Camera shutter sound silenced!

Lawbreaker

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Except that it's on the TMOBILE GSII! WTF?!
Just when I started to accept this BS about maybe there is some law in Japan and Korea about silencing phone cameras and that's why Samsung does it, this happens.
I am checking out a friend's GSII at work and I take a picture with it. Not a damn peep. No focus sound. No shutter sound. Nothing. That is, nothing except the sound of me launching into a tirade. I opened the camera settings and there it is. "Camera Sounds: off" or something like that.

Why? And no, this isn't JUST about taking stealth picture of someone without them knowing. Its about not wanting to always disturb anyone in the vicinity every time I am taking pictures with the ever present BEEP , SCHA-WICK. I love the camera on this phone and its a major reason that I bought it. I just want it, like my roommate, to occasionally shut the hell up and let me have some peace and quiet.

Lawbreaker

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Given your profile name, its kinda hard to help you take sneaky pics! lol!

LOL I see your point.

Sure wasn't a problem on the Palm Pre. Not that it's EDOF camera could dream of being the GSII camera, but still, sometimes I miss the little WebOS things.
And the Touchstone, of course. Every manufacturer should make an inductive charging system.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree. If...and I know that this is a little bit of heresy, but if they made WebOS a legit skin, I would love my E4GT all the more!

And I should say that I have no idea how to silence the camera besides taking video. Not sure how to extract stills from the video yet, but I'm sure that there's an app for that!

dtg755

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
the only thing that works at the moment is rooting the phone and removing the camera sound files..which is lame if you don't really want to root your phone and remove them completely and lose all camera sound.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
My camera has a silent shutter, works during phone calls, and works with less than 15% battery. Not everyone is comfortable with rooting and modding but it does have its benefits.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You can remove the shutter sounds by renaming the sound files. If you want to remove the beep also, you need to use a modified .apk

howiesf

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Look for an app (don't know where I got it) called "Simple Notepad" Get it? It's called that for a reson and the app has a million settings. Im still trying to figure them out but it does silence the shuter and als allows complete blank screen mode too.:-*

Nonja

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Simple Notepad only silences the shutter sound if you access the camera via the app. However, since the app is designed to allow you to take pictures covertly, the screen blacks out when the camera is active (you take pics/video by tapping the screen). So you won't know what you've taken a pictures of until you review them.

Here's the app in question: https://market.android.com/details?...sMSwxLDUwMSwiY29tLnplY3VyaXNvZnQubWhjMTIwMiJd

rmpoole1302

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
My camera has a silent shutter, works during phone calls, and works with less than 15% battery. Not everyone is comfortable with rooting and modding but it does have its benefits.
I rooted my phone specifically for this but I need more detailed information on how to silence it and make it work during phone calls.

Can you please post the steps? I have no idea what im doing. Oh and another thing should I still download all the updated for the phone?

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone specifically for this but I need more detailed information on how to silence it and make it work during phone calls.

Can you please post the steps? I have no idea what im doing. Oh and another thing should I still download all the updated for the phone?

What method did you use to root? You would need to flash a ROM to have all of the perks from my post you quoted. I recommend Calkulin's ROM. If you just want to silence the camera sounds, I posted a guide on how to do that somewhere around here.

Edit - I found the post! Couldn't remember where I wrote it up heh. Anyhoo ... http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...s2-firmware-kies-device-does.html#post1620541

Sent from my HTC EVO View via Tapatalk

Last edited:

swankymoppet

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
it's so f'ing loud! i mean ridiculous! of course everyone's going to look around saying "who's that rude jerk and what are they doing?? certainly something perverted." it makes you look suspicious even if you're just trying to take a simple reference photo of an ad on the subway or whatever. i was so mad when they did the update. but i found an app called silent cam free. it is its own program so you don't have the focus control that you would with the phone's original camera program, but you can choose infinite focus or auto, it does not make a sound and you can choose a vibration to let you know when it's gone off. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma