fixes, this update would bring improvements for some in gps, battery life, internet speeds, signal strength, bluetooth, wifi etc. (and for some these would become worse). Share what your experiences have been with this update so far.

junebug72

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
so far so good... Gps still isn't great but it works.. Do like the new answer/decline button look sexy..lol... Other than that noticed nothing

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The call screen looks good but my email app is wonky. When i delete the emails then later open open to refresh, it brings back emails from back in December. At least they fixed the lock screen pop up after you hang up a call thing that was happening to me before.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
My update went smoothly as well. I tried to initiate it yesterday by rebooting the phone but nothing happenend. Tried it again just now by simply turning the phone off (no yanking of the battery involved) and turning it back on. At first it looked like nothing happened again, so I went to the update section, and sure enough, as soon as I checked for the update a screen showed up showing that the phone was halfway through downloading the 24 MB update. Installation took about 5 minutes.

I do like the new accept and decline call buttons as mentioned above, and the new phone icon with the integrated dial grid looks nice too (for those of us that use the stock launcher). The only thing that bugs me about it a bit is that I use Widget Locker, and when you decline a call, the stock lock screen wallpaper rears it's ugly head before Widget Locker has a chance to show up again. Small detail, but, whatever...

Can't comment on signal strength or GPS since I just did the update.

I like the little details that they change, and so far, they have all been for the better.

Here is what they still need to fix:

1. Call log. It always defaults back to showing all voice calls AND text messages. If I just want to see voice calls, I have to hit the menu button again and adjust it.

2. Email app. On rather numerous occasions I get "rogue" emails from 1969!!! It's an email with no subject and no content, but just a date of 1969. Not sure if this is a problem with the email app or my email accounts, but it does happen on all 3 of my email accounts. Another issue I have with the email app is that it re-downloads that I have already deleted from the phone. Not sure again if I am the only one with this problem and what is responsible for it, but it gets to be annoying after a while. Usually downloading the email from my computer using Outlook fixes it for a while since Outlook deletes the mail on the server.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The call screen looks good but my email app is wonky. When i delete the emails then later open open to refresh, it brings back emails from back in December. At least they fixed the lock screen pop up after you hang up a call thing that was happening to me before.

Elaborate on the lock screen pop up thing please? If you read what I just wrote, I do have a bit of an issue with the stock lock screen popping up before Widget Locker takes over.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
the update has broken something, since the update my Fancy Widgets weather widget will no longer update my location, before the update my location would change as I traveled, now it wont.........

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
the update has broken something, since the update my Fancy Widgets weather widget will no longer update my location, before the update my location would change as I traveled, now it wont.........

Hmm, I am using HD Widgets. Going to have to keep an eye on that...

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I really want to know how the battery life turns out to be for most people with this update!!

Mine has always been pretty good, until I started playing Words with Friends. Since the Android version of that game doesn't seem to use push notifications, I set the check interval to 5 minutes, and that really killed my battery life. I set it back to 1 hour and things are well. With moderate use, I can get 16 hours out of one charge.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
From battery life, I meant to ask if the update made people's battery life significantly worse. I was reading over at XDA that for some people who had been using leaked versions of EL29, battery life was considerably worse than EL13. I just received my EL29 update, so I will see how it effects mine.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
2. Email app. On rather numerous occasions I get "rogue" emails from 1969!!! It's an email with no subject and no content, but just a date of 1969. Not sure if this is a problem with the email app or my email accounts, but it does happen on all 3 of my email accounts. Another issue I have with the email app is that it re-downloads that I have already deleted from the phone. Not sure again if I am the only one with this problem and what is responsible for it, but it gets to be annoying after a while. Usually downloading the email from my computer using Outlook fixes it for a while since Outlook deletes the mail on the server.

FYI, i think this is a bug with yahoo mail.
I have recieved emails like that in the past and it started up again a few weeks ago. Its only affecting 2 of my email accounts. Both are yahoo.
This also happened a year or so ago and went away after a month.

I also read about a similar experience with a guy on an iPhone forum, yahoo email as well. So i think its yahoo related and not android, or this update specific.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
FYI, i think this is a bug with yahoo mail.
I have recieved emails like that in the past and it started up again a few weeks ago. Its only affecting 2 of my email accounts. Both are yahoo.
This also happened a year or so ago and went away after a month.

I also read about a similar experience with a guy on an iPhone forum, yahoo email as well. So i think its yahoo related and not android, or this update specific.

Funny thing is that I do have a Yahoo Pro account, but it's not the one causing all that much trouble. It does it once in a while. My other one is a GMX account (German Mail Exchange), it's the one that goes nuts the most.

Thanks for your input though.

gbean

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
The home screen and application wallpaper no longer moves side to side in the background like it used to when scrolling through the different pages.
Also it appears my select cursor is off position when trying to select text.

gblinckmann

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not noticing any significant difference in battery life. The only thing I'm looking for in this update is for blutooth to connect more reliably. It wasn't bad before, but occasionally I'd get a connection failure. So far, so good.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Why would they get rid of the Wallpaper scrolling!!?? That's just silly! I really don't want to go back to a custom launcher, using them, scrolling isn't quite as smooth as stock. In addition, after using ADW Launcher for a few weeks and having a nice setup going, I had to reboot the phone, and after I did that, all app icons went to default android icons and even disappeared in the app drawer! Don't want to have to go through all that setup business again.

byeblackberry

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Are people really complaining about not having a scrolling wallpaper? WOW! Just shows you that it will never be perfect and that people are not happy unless they are complaining about something. LMAO

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Are people really complaining about not having a scrolling wallpaper? WOW! Just shows you that it will never be perfect and that people are not happy unless they are complaining about something. LMAO

If was never there in the first place, you wouldn't hear any complaints. The fact that something was taken away is where the issue stems from. Is it a huge deal? Of course not, but it was a nice touch and enhanced the TouchWiz experience. Some people may not have wanted to trade looping homescreens for scrolling wallpaper, and I can understand the disappointment.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance