ICS Touchwiz ROM build RDF Posted

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Before I continue, I should state that these RDF files sometimes mean something, and sometimes mean nothing. Usually they do indicate that something is coming though, but "when" ends up being the big question.

So an RDF file recently hit the Sprint website, which is where build information is posted for devices on the network. Here is the link ...

http://device.sprintpcs.com/Samsung/SPH-D710/FB10.rdf

Of note here is the device (SPH-D710), the build version (FB10) and if you look at the string of text you will find OSVersion Android 4.0.3, which is ICS.

So as no surprise, ICS development is underway for our phone. Based on past history of the timing when RDFs are posted, it's not uncommon to see a build leaked that can be flashed by rooted owners, and I would say it's possible that we will see an official ICS update within 2 to 3 months if all goes well. Much earlier than I expected really.

Don't get your hopes up too high, as these RDF postings can sometimes result in crushed expectations, but it could be good news as well. Either way, ICS is coming to a E4GT near you!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
By the way, if anyone hasn't seen and is interested in what Touchwiz looks like running on ICS, here is a link that has some good ones. It's going to look pretty familiar though heh.

Link to Touchwiz ICS

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

The bigger benefit will be to developers developing AOSP ROMs :) Either way, I'm glad that ICS is on the horizon for our device.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Im going to give Samsung the benefit of the doubt and believe they will cme up with an update in a timely manner. I am hoping they learned a lesson with the update problems that plagued the original Epic.

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
By the way, if anyone hasn't seen and is interested in what Touchwiz looks like running on ICS, here is a link that has some good ones. It's going to look pretty familiar though heh.

Link to Touchwiz ICS

Twiz is mainly a launcher. You can download a ics looking launcher and freeze the twiz one.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Twiz is mainly a launcher. You can download a ics looking launcher and freeze the twiz one.

Yeah no doubt. I haven't had the Touchwiz launcher even installed on my phone since some time on October. But most people don't root, and if they do prefer another launcher they'll still be stuck with the "Touchwiz" ROM theme (status bar icons, dialer, notification window, etc.).

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

genoist

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there any reason to believe that Touchwiz can even be frozen under ICS? This would be great news to me since I'm debating between a Galaxy Nexus (unlocked) or an SGS2. If I could freeze the wiz on the SGS2 that could save me some $$$.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Is there any reason to believe that Touchwiz can even be frozen under ICS? This would be great news to me since I'm debating between a Galaxy Nexus (unlocked) or an SGS2. If I could freeze the wiz on the SGS2 that could save me some $$$.

I don't see why not, but just freezing Touchwiz doesn't magically create a pure stock ICS experience such is on the Nexus. You still need a launcher on the phone, and the ROM elements will still be the same (task bar icons, dialer, menus etc.). For pure AOSP ICS someone will have to port it to our phone (like sbrissen is currently working on) or get it via Cyanogenmod.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree with JayWill... CyanogenMod 9 will be your best option for a pure Google/AOSP experience without Touchwiz overlay.

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the posting was a mistake.
Qualcomm OSVersion Android 4.0.3,

It may be for the Evo 3D, but who knows if the Qualcomm is referring to the radios or the processor.

Edit: Just looked at the first line
UA Profile Vendor SAMSUNG Model SPH-D710 CPU ARM11 ScreenSize 480x800

It's been a long day.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
FB09 leak is available at xda and acsyndicate.com. Can someone throw a thread up in the rom and hacking section? This needs to there not here in general it is extremely buggy.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
FB09 leak is available at xda and acsyndicate.com. Can someone throw a thread up in the rom and hacking section? This needs to there not here in general it is extremely buggy.

I'm in Vegas right now so I don't have a lot of time for the forums. I can get to it Sunday if someone hasn't already.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Vegas right now so I don't have a lot of time for the forums. I can get to it Sunday if someone hasn't already.

Vegas? I don't feel bad for you. I'll put it up tonight. Put $5 on red for me.