Using wifi while in airplane mode.

sjl330

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
We are going to be traveling out of the county. Please tell me if I have the correct info. I'm going to leave my phone in airplane mode during the trip to avoid any random calls or data charges. But I'm going to use the free wifi available to us where we're staying. I've checked this at home already by putting my phone in airplane mode and hooking up to the wifi in our house instead of the Sprint network wifi. I tried to call my phone and text my phone. Nothing came through but I was still able to access the internet because I was on a stand alone wifi service. So my conclusion is that if I leave my phone in airplane mode I can still use it for wifi internet situations and still use my camera and take notes on it without any international charges. Am I correct or am I missing something here?
Thanks!

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
You are correct. Just to be on the safe side though, I'd go to the wireless/networks menu and turn off 3G data and also turn on all of the Roaming Guards. You could also set the Roaming Mode to Sprint Only. I think being in airplane mode is enough but the other suggestions are a good backup plan.

kandle

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This might be too late, but going into airplane mode and using wi-fi only did work for me on a trip to Europe. Obviously couldn't communicate by phone, but could send/receive e-mail and use internet functions.

unclefishbits

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I signed in for the first time in a couple years just to say OP is a winner... A CHAMP! That's about where I was headed with my testing.... but I am really impressed. Thanks for the extra tips poster #2.... all of you. Thanks. You just made our vacation easier to do.... BOFFO!

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Another tip: if you have your Sprint # associated with Google Voice, you can use the Google Voice app while on wi-fi to send and receive text messages and listen to any voicemail messages you might receive.

Dr. M

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
On the Galaxy 3 you need to turn Airplane mode on (this turns both the phone / 3-4G and WiFi off) and then turn WiFi back on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463