Opinions wanted: Sprint ID - illegal rootkit, or beneficial tool?

Is Sprint ID a rootkit or a useful tool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ackthbbft

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Sprint GSII E4GT back in October from Newegg when it could be had for $149. When I opened the box and went through the setup instructions, the instructions seemed to imply that installing Sprint ID was a required part of getting the phone activated.

Needless to say, I learned almost immediately afterwards that Sprint ID is completely optional, and I would just as well have not installed it. My GF just bought the white model at an actual Sprint store, and they didn't bother with Sprint ID when they activated it for her.

I think I prefer the way my GF's phone runs more than my own, and I pretty much attribute it to Sprint ID.

The problem is, I've known for some time now that Sprint ID cannot be uninstalled. Well, at least not without rooting the phone, which I hear would void my warranty.

How it is that optional software cannot be uninstalled, I will never understand.

So, my question to the masses is:
  • Does the fact that Sprint ID cannot be uninstalled constitute a (possibly illegal) rootkit (a'la Sony's PR debacle a few years ago), or
  • do you find it to be actually useful and are OK with the inability to uninstall it?

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Opinions wanted: Sprint ID - illegal rootkit, or beneficial t

I don't quite understand. Sprint ID is on her phone as well. Can't you just turn it off and go back to stock? I've never wanted to use Sprint ID so I have no clue how it works.

To answer your question, no it is not a rootkit. It is essentially a built in launcher replacement, that falls into the category that many call "bloatware". The fact that Sprint actually lets the user uninstall even some of the pre-installed software is a step in the right direction and goes further than other carriers.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

If you want to switch to the stock launcher go to settings > applications > manage applications > twlauncher > clear defaults. Then exit settings and push the home button, now select twlauncher(check set as default if you want to stay).

BillJr106

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

I swapped back to Twlauncher and uninstalled all sprint Id updates, and noticed a speed improvement. The Locke screen responds better to my touch, and the little lag that was there is gone. It seems sprint id isn't worth the loss of CPU

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital