Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Default Wireless Tether not working on my Epic 4g Touch

I have a rooted Epic 4g touch with the "wireless tether for rooted users app" installed. I have tried to connect to both my Motorola Xoom and my wife's Ipad 2 to no avail. We cannot even see it on the list of available wi-fi hotspot connections. My co-worker has an Acer tablet and she can see it on her list and connect to it as well. I see it on my phone that she is connected, but like I said, on the other 2 tablets nothing at all. Are there some setting adjustments that I am missing here? I have also tried using the bluetooth connection between the Xoom and Epic and that does not work either. Any ideas or suggestions that you can give me are appreciated. Thanks.
    Awesome Possum

ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

There is an issue connecting tablets to the wifi tether, I just can't remember the fix. What method are you using for the wifi tether, link maybe? Have you tried the sprint hotspot method?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Default Re: Wireless Tether not working on my Epic 4g Touch

Quote Originally Posted by dtm_stretch View Post
    There is an issue connecting tablets to the wifi tether, I just can't remember the fix. What method are you using for the wifi tether, link maybe? Have you tried the sprint hotspot method?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I used to have a rooted Evo 4g that would connect to any device with no problems whatsoever using this app. You aksed what method I was using for my connection and I honestly don't know. I would normally just tap on the wireless tethering icon and it would connect just fine. I have not tried the Sprint hotspot method. Is that the built-in app that comes with my phone? I did not know that I could use that without having a plan.
    Awesome Possum

ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie68 View Post
    I used to have a rooted Evo 4g that would connect to any device with no problems whatsoever using this app. You aksed what method I was using for my connection and I honestly don't know. I would normally just tap on the wireless tethering icon and it would connect just fine. I have not tried the Sprint hotspot method. Is that the built-in app that comes with my phone? I did not know that I could use that without having a plan.
    You can only use the Hotspot app if you have the hacked version. It has something to do with setting up an ADHOC network but again I'm not sure, im just hoping someone jumps in here with the answer.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

I am using the Culkin ROM and it has the Sprint HotSpot hacked and it works great. I could not get my Epic 4G Touch to connect using the wireless tether programs before I got a Custom ROM on my phone. Not with Culkin's ROM is is no problem at all.
    Thanked by:
    Awesome Possum

ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

It looks like cjones is right, I was unable to connect my tablet using the wifi app but using the hacked up hotspot app I was able to reply to this post. If you want to use the hotspot app you need to have clockworkmod installed and you need to flash this: [ACS][Mod][EK02][EL13][EL26][Deodex][Odex]Hotspot Mod Now With 4G! - xda-developers

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Also try the FoxFi app for an easy solution. I found it impossible to setup an infrastructure hotspot on the E4GT with any other app.
    FoxFi also works without rooting.

Its true that most wireless devices have a connectivity issue via add hock 3rd party wireless (wifi hotspot) connection. I'm running caulkins e4gt 2 with sprint wifi hotspot hack and it connects to my PC great. Haven't tested it on any tablets yet. My friend has a galaxy tablet and at that time i was just running a stock el29 kernel with root using the barnacle app off the market to use wifi tether hotspot. It worked with thier ipod but not with the galaxy tablet. Something about not allowing ad hock communications.(not part of the rom) the tablet would only pick up wifi from a hard lined router. Now i know they have some hacks and roms for the Android tablets over at xda developers website. And i suggest you install caulkins e4gt 2 v1.3 for the best most stable rom with extra battery life and hacked "sprint wifi hotspot", which works very well might i add. Thanks to caulkin and all the staff over at xda.

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

..or you could use FoxFi. It creates infrastructure hotspot s without even rooting.
    Been using it for a while now without issue it appears to utilize the sprint hotspot app some how because toy get the hotspot on notification with it.

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

...not trying to shamelessly promote it it anything, it is just the easiest solution.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,127 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by gbean View Post
    Also try the FoxFi app for an easy solution. I found it impossible to setup an infrastructure hotspot on the E4GT with any other app.
    FoxFi also works without rooting.
    Thanks! I normally use Wireless WiFi Tether on my rooted Samsung Epic 4G to connect my laptop, but couldn't connect to my Samsung Tab 7" Plus, so after looking at FoxFi from your post and finding out that if I load PDAnet for Tablets on my Tab and FoxFi on my phone, it now works great, albeit on 3G which is good enough to simply surf the web, it would be nice to be able to use 4G, but it has to turn off the phones WiFi for 4G to work - oh well a working connection, easily beats a no-connect!
    Sprint LG G3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)
    "kickstand4u" mobile kickstands for all mobile devices

Oh my! I rooted and xposed my LG G3!
    Rock Solid and Almost Perfect!

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Yes.
    Makes me wonder though, can you use 4g with the hacked sprint app on Calkins room? Our even with the official sprint app for that matter? I think Wimax might use the wifi radio or part of it, hence not bring able to turn on both at once.

Global Posts
    1,127 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Cool Re: Wireless Tether not working on my Epic 4g Touch

Quote Originally Posted by gbean View Post
    Yes.
    Makes me wonder though, can you use 4g with the hacked sprint app on Calkins room? Our even with the official sprint app for that matter? I think Wimax might use the wifi radio or part of it, hence not bring able to turn on both at once.
    I am rooted on a stock froyo rom, so I can't answer the Calkins rom thing. I am sure someone will eventually figure it out - right now I am happy that I can connect to my Tab when needed.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

froyo? What device?

Global Posts
    1,127 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Samsung Epic 4G (original - see my sig)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Is Foxfi still working for you? I installed it on a rooted FF13 E4gt and my data connection seems to get cut off when I turn it on. Did u adjust any of the settings or did u use it out of the box?

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

ff13 is an ics rom, right? Fox Fi didn't work with ics. I am back using wireless tether on aokp milestone 6.

Sent from my SGSII E4GT