Backing up "EVERYTHING" How?

wireguy

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Lost my Samsung Galaxy SII or got it stolen....Had ALL my work on it...
Google backed up my contacts
have my mail "Gmial"
Lost...all pictured on my phone and SD card
Lost all saved voicemails

In the future ....How could I have backed these items up?

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Couple of things.
1. Root your phone, then use Titanium to do full backups. You can then copy these periodically to your PC.
2. Root your phone, then make complete backups via Clockwork, again saving them to your PC periodically.
3. Dont loose the phone (sorry couldnt resist!)
As someone who has lost an android phone before, I feel your pain.
Thankfully, I got in the habit of doing the above 2 steps (titanium backup 3 times a week, and Rom backup monthly, then archive to PC after the ROM backup).
Saved my butt the second time it happened....though the loss of a 32gig micro sd was ultimately the tougher loss!!!!

Reactions: wireguy

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is device specific. When you receive your future device go into the Hack/ROM forum and search for the rooting tutorial. Be sure to read it thoroughly and understand it before attempting to root.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
If you don't want to root, mybackup pro can backup that stuff and you can store it online incase you don't find your phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Losing your device sucks. Very sorry to hear. About the only thing you can do is backup frequently, then you will not have lost much.

Dropbox and box (with box for Dolphin) both are great cloud based storage services, both available in the Market. I use both and highly recommend.

Good luck.

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Also if you don't want to root there are apps like LookOut and My BackUp PRO free and paid versions that allow you to back up online from phone and have webpage suppport. they also allow location coverage with GPS, remote automatic wipe of your info on phone and LookOut even has a loud siren if you just loss your phone and think it's nearby and remotely activate.

wireguy

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again everyone for the great advice.... Forgetting free proggies, ROMS & themes..what is the major advantage to rooting when it comes to back-ups on android?.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again everyone for the great advice.... Forgetting free proggies, ROMS & themes..what is the major advantage to rooting when it comes to back-ups on android?.

It is as a complete a backup as you can get. It is a full system image. All the apps and programs are just backing up individual files and apps.

Blkthght06

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Couple of things.
1. Root your phone, then use Titanium to do full backups. You can then copy these periodically to your PC.
2. Root your phone, then make complete backups via Clockwork, again saving them to your PC periodically.
3. Dont loose the phone (sorry couldnt resist!)
As someone who has lost an android phone before, I feel your pain.
Thankfully, I got in the habit of doing the above 2 steps (titanium backup 3 times a week, and Rom backup monthly, then archive to PC after the ROM backup).
Saved my butt the second time it happened....though the loss of a 32gig micro sd was ultimately the tougher loss!!!!

This is great information. Thank you. Quick question tho....what would be the order in which you restore your data? Or is the titanium backup and nandroid backup the same thing and you just have redundancy in case one doesn't restore correctly? Thanks.

grenland

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
This is great information. Thank you. Quick question tho....what would be the order in which you restore your data? Or is the titanium backup and nandroid backup the same thing and you just have redundancy in case one doesn't restore correctly? Thanks.

No the titanium backup is not the same as a nandroid backup. I used to wonder this same thing myself until I started doing both. Your titanium backups only do a majority of the files on your phone and in general are better for apps and contacts and the data associated with that sort of thing. Nandroid backups are backups of your COMPLETE phone and everything associated with it and are typically made with any of the variants of CWM.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome