Why you no update!?!?

ZenkiS14

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I have my Galaxy Epic Touch 4g, got it on opening day, and it has had 3-5 actual "reboot" updates since I have had it. Everything works fine except my GPS...still super slow and laggy and annoying.

However, my fiance has the exact same phone, Galaxy Epic Touch 4g, and she hasnt gotten any update prompts yet, and hasnt recieved the latest update with scrolling wallpaper, and new unlock feature, and new answer call swipe deal.

What can we do to get her phone updated?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Go to Menu > Settings > About phone on her device and tell me what is says for Android version, Baseband, and Build number.

Also, just an FYI, there have been two offical updates for this phone since release.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fofjjsr and cjones

ZenkiS14

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Go to Menu > Settings > About phone on her device and tell me what is says for Android version, Baseband, and Build number.

Also, just an FYI, there have been two offical updates for this phone since release.

Ok will do, next time I see her. Yea, I have installed both the updates on my phone. Although, my phone has installed the latest update like 3x since its release. Once on release day, then once again about 3 weeks ago, and again today. It prompts me, and asks to reboot to update, and then nothing changes....IDK WTF.

PanchoPlanet

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
"Quote" by ZenkiS14
Ok will do, next time I see her. Yea, I have installed both the updates on my phone. Although, my phone has installed the latest update like 3x since its release. Once on release day, then once again about 3 weeks ago, and again today. It prompts me, and asks to reboot to update, and then nothing changes....IDK WTF

Have you rooted your phone? Can't think of any other reason why the update would not take.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok will do, next time I see her. Yea, I have installed both the updates on my phone. Although, my phone has installed the latest update like 3x since its release. Once on release day, then once again about 3 weeks ago, and again today. It prompts me, and asks to reboot to update, and then nothing changes....IDK WTF.

Haha. Tell ya what. Post the same info for your phone as well. I think Pancho might be on to something.

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I have my Galaxy Epic Touch 4g, got it on opening day, and it has had 3-5 actual "reboot" updates since I have had it. Everything works fine except my GPS...still super slow and laggy and annoying.

However, my fiance has the exact same phone, Galaxy Epic Touch 4g, and she hasnt gotten any update prompts yet, and hasnt recieved the latest update with scrolling wallpaper, and new unlock feature, and new answer call swipe deal.

What can we do to get her phone updated?

I would root in this case

ZenkiS14

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Neither of our phones are rooted at all. We both just use our phones like normal phones lol, nothing fancy.

Her's is:
Android Version 2.3.6
Baseband version S: D710.10S.EK 02
Build number is : GINGERBREAD.EK02

Mine phone is:
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband Version: 2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EL29-CL852097
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.EL29

Mine has recieved the update and been working fine, with no issues. It recieved the EL29 update and it took the first time, and has been fine. I just dont know why its prompted me 2 more times to install it...

Her's has problems with all kinds of stuff, especialy recieving media texts and picturemail. and Im sure the update would help. It takes FOREVER to receieve a picturemail, and it only actually recieves it maybe half the time. Most times it times out out and never comes through. Her phone sucks.

Any help?

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay, as you originally described, your phone is updated but your fiance's is not. I had heard about the update message popping up even on the most recent firmware. I guess it's a bug of some sort. I doubt you'll see any more of them, but if it does happen again I would ignore it by hitting cancel or whatever the decline button is. If it continues and it's bothering you, either call Sprint or you may want to try a factory reset. I doubt it'll come to that though.

For your fiance's phone, it sounds like you need to try to pull the update manually. Hit Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates and select Update Firmware. That "should" take care of it. If it doesn't, I would call Sprint and see if they can get it resolved for you. There may be a setting or profile somewhere in Sprint's systems that are not provisioned for her phone correctly. This could also be why her phone is having trouble with MMS and maybe other things.

Good luck!

ZenkiS14

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I think we have tried that, tried restarting her phone, and also pulling the battery, to no luck. We will try it again, otherwise we will just have to call sprint and get it worked out.

ZenkiS14

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, we got her phone all sorted out. Just took it to Sprint and had them manually update it, however, my phone is being weird.

It restarted today out of no where, and asked me to install the update again....its the 6th time I've been prompted to install and restart because of the EL29 update, I've been on EL29 for months now....

Every time the phone reboots, or I restart it, it asks me to update it again...

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, we got her phone all sorted out. Just took it to Sprint and had them manually update it, however, my phone is being weird.

It restarted today out of no where, and asked me to install the update again....its the 6th time I've been prompted to install and restart because of the EL29 update, I've been on EL29 for months now....

Every time the phone reboots, or I restart it, it asks me to update it again...

Yeah that's certainly not normal. You may want to try wiping your cache partition in recovery. To do this, power off your phone, then power on by pressing and holding Vol UP and Power at the same time. This will boot you into stock Android recovery. Use the volume buttons to navigate down to Wipe Cache and I believe it's either the power button or home button to select (sorry it's been ages since I used stock recovery). Then navigate to reboot and see if you still get the update popup. If that doesn't work, you may also want to consider a factory reset.

If you're not comfortable doing this then I'd take your phone in as well and have a tech sort it out.