Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Camera shutter sound silenced!

Except that it's on the TMOBILE GSII! WTF?!
    Just when I started to accept this BS about maybe there is some law in Japan and Korea about silencing phone cameras and that's why Samsung does it, this happens.
    I am checking out a friend's GSII at work and I take a picture with it. Not a damn peep. No focus sound. No shutter sound. Nothing. That is, nothing except the sound of me launching into a tirade. I opened the camera settings and there it is. "Camera Sounds: off" or something like that.

Why? And no, this isn't JUST about taking stealth picture of someone without them knowing. Its about not wanting to always disturb anyone in the vicinity every time I am taking pictures with the ever present BEEP , SCHA-WICK. I love the camera on this phone and its a major reason that I bought it. I just want it, like my roommate, to occasionally shut the hell up and let me have some peace and quiet.

Global Posts
    2,817 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock...for now

Default Re: Camera shutter sound silenced!

Given your profile name, its kinda hard to help you take sneaky pics! lol!
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch->Samsung GS3 16GB Pebble Blue->LG G3 White
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by djjr50 View Post
    Given your profile name, its kinda hard to help you take sneaky pics! lol!
    LOL I see your point.

Sure wasn't a problem on the Palm Pre. Not that it's EDOF camera could dream of being the GSII camera, but still, sometimes I miss the little WebOS things.
    And the Touchstone, of course. Every manufacturer should make an inductive charging system.
    kathykatia and tekaytalks like this.

Global Posts
    2,817 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock...for now

I agree. If...and I know that this is a little bit of heresy, but if they made WebOS a legit skin, I would love my E4GT all the more!

And I should say that I have no idea how to silence the camera besides taking video. Not sure how to extract stills from the video yet, but I'm sure that there's an app for that!
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch->Samsung GS3 16GB Pebble Blue->LG G3 White

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

the only thing that works at the moment is rooting the phone and removing the camera sound files..which is lame if you don't really want to root your phone and remove them completely and lose all camera sound.

My camera has a silent shutter, works during phone calls, and works with less than 15% battery. Not everyone is comfortable with rooting and modding but it does have its benefits.

Someone needs to make a silence app stat!

Sent by my bada$$ SGT 10.1

You can remove the shutter sounds by renaming the sound files. If you want to remove the beep also, you need to use a modified .apk
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

I just hold a finger over the speaker while taking a picture to muffle the sound.

I hate it too. Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't know a way to silence the shutter sound without root on a Samsung.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

ROM
    None

Look for an app (don't know where I got it) called "Simple Notepad" Get it? It's called that for a reson and the app has a million settings. Im still trying to figure them out but it does silence the shuter and als allows complete blank screen mode too.

Global Posts
    2,817 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock...for now

If its this one, then please show me which setting because I can't find it.

Simple Notepad only silences the shutter sound if you access the camera via the app. However, since the app is designed to allow you to take pictures covertly, the screen blacks out when the camera is active (you take pics/video by tapping the screen). So you won't know what you've taken a pictures of until you review them.

Here's the app in question: https://market.android.com/details?i...QubWhjMTIwMiJd

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I don't know a way to silence the shutter sound without root on a Samsung.
    So how do you silence it *with* root?

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Where is this file? I have looked all over my directories

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    My camera has a silent shutter, works during phone calls, and works with less than 15% battery. Not everyone is comfortable with rooting and modding but it does have its benefits.
    I rooted my phone specifically for this but I need more detailed information on how to silence it and make it work during phone calls.

Can you please post the steps? I have no idea what im doing. Oh and another thing should I still download all the updated for the phone?
    Last edited by rmpoole1302; 03-03-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Additional

Quote Originally Posted by rmpoole1302 View Post
    I rooted my phone specifically for this but I need more detailed information on how to silence it and make it work during phone calls.

Can you please post the steps? I have no idea what im doing. Oh and another thing should I still download all the updated for the phone?
    What method did you use to root? You would need to flash a ROM to have all of the perks from my post you quoted. I recommend Calkulin's ROM. If you just want to silence the camera sounds, I posted a guide on how to do that somewhere around here.

Edit - I found the post! Couldn't remember where I wrote it up heh. Anyhoo ... HELP! Updating Samsung Galaxy S2 Firmware with Kies - Device does

Sent from my HTC EVO View via Tapatalk
    Last edited by JayWill72; 03-04-2012 at 02:30 AM.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

it's so f'ing loud! i mean ridiculous! of course everyone's going to look around saying "who's that rude jerk and what are they doing?? certainly something perverted." it makes you look suspicious even if you're just trying to take a simple reference photo of an ad on the subway or whatever. i was so mad when they did the update. but i found an app called silent cam free. it is its own program so you don't have the focus control that you would with the phone's original camera program, but you can choose infinite focus or auto, it does not make a sound and you can choose a vibration to let you know when it's gone off.

Has anyone found a way to use simple notepad to shoot without shutter sound? Another app?
    Banned

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Just get a GSII on t-mobile
    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Uva Silent Camera Free Widget for Android

Uva Silent Camera Free Widget
    It shoots silently, using video capture mode. Someone else check it out and let me know what you think.

Also CameraZOOM FX is on sale today for .25 on the android market. (I just can't bring myself to say play store. it insults us) This camera app has a burst mode that shoots silently.
    This issue might be a deal breaker between me and my new epic. 12 days to go.

ROM
    None

I found the fix final! Look on the Play Store for an app called 'Earpiece.' The setting for the silencer is in the second menu after enabling the earpiece volume setting. Good news is that since installing thus on my non-rooted I777 the option to disable the camera sound now appears in the Camera settings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by howiesf View Post
    I found the fix final! Look on the Play Store for an app called 'Earpiece.' The setting for the silencer is in the second menu after enabling the earpiece volume setting. Good news is that since installing thus on my non-rooted I777 the option to disable the camera sound now appears in the Camera settings.

I couldn't get it to work for me, but I'm running JB, so that might make a difference. I did notice that the shutter effect is quieter in JB than ICS FWIW.

ROM
    None

It could be JB bu t what I did was to enable the earpiece volume option, then the More Settings and enable the Camera setting, back out and use the camera for about 5 minutes. Then disable all settings in ear piece and go into you camera settings and you should see an option for 'Shutter Sound.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast